• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Wal-mart wouldn't sell my friend a rifle, is this legal?

usaftrevor87

imported post

So I know this is a little off topic, but I told him I would ask some of you guys. I have a friend/co-worker of mine. His name is Ray, but he has a long, hard to pronounce legal name. Yes he is Indian (not Native American), Yes he is Muslim (by tradition, he doesn't practice). Please keep ignorant comments to yourself. Just to get the facts straight, he was born in India, but has been a U.S. Citizen since he was 7, he is 22 now. He has a Social Security Card, Pays taxes, and has a WI drivers license. Now that we got that out of the way here is what happened.

I have a Glock 19 and I talk about shooting a lot at work. I took him to the range a few times and he loved it. My brother is an avid hunter; me on the other hand, i go when i can get time off work. This fall me and my brother took him deer hunting, right outside of Holmen, WI. Ray did not have a firearm so he was just a long for the ride. But ever since he is hooked on hunting and shooting. He wanted to do some target shooting with me, but did not want to spend a good deal of money for a handgun, so he decided he would just get a .22 rifle until he could get more acquainted with firearm safety and handling. Then buy a bigger bore rifle when hunting season came along again.

So He went into wal-mart and said he wanted to buy a Marlin .22. The guy behind the counter asked him what he planned to do with it. Ray told him target practice. The guy asked for his ID, so ray gave him his drivers license. The guy asked him if he was an american citizen. Ray (obviously getting a little ticked off) said; yea of course I am. The guy behind the counter begins to study rays ID card, looked at the rifle rack and said "do you got a license?" ray said "no what do you mean?". the guy at the counter said "well I would sell you the rifle, but you need a license first". Ray said "to buy a rifle i need a license?"the guy behind the counter said "yup you sure do". Ray really ticked off and a little confused ended up leaving. He told me he couldn't buy a gun there cause the guy said he needed a license first. I told him the guy behind the counter was a racist b*stard lol Prolly catch some flack for this posting, but oh well.

He told me about it and I told him I would ask some guys on this forum and see what they had to say. I know its a little off topic, but thought I would ask.

Cobbersmom

imported post

The only reason he shouldn't be able to walk out of the store with a gun is if he couldn't pay for it.
We don't need no steenkin license to buy a rifle.
I bet if he was a middle aged white guy there wouldn't have been any problem.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

usaftrevor87 wrote:
So I know this is a little off topic, but I told him I would ask some of you guys. I have a friend/co-worker of mine. His name is Ray, but he has a long, hard to pronounce legal name. Yes he is Indian (not Native American), Yes he is Muslim (by tradition, he doesn't practice). Please keep ignorant comments to yourself. Just to get the facts straight, he was born in India, but has been a U.S. Citizen since he was 7, he is 22 now. He has a Social Security Card, Pays taxes, and has a WI drivers license. Now that we got that out of the way here is what happened.

I have a Glock 19 and I talk about shooting a lot at work. I took him to the range a few times and he loved it. My brother is an avid hunter; me on the other hand, i go when i can get time off work. This fall me and my brother took him deer hunting, right outside of Holmen, WI. Ray did not have a firearm so he was just a long for the ride. But ever since he is hooked on hunting and shooting. He wanted to do some target shooting with me, but did not want to spend a good deal of money for a handgun, so he decided he would just get a .22 rifle until he could get more acquainted with firearm safety and handling. Then buy a bigger bore rifle when hunting season came along again.

So He went into wal-mart and said he wanted to buy a Marlin .22. The guy behind the counter asked him what he planned to do with it. Ray told him target practice. The guy asked for his ID, so ray gave him his drivers license. The guy asked him if he was an american citizen. Ray (obviously getting a little ticked off) said; yea of course I am. The guy behind the counter begins to study rays ID card, looked at the rifle rack and said "do you got a license?" ray said "no what do you mean?". the guy at the counter said "well I would sell you the rifle, but you need a license first". Ray said "to buy a rifle i need a license?"the guy behind the counter said "yup you sure do". Ray really ticked off and a little confused ended up leaving. He told me he couldn't buy a gun there cause the guy said he needed a license first. I told him the guy behind the counter was a racist b*stard lol Prolly catch some flack for this posting, but oh well.

He told me about it and I told him I would ask some guys on this forum and see what they had to say. I know its a little off topic, but thought I would ask.
he should call the store manager and complain - allege racial profiling - see what happens - elevate therefater to ACLU.

scorpio_vette

imported post

personally i would go back there with ray and have ray try to buy another rifle. if he gets the same comment, then immediately ask for the highest position manager on duty and get that little shits azz straightened out on site.

but that's just me.

either that, or go to a more firearms friendly place like gander mountain, cabelas, or a range and get him something there.

usaftrevor87

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
personally i would go back there with ray and have ray try to buy another rifle. if he gets the same comment, then immediately ask for the highest position manager on duty and get that little @#$%s azz straightened out on site.

but that's just me.

either that, or go to a more firearms friendly place like gander mountain, cabelas, or a range and get him something there.
I told him go to best buy, buy a digital recorder, record it and threaten to sue the SH*t outta them lol probably not the best idea, but I was offended.

but all in all; I told him we will go back and he can point out the guy to me. Ray is a very relaxed, cool, non-confrontational guy. Me on the other hand, don't piss down my back and tell me is rainin lol

Ray is currently looking at getting a Glock, so once I get mine back, i want him to walk into that wal-mart OCing and we'll see what happens.

It was the Wal-mart in Onalaska, WI. Not sure who the employee was.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

usaftrevor87 wrote:
Ray is currently looking at getting a Glock, so once I get mine back, i want him to walk into that wal-mart OCing and we'll see what happens.

It was the Wal-mart in Onalaska, WI. Not sure who the employee was.

Sent you a PM, please contact me ASAP.

Griffin1340

imported post

Well for one I am surprised you found a Wal Mart that still sells guns!
But it sounds to be as stated before a case of profiling. Or a good case of a Wally World employee with a power trip in his own little department of the store.
I once had a clerk [not @ WM] ask 'why' I needed 158gr JHP .357mag ammo, I answered that I was using it for hunting/defense. He answered that he did not think I should have it...I will never shop at that store again...and tell everyone I talk to to take their shopping elsewhere.

M

McX

imported post

have your friend stroll in there, when the knob clerk is there, and drop a u.s. passport on the counter, and say;'last i heard they grant these to u.s. citizens only, here's my 'license' you knob.'

usaftrevor87

imported post

Hey Hubert I will contact you on my way home from work. Around 2-ish. I have been doin a lot of readin and typin this morning and kind of lost track of time and am running behind.

I am pretty sure I work with Ray today, so i will talk to him and get some sort of update for you guys. I just found this forum and this happened a few weeks ago. Just to verify accuracy of my posting, and make sure I didn't miss anything. You know how fishing stories are, the fish gets bigger and bigger everytime.

I am 99% sure Ray wouldn't lie about any part of the story though. He is the most honest guy I know. He once told a younger girl we work with (her boyfriend of 2 years just broke up with her before work), but he told her to stop crying cause she looks ugly when she cries. :banghead: You don't say that to a girl! lol Most honest man I know ha ha I give ya'll an update soon as I talk to ray. Thanks guys

_TrevoR_

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Yes it is legal. Stupid but legal as so much of Amerika is now-a-days. Tell Ray to go back when the anus is not there or go to his supervisor.
What is legal about it? It certainly is not legal to do that if it's based on his religion or ethnicity.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Race and ethnicity is not mentioned in the OP, only ignorance.

usaftrevor87 wrote:
So He went into wal-mart and said he wanted to buy a Marlin .22. The guy behind the counter asked him what he planned to do with it. Ray told him target practice. The guy asked for his ID, so ray gave him his drivers license. The guy asked him if he was an american citizen. Ray (obviously getting a little ticked off) said; yea of course I am. The guy behind the counter begins to study rays ID card, looked at the rifle rack and said "do you got a license?" ray said "no what do you mean?". the guy at the counter said "well I would sell you the rifle, but you need a license first". Ray said "to buy a rifle i need a license?"the guy behind the counter said "yup you sure do".
The clerk asked for ID. The clerk asked citizenship status. The clerk demanded and required a non-existent 'gun license'.

And, Trevor, your OP is precisely on topic; expanding the ranks of legally armed citizens and exposing the PC tyrant-wannabes, some of whom are amongst us.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is wrong. But don't buy a gun from Wal-Mart...or Gander Mountain.

I would suggest Moe's Hardware Hank in Black River Falls. But if that's too far away, Wiebke Fur (110 Rose Street, La Crosse, WI‎) is a good place too.

Serpent

imported post

I OC in the Onalaska WM all the time. I'd be happy to go with you and Ray to go gun shopping, though I'd also recommend Wiebkes. I buy from them a lot and they are great guys. PM me if you want to get together.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Griffin1340 wrote:
Well for one I am surprised you found a Wal Mart that still sells guns!
But it sounds to be as stated before a case of profiling. Or a good case of a Wally World employee with a power trip in his own little department of the store.
I once had a clerk [not @ WM] ask 'why' I needed 158gr JHP .357mag ammo, I answered that I was using it for hunting/defense. He answered that he did not think I should have it...I will never shop at that store again...and tell everyone I talk to to take their shopping elsewhere.
I would have told the cleck...well thats nice, but ( Talking Very Loudly here >> ) I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR PERMISSION TO BUY THE AMMO, SO Give Me the Ammo. or we get to talk to your Manager !!! & IF it goes that far, I will tell them you insulted me...think you will looooooose your job ?!:banghead: Me being a rather Ugly & large guy...6'6" 295 pounds, I don't need a gun to intimidate...as Power perceived is power achieved :cool:

and if that fails, Blade at 45 degrees.