• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

quick question

TylerJ87

imported post

I am looking at a used pistol on gunbroker.com and was wondering if all firearms have to be shipped to an FFL for transfer? I have never purchased a firearm online, my first was through a dealer and I found out later I payed too much

anyway, I am just looking for some knowledge that I am lacking

any help will be appreciated

SpringerXDacp

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
I am looking at a used pistol on gunbroker.com and was wondering if all firearms have to be shipped to an FFL for transfer? I have never purchased a firearm online, my first was through a dealer and I found out later I payed too much

anyway, I am just looking for some knowledge that I am lacking

any help will be appreciated
Yes, FFL is required. They will ship it to the FFL of your choice anywhere in Michigan. If GunBroker does not have the FFL dealer you choose in their records, you will need to fax them a copy of their license. Make sure to inquire about transfer costs by your FFL before ordering.

lil_freak_66

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Make sure to inquire about transfer costs by your FFL before ordering.

some(very few) FFL's in the state wont do transfers.

such as dunhams(at least the ones in malls) meijers,walmart,dicks.

but not many of us would consider them regular gun dealers.

sasha601

imported post

I bought many firearms through Gunbroker.com. I suggest that you follow the following process:

- First, find an FFL dealer that will be willing to receive out of state firearm for you. Ask in advance how much it will cost you. If transfer fees more than $30-35, then it is excessive. Some will do for $15-25. Specifically ask if the FFL dealer will charge MI 6% sales tax on the top of his fees. It is more common now to charge MI sales tax on incoming out of state firearms. You need to find an FFL that does not do that. Otherwise, your transfer might cost you $70-100 depending on value of firearm

- Locate a pistol you like on Gunbroker. Check for seller's feedback. This is critical. I do not personnally deal with anyone with less that 98% positive feedback. Also, look at nature of feedbacks. It will give you a clue if seller is safe to deal with. Also, it is better if seller accepts credit cards. In my opinion, it is worth to pay 2-4% credit card fee and be protected.

- Check if seller is an FFL dealer (non-FFL dealers also allowed to sell firearms on Gunbroker.com). If seller is not an FFL dealer, then check fith your FFL if he will accept firearm from non-FFL. It is legal to do, but many FFL dealers will not accept from non-FFL.

- Once satisfied, bid on the firearm. Once firearm is purchased, wait to receive an e-mail from seller with total amount due. Check if it is correct. If no e-mail from seller within 24 hours, send seller e-mail yourself with total amount due that you calculated. Ask seller to reply to ignoladge that total is correct.

- Call your FFL and ask to send a copy of his FFL to seller (faxed copy is usually ok). Ask your FFL to include your name and Gunbroker.com auction #. Follow up and make sure seller received a copy of your FFL dealer license. At this point call in your credit card payment or mail a Money Order.

- Ask seller to provide a tracking number for the shipment. Check the progress of the shipment. Once you see that shipment is at your FFL dealer, call him and arrange to come over to finalize the transfer. You are done.

lil_freak_66 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
  Make sure to inquire about transfer costs by your FFL before ordering.

some(very few) FFL's in the state wont do transfers.

such as dunhams(at least the ones in malls) meijers,walmart,dicks.

but not many of us would consider them regular gun dealers.

lil_freak_66

imported post

i did ask classic firearms in lansing today if they do transfers.

they said they do,but i do not remember the price,but they strongly prefer not to deal with non-ffl.