Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Wal-mart wouldn't sell my friend a rifle, is this legal?

Post imported post

So I know this is a little off topic, but I told him I would ask some of you guys. I have a friend/co-worker of mine. His name is Ray, but he has a long, hard to pronounce legal name. Yes he is Indian (not Native American), Yes he is Muslim (by tradition, he doesn't practice). Please keep ignorant comments to yourself. Just to get the facts straight, he was born in India, but has been a U.S. Citizen since he was 7, he is 22 now. He has a Social Security Card, Pays taxes, and has a WI drivers license. Now that we got that out of the way here is what happened.

I have a Glock 19 and I talk about shooting a lot at work. I took him to the range a few times and he loved it. My brother is an avid hunter; me on the other hand, i go when i can get time off work. This fall me and my brother took him deer hunting, right outside of Holmen, WI. Ray did not have a firearm so he was just a long for the ride. But ever since he is hooked on hunting and shooting. He wanted to do some target shooting with me, but did not want to spend a good deal of money for a handgun, so he decided he would just get a .22 rifle until he could get more acquainted with firearm safety and handling. Then buy a bigger bore rifle when hunting season came along again.

So He went into wal-mart and said he wanted to buy a Marlin .22. The guy behind the counter asked him what he planned to do with it. Ray told him target practice. The guy asked for his ID, so ray gave him his drivers license. The guy asked him if he was an american citizen. Ray (obviously getting a little ticked off) said; yea of course I am. The guy behind the counter begins to study rays ID card, looked at the rifle rack and said "do you got a license?" ray said "no what do you mean?". the guy at the counter said "well I would sell you the rifle, but you need a license first". Ray said "to buy a rifle i need a license?"the guy behind the counter said "yup you sure do". Ray really ticked off and a little confused ended up leaving. He told me he couldn't buy a gun there cause the guy said he needed a license first. I told him the guy behind the counter was a racist b*stard lol Prolly catch some flack for this posting, but oh well.

He told me about it and I told him I would ask some guys on this forum and see what they had to say. I know its a little off topic, but thought I would ask.

Post imported post

The only reason he shouldn't be able to walk out of the store with a gun is if he couldn't pay for it.
    We don't need no steenkin license to buy a rifle.
    I bet if he was a middle aged white guy there wouldn't have been any problem.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Yes it is legal. Stupid but legal as so much of Amerika is now-a-days. Tell Ray to go back when the anus is not there or go to his supervisor.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

usaftrevor87 wrote:
    So I know this is a little off topic, but I told him I would ask some of you guys. I have a friend/co-worker of mine. His name is Ray, but he has a long, hard to pronounce legal name. Yes he is Indian (not Native American), Yes he is Muslim (by tradition, he doesn't practice). Please keep ignorant comments to yourself. Just to get the facts straight, he was born in India, but has been a U.S. Citizen since he was 7, he is 22 now. He has a Social Security Card, Pays taxes, and has a WI drivers license. Now that we got that out of the way here is what happened.

I have a Glock 19 and I talk about shooting a lot at work. I took him to the range a few times and he loved it. My brother is an avid hunter; me on the other hand, i go when i can get time off work. This fall me and my brother took him deer hunting, right outside of Holmen, WI. Ray did not have a firearm so he was just a long for the ride. But ever since he is hooked on hunting and shooting. He wanted to do some target shooting with me, but did not want to spend a good deal of money for a handgun, so he decided he would just get a .22 rifle until he could get more acquainted with firearm safety and handling. Then buy a bigger bore rifle when hunting season came along again.

So He went into wal-mart and said he wanted to buy a Marlin .22. The guy behind the counter asked him what he planned to do with it. Ray told him target practice. The guy asked for his ID, so ray gave him his drivers license. The guy asked him if he was an american citizen. Ray (obviously getting a little ticked off) said; yea of course I am. The guy behind the counter begins to study rays ID card, looked at the rifle rack and said "do you got a license?" ray said "no what do you mean?". the guy at the counter said "well I would sell you the rifle, but you need a license first". Ray said "to buy a rifle i need a license?"the guy behind the counter said "yup you sure do". Ray really ticked off and a little confused ended up leaving. He told me he couldn't buy a gun there cause the guy said he needed a license first. I told him the guy behind the counter was a racist b*stard lol Prolly catch some flack for this posting, but oh well.

He told me about it and I told him I would ask some guys on this forum and see what they had to say. I know its a little off topic, but thought I would ask.
    he should call the store manager and complain - allege racial profiling - see what happens - elevate therefater to ACLU.

Post imported post

personally i would go back there with ray and have ray try to buy another rifle. if he gets the same comment, then immediately ask for the highest position manager on duty and get that little ***** azz straightened out on site.

but that's just me.

either that, or go to a more firearms friendly place like gander mountain, cabelas, or a range and get him something there.

Post imported post

So are you going to tell us which Walmart it was?

Post imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
    personally i would go back there with ray and have ray try to buy another rifle. if he gets the same comment, then immediately ask for the highest position manager on duty and get that little @#$%s azz straightened out on site.

but that's just me.

either that, or go to a more firearms friendly place like gander mountain, cabelas, or a range and get him something there.
    I told him go to best buy, buy a digital recorder, record it and threaten to sue the SH*t outta them lol probably not the best idea, but I was offended.

but all in all; I told him we will go back and he can point out the guy to me. Ray is a very relaxed, cool, non-confrontational guy. Me on the other hand, don't piss down my back and tell me is rainin lol

Ray is currently looking at getting a Glock, so once I get mine back, i want him to walk into that wal-mart OCing and we'll see what happens.

It was the Wal-mart in Onalaska, WI. Not sure who the employee was.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I thought Indians followed the Hindu religion (traditionally), not Islam.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    depends on what part of india they are from. big country.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

usaftrevor87 wrote:
    Ray is currently looking at getting a Glock, so once I get mine back, i want him to walk into that wal-mart OCing and we'll see what happens.

It was the Wal-mart in Onalaska, WI. Not sure who the employee was.
    Sent you a PM, please contact me ASAP.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India

Post imported post

Well for one I am surprised you found a Wal Mart that still sells guns!
    But it sounds to be as stated before a case of profiling. Or a good case of a Wally World employee with a power trip in his own little department of the store.
    I once had a clerk [not @ WM] ask 'why' I needed 158gr JHP .357mag ammo, I answered that I was using it for hunting/defense. He answered that he did not think I should have it...I will never shop at that store again...and tell everyone I talk to to take their shopping elsewhere.

McX

Post imported post

have your friend stroll in there, when the knob clerk is there, and drop a u.s. passport on the counter, and say;'last i heard they grant these to u.s. citizens only, here's my 'license' you knob.'

Post imported post

Hey Hubert I will contact you on my way home from work. Around 2-ish. I have been doin a lot of readin and typin this morning and kind of lost track of time and am running behind.

I am pretty sure I work with Ray today, so i will talk to him and get some sort of update for you guys. I just found this forum and this happened a few weeks ago. Just to verify accuracy of my posting, and make sure I didn't miss anything. You know how fishing stories are, the fish gets bigger and bigger everytime.

I am 99% sure Ray wouldn't lie about any part of the story though. He is the most honest guy I know. He once told a younger girl we work with (her boyfriend of 2 years just broke up with her before work), but he told her to stop crying cause she looks ugly when she cries. You don't say that to a girl! lol Most honest man I know ha ha I give ya'll an update soon as I talk to ray. Thanks guys

_TrevoR_

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    Yes it is legal. Stupid but legal as so much of Amerika is now-a-days. Tell Ray to go back when the anus is not there or go to his supervisor.
    What is legal about it? It certainly is not legal to do that if it's based on his religion or ethnicity.

A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Banned

Post imported post

Race and ethnicity is not mentioned in the OP, only ignorance.

usaftrevor87 wrote:
    So He went into wal-mart and said he wanted to buy a Marlin .22. The guy behind the counter asked him what he planned to do with it. Ray told him target practice. The guy asked for his ID, so ray gave him his drivers license. The guy asked him if he was an american citizen. Ray (obviously getting a little ticked off) said; yea of course I am. The guy behind the counter begins to study rays ID card, looked at the rifle rack and said "do you got a license?" ray said "no what do you mean?". the guy at the counter said "well I would sell you the rifle, but you need a license first". Ray said "to buy a rifle i need a license?"the guy behind the counter said "yup you sure do".
    The clerk asked for ID. The clerk asked citizenship status. The clerk demanded and required a non-existent 'gun license'.

And, Trevor, your OP is precisely on topic; expanding the ranks of legally armed citizens and exposing the PC tyrant-wannabes, some of whom are amongst us.

Post imported post

This is wrong. But don't buy a gun from Wal-Mart...or Gander Mountain.

I would suggest Moe's Hardware Hank in Black River Falls. But if that's too far away, Wiebke Fur (110 Rose Street, La Crosse, WI‎) is a good place too.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Banned

Post imported post

I agree. Shop Mom&Pop 'til WalMart drops. Buy American

Post imported post

I OC in the Onalaska WM all the time. I'd be happy to go with you and Ray to go gun shopping, though I'd also recommend Wiebkes. I buy from them a lot and they are great guys. PM me if you want to get together.

Post imported post

Griffin1340 wrote:
    Well for one I am surprised you found a Wal Mart that still sells guns!
    But it sounds to be as stated before a case of profiling. Or a good case of a Wally World employee with a power trip in his own little department of the store.
    I once had a clerk [not @ WM] ask 'why' I needed 158gr JHP .357mag ammo, I answered that I was using it for hunting/defense. He answered that he did not think I should have it...I will never shop at that store again...and tell everyone I talk to to take their shopping elsewhere.
    I would have told the cleck...well thats nice, but ( Talking Very Loudly here >> ) I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR PERMISSION TO BUY THE AMMO, SO Give Me the Ammo. or we get to talk to your Manager !!! & IF it goes that far, I will tell them you insulted me...think you will looooooose your job ?! Me being a rather Ugly & large guy...6'6" 295 pounds, I don't need a gun to intimidate...as Power perceived is power achieved

and if that fails, Blade at 45 degrees.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Well since Master Doug is unable or unwilling to explain why he thinks the actions of the clerk are legal, I will explain exactly why they are illegal.

They are illegal because under the Wisconsin public accommodations law (Chapter 106.52) a business cannot deny someone equal service or to imply that they are unwelcome due to sex, race, color, creed, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry.

It is unlikely that the clerk asks everyone about their citizenship when they express an interest in purchasing a firearm. He almost certainly asked because the customer "looked foreign" to him. Additionally, considering the clerk's untrue statement about needing a license to purchase a firearm strongly supports that he was trying to deny this individual service. U.S. citizenship is not a requirement to purchase a firearm, so the question by the clerk is inappropriate.

Your friend Ray ought to file a complaint with the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division for a violation of his rights under the public accommodations law on the basis of race, color, national origin and ancestry. Might want to throw "creed" in their also, because the clerk could have easily drawn conclusions, albeit incorrect conclusions, about his creed (religion) and based his actions on that as well.

He can reach the ERD by calling (608) 266-6860. I don't think he'll have problems at that Wal-Mart after that.
    A. Gold

Post imported post

While it's highly unethical and probably not wallyworlds policy, a store has every right to refuse service to anyone they want AS LONG at it's not because of the aforementioned reasons.

So he could look at this guy and say "no I'm not going to sell you a gun." and there's nothing you can do about it. What he can't do is say "no I'm not going to sell your brown, Muslim, male ass a gun." That would be illegal.

The guy sounds like a tool. It's too bad your friend didn't know better to get a manager involved right away. Anyway, I'm with the others - don't buy guns at walmart.

Oh, and tell him to get a ruger 10/22 as well. I own a marlin and love it but there just isn't that cool of an aftermarket for them as there is with the rugers.

Post imported post

Complain. This type of profiling is unacceptable.

I don't understand where a major store chain would even be able to allow this kind of activity to occur.

Do the following first:

Store Manager
    Corporate

If that doesn't work:

Possibly retain attorney.

I abhor profiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Post imported post

anmut wrote:
    While it's highly unethical and probably not wallyworlds policy, a store has every right to refuse service to anyone they want AS LONG at it's not because of the aforementioned reasons.

So he could look at this guy and say "no I'm not going to sell you a gun." and there's nothing you can do about it. What he can't do is say "no I'm not going to sell your brown, Muslim, male ass a gun." That would be illegal.
    It wouldn't have to be anything that blatant. Based on the initial report alone I'd say "Ray" has a prima facie case and sufficient grounds for filing a complaint with ERD. How do I know? Because up until 2 years ago I was an equal rights investigator and handled many public accommodations complaints. Now Wal-mart might simply deny his allegations and if there are no witnesses to corroborate his story he may not prevail in his complaint, but I'll bet they'd give him no problems next time he tried to buy a gun there. If they did, he could file a complaint of retaliation for having filed his initial complaint.

A. Gold

Post imported post

didn't that Wally world employee mumble something, like " terrorist towel head" before saying no I won't sell the gun to you. could be a lawsuit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast