• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HCP still valid if no longer a resident?

Kingfish

imported post

I left Tennessee a couple years ago and currently live in Atlanta (don't have my GA permit yet.) My HCP has not expired and I am wondering if it is still valid.

I am not concerned with carrying in Tennessee and I know it is not valid for Georgia carry. I am concerned with car carry in a few states and CC in a few.

We are planning a 4500 mile road trip and all the states we will be going to recognize a TN permit but I do not know if it is still valid. I no longer have a TN drivers license.

I will be open carrying in the states where no permit is needed (CO, WY, ID, MT)

Anyone know of a rule or code section that would invalidate an HCP when the holder moves out of TN?

Thanks,
KF

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

You have 60 days to notify of a change of address. I think that if you do not notify in 60 days your permit is no longer valid. Did you notify the TN Dept. of Safety?

Kingfish

imported post

Good point. I will call the DOS Monday. I did look online when I moved from TN to AL but would not let me change address to out of state (as it was tied to DL) so while I lived in AL I maintained residency in TN (still had a house there.) When I moved to GA I did not think about it because there is no way I am going to carry in GA with the draconian "public gathering" law. Now we have this 9 day, multi state trip coming up.

I will post back what the DOS has to say unless someone has some other experience.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Georgia law prohibits Georgia residents from using another state's license to carry in Georgia.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126(f):
On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128(c):
On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

Kingfish

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Georgia law prohibits Georgia residents from using another state's license to carry in Georgia.
I fully realize that. I am wanting to use my TN permit to carry in states besides TN and GA... "I am not concerned with carrying in Tennessee and I know it is not valid for Georgia carry." Good research though.

Kingfish

imported post

Called the DOS and they said HCP is void when no longer a resident.

I would still like to find the code section for this but oh well, looks like unlicensed OC where allowed and may get my GA permit.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

39-17-1351(b) says you have to be a residentof tennessee anda permanant resident or citizen of the USA.

So I guess you have to be a resident.

Kingfish

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
39-17-1351(b) says you have to be a residentof tennessee anda permanant resident or citizen of the USA.

So I guess you have to be a resident.
Yeah, I get that you have to be a resident to APPLY for and RECEIVE a THCP.

I just don't see anything that would cause it to be invalidated when no longer a resident.

Oh well, will be unlicensed OC where allowed on the trip.