Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: My reason for OC:

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    If done with a tactical vest, OCindeed is best; because you can carry pepper spray, taser, cell phone, etc. More tools = more options=more options=better chance for a positive outcome.

    Your gun is a tool, your mind is also tool, too. Why haveonlyonetool for your toolbox? That's defeating the purpose of OC, which is to give more options to save lives.











  2. #2
    Regular Member flagellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    To me it would seem awkward to sport a tactical vest around, but I get what you are saying.

    Right pocket : .380

    Left pocket: Keys, OC spray, Leatherman(knife,pliers,can opener etc.)
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Perhaps not so much a swat vest so much as a fishing vest or a similar multi pocket vest.
    A friend of mine wears a fly fishers vest that fits him well and does not draw as much attention as a kevlar swat vest. holds plenty of stuff and comes in more colors, also usually cheaper and more readily available.

    just my thought

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    1,877

    Post imported post

    Yeah, but then the "experts" here would call you a Mall Ninja.

    Regardless, no matter whatyou say or do someone isn't going to like it, so go ahead and do what you want anyway.

    -- John D.

    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    Gizmoe142 wrote:
    Perhaps not so much a swat vest so much as a fishing vest or a similar multi pocket vest.
    A friend of mine wears a fly fishers vest that fits him well and does not draw as much attention as a kevlar swat vest. holds plenty of stuff and comes in more colors, also usually cheaper and more readily available.

    just my thought
    Any vest is an advertisement for someone who carry's (usually concealed) and so is a fanny pack. I personally think you look goofy in a tactical vest. I'm just sayin'....
    Live Free or Die!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    Any vest is an advertisement for someone who carry's (usually concealed) and so is a fanny pack. I personally think you look goofy in a tactical vest. I'm just sayin'....
    I second that, but of course, whatever anyone wants to do is fine by me... Personal choice and all that.

    However, I'm good with just my gun. Ihave to admit thata guy OCing and carrying pepper spray, a taser, a tactical knife and a collapsible baton while wearing a tactical vest wouldmake me more than a bit uneasy, unless we were in the midst of filming Die Hard VIII. I don't know why some people feel this pressing need to play Jack Bauer, but again, it's their choice. Personally, I think these "militarized civilians" hurt gun owners overall far more than those who don't actively support 2A.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    TJ347 wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:
    Any vest is an advertisement for someone who carry's (usually concealed) and so is a fanny pack. I personally think you look goofy in a tactical vest. I'm just sayin'....
    I second that, but of course, whatever anyone wants to do is fine by me... Personal choice and all that.

    However, I'm good with just my gun. Ihave to admit thata guy OCing and carrying pepper spray, a taser, a tactical knife and a collapsible baton while wearing a tactical vest wouldmake me more than a bit uneasy, unless we were in the midst of filming Die Hard VIII. I don't know why some people feel this pressing need to play Jack Bauer, but again, it's their choice. Personally, I think these "militarized civilians" hurt gun owners overall far more than those who don't actively support 2A.
    I probably agree with you however if you can find a way to carry all that without lookin suspicious and without all of that getting annoying hanging on your belt all day. That is all great stuff to carry with you.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Gizmoe142 wrote:
    If you can find a way to carry all that without lookin suspicious and without all of that getting annoying hanging on your belt all day. That is all great stuff to carry with you.
    Agreed.

  9. #9
    Regular Member flagellum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    IMHO I think One Lethal and One Non-Lethal should be sufficient. OC Sprayand pistol are easy enough to carry without need for special equipment.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    204

    Post imported post

    My non-lethal? Aim low.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    If open carry is your thing then good for you but I myself prefer to carry concealed so nobody knows I am armed. No need to give the badguys a headsup. Just my personnel preference and in no way am I belittleing any one for how they choose to be armed.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    OpenCarry.org. And that's 'nuff said. :P

  13. #13
    Regular Member 4angrybadgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    411

    Post imported post

    Big Dawg wrote:
    If open carry is your thing then good for you but I myself prefer to carry concealed so nobody knows I am armed. No need to give the badguys a headsup. Just my personnel preference and in no way am I belittleing any one for how they choose to be armed.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw
    Seems to me that "giving the badguys a headsup" (sic) does wonders for avoiding crime.

    4 of your 5 posts here have been promoting CC over OC, blatantly or subtly. You do realize this is an open carry forum, right?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    ICC butcan appreciatethose who open carry. I think there are advantages to both. I like the the CC surprise factor butrelaize the value of thevisual factor of open carry. I think it depends on the situtationand the individual which is best at any rate its good to know that more and more people are carrying. I think there is much to be learned from each group.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    Robertjludwigsr wrote:
    ICC butcan appreciatethose who open carry. I think there are advantages to both. I like the the CC surprise factor butrelaize the value of thevisual factor of open carry. I think it depends on the situtationand the individual which is best at any rate its good to know that more and more people are carrying. I think there is much to be learned from each group.
    Welcome to OCDO. Spend a few days reading with an open mind and enjoy our banter. It is harsh at times but is very informative and entertainin.

    LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    Live Free or Die!

  16. #16
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Robertjludwigsr wrote:
    ICC butcan appreciatethose who open carry. I think there are advantages to both. I like the the CC surprise factor butrelaize the value of thevisual factor of open carry. I think it depends on the situtationand the individual which is best at any rate its good to know that more and more people are carrying. I think there is much to be learned from each group.
    Welcome aboard. We're happy to have you with us. it's refreshing to see an attitude such as yours from someone who CC's. It is our experience that CC'ers tend to be quite narrow minded when it comes to OC'ing but OC'ers are most welcoming to CC'ers. One would think that since we're all in this together, everyone would take your approach.

    So welcome and we hope you learn and contribute much.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    631

    Post imported post

    what if you did both at the same time???

    the OC gun on your hip would act as a visual deterrent and the CC gun in your pocket for it's element of surprise.


  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Some cc people do that or some turn the open carry weapon to CC if the situtation warrants. Open carry is a lot less of a problem in some Ohio cities than others in Cincinnatia, its a bit of a problem (understatement) since we have the distiniction of have the most violent neighborhood in the Nation (Over The Rhine) . The cops as well as the residents are extra sensitive and call 911 at the sight of a firearm and the cops arrest you for inciting panic and then you likely pay a fine lose your your weapon and if you have concelled carry license you lose it as well.

    Twoof years ago I was arrested for shooting a chargingATTACKING 80lb pitt bull(drug dog)at my daughters house .Damn dog took 4 rounds from my 12 ga with high brass express #4 shot duck loads at between 15 and 25 ft and it still staggered off for another 50 ft before it died.

    I was arrested for discharging a firearm in the city even though the city ordiance permits one todischarge a firearm to defend one self or to protect others. So I hirered a damn good attorney spent 3k lost 3 days of work my gun was confiscated (later returned on appeal),fined all because because thestupid woman judge said I should have let the police handle it of course bythe time they got therethepitt bullwould have put me in the hosipitial or worse. My lawyer said I could appeal and felt confident I would win but the legal bill would be in the neighborhood of 7k and all I would accomplish is to get themis demanor off my spotless record. So at age 63 I got a record. If I had more money I would have fought this conviction however the city prosector is paid for by the tax payersand in effect has unlimited legal resources and I do not.Do I think I was within my rights hell yes but apparently not in Cincinnati according to one woman judge.

    Strange times we live in, so you can carry open in the city legally but you get the wrong cop on the wrong day and the wrong judge and it can get damn expensive and frustrating.

    So carrying in Cincinnatia, open or CC or even defending one self from a vicious animinal human or 4 leggedhas its challenges. The one good thing that is happening is that as more people get the CC permits the cops dont go nuts if they stop you for a traffic ticket anymore with hands on their weapons and asking you to step out of the vechicle slowly, attitudes about weapons in the hands of responsible citizens is becoming more accepted even in Cincinnati. So open carry islegal in Cincinnati just have deep pockets to hire good lawyers and frankly my pockets are not deep enough, soIcarry conceled. When I was a young man my wife and I considered moving to one of the western freer states but sorry to say it didn,t happen so I do what I can to change attitudes where I live.



  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    you are the tool. if someone were to rob a bank you were in with your openly displayed pistol who do you think theyre going to shoot first? you. then they have an extra gun. you are all nuts! if your going to carry, conceal it! there is absolutely no point in open carry. its for people who have a chip on their shoulder and need to feel superior. its like walking down the street and telling strangers you could kick their ass... thats great tough guy. besides, within 7 yards of each other a knife is quicker in a surprise engagement. leave your guns at home or get your conceal carry license

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    115

    Post imported post

    sleeperx wrote:
    you are the tool. if someone were to rob a bank you were in with your openly displayed pistol who do you think theyre going to shoot first? you. then they have an extra gun. you are all nuts! if your going to carry, conceal it! there is absolutely no point in open carry. its for people who have a chip on their shoulder and need to feel superior. its like walking down the street and telling strangers you could kick their ass... thats great tough guy. besides, within 7 yards of each other a knife is quicker in a surprise engagement. leave your guns at home or get your conceal carry license
    F@#@ing LIBERAL TROLL!!! Why don't you read this post http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...t=waffle+house

    And some of us can't carry concealed(under minimum age), and others don't see the justice in paying to use a RIGHT we already HAVE. Knife quicker in surprise engagement? I'd like to see you come at me from 7 yards with a knife. You will be on the ground before you get 3 yards from me.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Plankton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
    Posts
    414

    Post imported post

    sleeperx wrote:
    you are the tool. if someone were to rob a bank you were in with your openly displayed pistol who do you think theyre going to shoot first? you. then they have an extra gun. you are all nuts! if your going to carry, conceal it! there is absolutely no point in open carry. its for people who have a chip on their shoulder and need to feel superior. its like walking down the street and telling strangers you could kick their ass... thats great tough guy. besides, within 7 yards of each other a knife is quicker in a surprise engagement. leave your guns at home or get your conceal carry license
    Actually, my gun is the tool. Here in Wisconsin, the ONLY legal way to carry is OC. Any other suggestions troll?
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    do you pay for your drivers license? yes. you cant just buy a car and expect to drive it down the street without going through a test to make sure you know what the **** youre doing. same thing shi 4 brains. you cant just let everyone ane their mother carry a gun without first putting them through a training course to educate them. i dont get charged every time i leave my house with my gun concealed. you get charged once every five years to be able to carry your concealed gun almost anywhere. and from 7 yards you'd be toast. sorry guy.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    yes, why are you such a paranoid sissy? with your " i need to have protection everywhere i go attitude" let me guess, your the @#$%hole that is at a waterpark in a speedo with a thigh holster going down a waterslide.... cause who knows, some 16 yr old pool boy could attack you in the wave pool. get off it.

  24. #24
    Regular Member NY2AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    75

    Post imported post

    sleeperx wrote:
    do you pay for your drivers license? yes. you cant just buy a car and expect to drive it down the street without going through a test to make sure you know what the @#$% youre doing. same thing shi 4 brains. you cant just let everyone ane their mother carry a gun without first putting them through a training course to educate them. i dont get charged every time i leave my house with my gun concealed. you get charged once every five years to be able to carry your concealed gun almost anywhere. and from 7 yards you'd be toast. sorry guy.
    Actually, one CAN just drive a car without a drivers license. The issue comes when one tries to drive said car on public roadways. On your own property your free to do as you like. And to top it off; the bill of rights does not protect one's right to drive a car. However, somewhere in that "relic" it mention a [restriction on government's interference in the right to keep and bear arms]. And we all know what to bear means thanks to Heller. Bless your heart.
    If ever you find yourself in a situation where you can't be safe, be violent!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    631

    Post imported post

    sleeperx wrote:
    you are the tool. if someone were to rob a bank you were in with your openly displayed pistol who do you think theyre going to shoot first? you. then they have an extra gun. you are all nuts! if your going to carry, conceal it! there is absolutely no point in open carry. its for people who have a chip on their shoulder and need to feel superior. its like walking down the street and telling strangers you could kick their ass... thats great tough guy. besides, within 7 yards of each other a knife is quicker in a surprise engagement. leave your guns at home or get your conceal carry license

    wisconsin ONLY allows open carry. what would you suggest we do???
    why do I carry??? why does my wife want to carry??? the park that we take our 1year old son to play at the playground has had several woman raped in it. that park is less than 1/4mile from my house. one of our best friends was raped in that park. our property was burglarized TWICE last year. would you like anymore reason why i carry??? it's for self defense.

    let me ask you this (caution content of this question may be graphic). if my wife takes our dogs for a walk and suddenly gets attacked by a rapist, what would you suggest she do??? draw and defend herself, or dial 911 while she's getting forcible banged by some strangers cock, and then let him finish and ejaculate in her while she is waiting for police???
    and YES.....i did just type that. if you are offended by it, then you are probably one of those people who try to ignore the fact that such things DO HAPPEN, AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS DURING RAPE.

    so what would you suggest to do in that situation???





    as far as open carry vs conceal carry. there are PLENTY of news reports of criminals having been deterred by the sight of a person open carrying. but I personally have not yet seen a report of a open carrier "being shot first and having his gun taken away". but by all means, please do post up some links to news feeds about open carriers being attacked for their guns, or being shot first so the criminal can commit a crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •