• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally got my CPL. Girlfriend not to excited about OC.

jonnymcsavage

imported post

I haven't been posting on here for a while because life happened and I have been busy. I got off my ass an applied for my CPL and after about 5 weeks, I go it in the mail yesterday.

I had been gun shopping for the last few weeks, and I came across a used Taurus PT1911 AR that was way cheaper than the Glock I was looking at, so I bought it and it is now my primary carry gun.

I feel that I am ready to OC, after having practiced wash, rinse, repeat a million time and even going so far as to have my LEO relative throw different situations at me for a test.

Only problem is, my girlfriend is really uncomfortable with the possibility of LEO harassment while she is out with me, because of the area we live in (Novi). Anything I can say to her that would make her more comfortable? Should I take her to a meet and greet to show her that it's OK to OC?

Any help is always appreciated!

kyleplusitunes

imported post

oc, unfortunatly can be an uncomfortable thing at times. I just tonight went to red robin and got so many dirty looks, it almost made me decide to cover up, however, I didn't.

it's just something maybe you should do on your own for a while, maybe conceal when you're with her. it would save her a headache in the unfortunate event that you were harassed by LEOs.

open carry is definatly something you want to be mindful of people around you about, if your girl isn't comfortable, don't do it with her. it will show her that you respect her feelings.

maybe after you do it on your own for a while, shell become more comfortable.

DanM

imported post

jonnymcsavage wrote:
Only problem is, my girlfriend is really uncomfortable with the possibility of LEO harassment while she is out with me, because of the area we live in (Novi). Anything I can say to her that would make her more comfortable?
I work in Novi,have OC'd innumerable times at gas stations, stores, and restaurants, and never had a problem. Share that with your girlfriend.

I would be happy to meet for lunch in Noviduring my workday (Mon-Fri), any restaurant you want, and I'll be OC'ing and you can see what does NOT happen. Also share that with your girlfriend.

Now, bear in mind I can't ABSOLUTELYguaranteethat a place won't kick me out or police won't stop by and talk to me, but so far I've never had a negative encounter in Novi. But even so, if it happened you can witness how to properly handle any encounter.

sevenplusone

imported post

I went through roughly the same thing with girlfriend, turned fiance, turned wife. She wasn't super happy about it at first, but the more involved in shooting sports she got the more comfortable she was with guns in general and thus the less she cared about how/when I carried. I didn't OC with her around for quite a while, but always told her how I went and about the positive interactions I had. She also took note of howconfident I was in myknowledge of the laws and firearms in general.Once married, she was always around when I was loading up to go somewhere OC/CC and stopped noticing that it was part of the routine. She eventually stopped caring and didn't even notice the first time we OC grocery shopped at Meijer. Don't force it on her, just keep her involved in your hobby and soon she won't think much of it.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Get a different girlfriend.

I don't understand being with someone who doesn't share your core beliefs, but that's just me.

Bronson
Probably not one of his core beliefs. I understand where you're coming from Bron, but wow that's...

Lol @ Kyle.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
oc, unfortunatly can be an uncomfortable thing at times. I just tonight went to red robin and got so many dirty looks, it almost made me decide to cover up, however, I didn't.

it's just something maybe you should do on your own for a while, maybe conceal when you're with her. it would save her a headache in the unfortunate event that you were harassed by LEOs.

open carry is definatly something you want to be mindful of people around you about, if your girl isn't comfortable, don't do it with her. it will show her that you respect her feelings.

Right. You should respect your GIRLFRIEND's feelings of being uncomfortable, but IGNORE everyone elses feelings of being uncomfortable.

lapeer20m

imported post

my wife also is not a big fan of open carry. She likes to shoot (sometimes she's a better shot than me) and even has her own .38 special she keeps on her night stand.

She is not opposed to me carrying, but she prefers cc, so that is what i do most times i am out with her.

G

imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:

Right. You should respect your GIRLFRIEND's feelings of being uncomfortable, but IGNORE everyone elses feelings of being uncomfortable.
FUDD

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hombre1 wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:

Right.  You should respect your GIRLFRIEND's feelings of being uncomfortable, but IGNORE everyone elses feelings of being uncomfortable.

Just like I tolerate my wife's whining, but I don't tolerate anyone else's whining - I just leave the area.

Or I tolerate my in-laws' nagging.... etc.

There are things you do out of love for someone.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Hombre needs to learn how to properly quote ... type outside the quotes so we can tell what YOU said. :uhoh:
This site is slow and clunky. I'm a member on many other sites and this one kind of sucks on the technical end (andwith some of the losers on here too).