• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Demand Virginia State Forest bureaucrats restore your right to open carry!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

vt357 wrote:
Now all the comments are filling up with people from the NRA who only say they support the legislation. The NRA email that I got said nothing about open carry.

Listen to one of the posts:

The intent of this law was to prevent reckless weapon use on state forest for protection of its inhabitants and patrons. Law abiding conceal carry owners are charged with not using or showing their weapon unless the situation warrants for fear of life and self defense. This change in the code would have no impact to the public at all. I can walk into Wal-Mart with my conceal carry but not have it in the back woods of a state forest where some crazy might be lurking for an easy opportunity. It doesn't make sense to me. You could add wording for those state forest parcels with an office on site for CC owners to stop by and register as having a CC on site so they are aware, but don't prevent them from having it.
:cuss::banghead::cuss:
Register? WTF is he thinking!! :cuss:

The camel's nose I understand, but that is the opposite end of the beast.

Yata hey

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
vt357 wrote:
Now all the comments are filling up with people from the NRA who only say they support the legislation. The NRA email that I got said nothing about open carry.

The intent of this law was to prevent reckless weapon use on state forest for protection of its inhabitants and patrons. Law abiding conceal carry owners are charged with not using or showing their weapon unless the situation warrants for fear of life and self defense. This change in the code would have no impact to the public at all. I can walk into Wal-Mart with my conceal carry but not have it in the back woods of a state forest where some crazy might be lurking for an easy opportunity. It doesn't make sense to me. You could add wording for those state forest parcels with an office on site for CC owners to stop by and register as having a CC on site so they are aware, but don't prevent them from having it.

Yata hey
I saw that NRA alert go out and knew it would be trouble. Oh, well - we need to out number them so we can get unlicensed open carry, too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
vt357 wrote:

Yata hey
I saw that NRA alert go out and knew it would be trouble. Oh, well - we need to out number them so we can get unlicensed open carry, too.
I guess that answers all the questions about why I'm NOT an NRA member and in fact, have my card next to Sarah Bradys picture for dart practice.
They don't represent me and haven't for a very long time.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I figure they read the first few comments and the last, so I held my comment until today.

I support the rule change but as written, is not in compliance with Virginia law. Open Carry is a Right in Virginia, Concealed is a privilege.

"A person’s right to carry a firearm openly is considered universal within the Commonwealth, "
AG's Opinion by Bob McDonnell.

Change the rule to allow BOTH OPEN and concealed!

t33j

imported post

This rule change, if passed would only modify state forest regs but not that of state parks?

It's pretty disappointing to discover new places I want to go, only to find out I am not welcome.

darthmord

imported post

I've got a picture of a sign from Smith Mountain Lake State Park that clearly states...

Firearms prohibited except for those with valid concealed handgun permit.

It does NOT under any circumstance indicate mode of carry. What little regs I could obtain at SML didn't specify either. They all said the possessor needed to have a CHP.

Though in the interest of not causing issues (was a family vacation & all), I didn't pursue it any further. If we go back up there this year, I may inquire further.

kennys

imported post

darthmord wrote:
I've got a picture of a sign from Smith Mountain Lake State Park that clearly states...

It does NOT under any circumstance indicate mode of carry. What little regs I could obtain at SML didn't specify either. They all said the possessor needed to have a CHP.

Though in the interest of not causing issues (was a family vacation & all), I didn't pursue it any further. If we go back up there this year, I may inquire further.

Here is a link to the state park site under frequently asked questions. Scroll all the way to the bottom and their rules are there.:banghead:You don't have to have a permit to be a legal law abiding gun owner. What don't they understand?:banghead:

Now someone in-lighten me the difference between a State forest and a State park. So many varying park rules I am getting a headache trying to remember.:uhoh:

t33j

imported post

kennys wrote:
darthmord wrote:

Here is a link to the state park site under frequently asked questions. Scroll all the way to the bottom and their rules are there. :banghead: You don't have to have a permit to be a legal law abiding gun owner. What don't they understand?:banghead:

Now someone in-lighten me the difference between a State forest and a State park. So many varying park rules I am getting a headache trying to remember.:uhoh:
Yeah I eventually found that and sent this:

Hello,

On the Virginia State Parks website (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/) it is mentioned that one must possess a concealed handgun permit in order to legally carry a firearm in state parks. (It took some digging to find that information by the way) I would like to know where the Department of Conservation and Recreation (which I assume is responsible for developing rules and regulations) derives the authority (VA Code references??) to enact such a ban.

Thank You,
Me

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

We're getting down to the end of the comment period now and still no action from McDonnell.

Will he be McDonnell the Great??????????????

or

Crawfish Bob???????????????????????

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I wonder if I'll have to make a McDonnell the Great Picture?

bob.gif

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I like this one better:
If he intercedes, I'll have to go back and apologize for all the pictures:banghead:
crawfish-bob.jpg