• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My reason for OC:

Mini14

imported post

If done with a tactical vest, OCindeed is best; because you can carry pepper spray, taser, cell phone, etc. More tools = more options=more options=better chance for a positive outcome.

Your gun is a tool, your mind is also tool, too. Why haveonlyonetool for your toolbox? That's defeating the purpose of OC, which is to give more options to save lives.

flagellum

imported post

To me it would seem awkward to sport a tactical vest around, but I get what you are saying.

Right pocket : .380

Left pocket: Keys, OC spray, Leatherman(knife,pliers,can opener etc.)

Gizmoe142

imported post

Perhaps not so much a swat vest so much as a fishing vest or a similar multi pocket vest.
A friend of mine wears a fly fishers vest that fits him well and does not draw as much attention as a kevlar swat vest. holds plenty of stuff and comes in more colors, also usually cheaper and more readily available.

just my thought

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gizmoe142 wrote:
Perhaps not so much a swat vest so much as a fishing vest or a similar multi pocket vest.
A friend of mine wears a fly fishers vest that fits him well and does not draw as much attention as a kevlar swat vest. holds plenty of stuff and comes in more colors, also usually cheaper and more readily available.

just my thought
Any vest is an advertisement for someone who carry's (usually concealed) and so is a fanny pack. I personally think you look goofy in a tactical vest. I'm just sayin'....

TJ347

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Any vest is an advertisement for someone who carry's (usually concealed) and so is a fanny pack. I personally think you look goofy in a tactical vest. I'm just sayin'....
I second that, but of course, whatever anyone wants to do is fine by me... Personal choice and all that.

However, I'm good with just my gun. Ihave to admit thata guy OCing and carrying pepper spray, a taser, a tactical knife and a collapsible baton while wearing a tactical vest wouldmake me more than a bit uneasy, unless we were in the midst of filming Die Hard VIII. I don't know why some people feel this pressing need to play Jack Bauer, but again, it's their choice. Personally, I think these "militarized civilians" hurt gun owners overall far more than those who don't actively support 2A.

Gizmoe142

imported post

TJ347 wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
I second that, but of course, whatever anyone wants to do is fine by me... Personal choice and all that.

However, I'm good with just my gun. Ihave to admit thata guy OCing and carrying pepper spray, a taser, a tactical knife and a collapsible baton while wearing a tactical vest wouldmake me more than a bit uneasy, unless we were in the midst of filming Die Hard VIII. I don't know why some people feel this pressing need to play Jack Bauer, but again, it's their choice. Personally, I think these "militarized civilians" hurt gun owners overall far more than those who don't actively support 2A.
I probably agree with you however if you can find a way to carry all that without lookin suspicious and without all of that getting annoying hanging on your belt all day. That is all great stuff to carry with you.

TJ347

imported post

Gizmoe142 wrote:
If you can find a way to carry all that without lookin suspicious and without all of that getting annoying hanging on your belt all day. That is all great stuff to carry with you.
Agreed.

flagellum

imported post

IMHO I think One Lethal and One Non-Lethal should be sufficient. OC Sprayand pistol are easy enough to carry without need for special equipment.

Big Dawg

imported post

If open carry is your thing then good for you but I myself prefer to carry concealed so nobody knows I am armed. No need to give the badguys a headsup. Just my personnel preference and in no way am I belittleing any one for how they choose to be armed.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Big Dawg wrote:
If open carry is your thing then good for you but I myself prefer to carry concealed so nobody knows I am armed. No need to give the badguys a headsup. Just my personnel preference and in no way am I belittleing any one for how they choose to be armed.
http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlanta-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d18-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw
Seems to me that "giving the badguys a headsup" (sic) does wonders for avoiding crime.

4 of your 5 posts here have been promoting CC over OC, blatantly or subtly. You do realize this is an open carry forum, right?

Robertjludwigsr

imported post

ICC butcan appreciatethose who open carry. I think there are advantages to both. I like the the CC surprise factor butrelaize the value of thevisual factor of open carry. I think it depends on the situtationand the individual which is best at any rate its good to know that more and more people are carrying. I think there is much to be learned from each group.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Robertjludwigsr wrote:
ICC butcan appreciatethose who open carry. I think there are advantages to both. I like the the CC surprise factor butrelaize the value of thevisual factor of open carry. I think it depends on the situtationand the individual which is best at any rate its good to know that more and more people are carrying. I think there is much to be learned from each group.

Welcome to OCDO. Spend a few days reading with an open mind and enjoy our banter. It is harsh at times but is very informative and entertainin.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Robertjludwigsr wrote:
Welcome aboard. We're happy to have you with us. it's refreshing to see an attitude such as yours from someone who CC's. It is our experience that CC'ers tend to be quite narrow minded when it comes to OC'ing but OC'ers are most welcoming to CC'ers. One would think that since we're all in this together, everyone would take your approach.

So welcome and we hope you learn and contribute much.

scorpio_vette

imported post

what if you did both at the same time???

the OC gun on your hip would act as a visual deterrent and the CC gun in your pocket for it's element of surprise.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Robertjludwigsr

imported post

Some cc people do that or some turn the open carry weapon to CC if the situtation warrants. Open carry is a lot less of a problem in some Ohio cities than others in Cincinnatia, its a bit of a problem (understatement) since we have the distiniction of have the most violent neighborhood in the Nation (Over The Rhine) . The cops as well as the residents are extra sensitive and call 911 at the sight of a firearm and the cops arrest you for inciting panic and then you likely pay a fine lose your your weapon and if you have concelled carry license you lose it as well.

Twoof years ago I was arrested for shooting a chargingATTACKING 80lb pitt bull(drug dog)at my daughters house .Damn dog took 4 rounds from my 12 ga with high brass express #4 shot duck loads at between 15 and 25 ft and it still staggered off for another 50 ft before it died.

I was arrested for discharging a firearm in the city even though the city ordiance permits one todischarge a firearm to defend one self or to protect others. So I hirered a damn good attorney spent 3k lost 3 days of work my gun was confiscated (later returned on appeal),fined all because because thestupid woman judge said I should have let the police handle it of course bythe time they got therethepitt bullwould have put me in the hosipitial or worse. My lawyer said I could appeal and felt confident I would win but the legal bill would be in the neighborhood of 7k and all I would accomplish is to get themis demanor off my spotless record. So at age 63 I got a record. If I had more money I would have fought this conviction however the city prosector is paid for by the tax payersand in effect has unlimited legal resources and I do not.Do I think I was within my rights hell yes but apparently not in Cincinnati according to one woman judge.

Strange times we live in, so you can carry open in the city legally but you get the wrong cop on the wrong day and the wrong judge and it can get damn expensive and frustrating.

So carrying in Cincinnatia, open or CC or even defending one self from a vicious animinal human or 4 leggedhas its challenges. The one good thing that is happening is that as more people get the CC permits the cops dont go nuts if they stop you for a traffic ticket anymore with hands on their weapons and asking you to step out of the vechicle slowly, attitudes about weapons in the hands of responsible citizens is becoming more accepted even in Cincinnati. So open carry islegal in Cincinnati just have deep pockets to hire good lawyers and frankly my pockets are not deep enough, soIcarry conceled. When I was a young man my wife and I considered moving to one of the western freer states but sorry to say it didn,t happen so I do what I can to change attitudes where I live.

sleeperx

imported post

you are the tool. if someone were to rob a bank you were in with your openly displayed pistol who do you think theyre going to shoot first? you. then they have an extra gun. you are all nuts! if your going to carry, conceal it! there is absolutely no point in open carry. its for people who have a chip on their shoulder and need to feel superior. its like walking down the street and telling strangers you could kick their ass... thats great tough guy. besides, within 7 yards of each other a knife is quicker in a surprise engagement. leave your guns at home or get your conceal carry license

vegasche1023

imported post

sleeperx wrote:
you are the tool. if someone were to rob a bank you were in with your openly displayed pistol who do you think theyre going to shoot first? you. then they have an extra gun. you are all nuts! if your going to carry, conceal it! there is absolutely no point in open carry. its for people who have a chip on their shoulder and need to feel superior. its like walking down the street and telling strangers you could kick their ass... thats great tough guy. besides, within 7 yards of each other a knife is quicker in a surprise engagement. leave your guns at home or get your conceal carry license

F@#@ing LIBERAL TROLL!!! Why don't you read this post http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=38521&forum_id=12&highlight=waffle+house

And some of us can't carry concealed(under minimum age), and others don't see the justice in paying to use a RIGHT we already HAVE. Knife quicker in surprise engagement? I'd like to see you come at me from 7 yards with a knife. You will be on the ground before you get 3 yards from me.