• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help with info on ccw

denverr1

imported post

Hey Guys!!

I live in CT and i have a CT res and FL non res.

I supply cars for music videos , movies ect. , and i travel from time to time
to LA long beach compton ect.

Is there a way to get a ccw for CA. ???? i have family in Visalia CA and i go there when i go out for jobs.

i have a utility bill in my name there as well , but i only stay a few days here and there if i have a job out there

i just always carry everywhere else i work on jobs an sometimes in parts of LA and compton i really wish i had it with me to make me feel alittle more safe ! ;o)

anyone have info for me ;o) thanks guys !!

brad9point0

imported post

Short answer is no. :( even if the PD/Sheriff in the county does issue they typically make the residence qualifications pretty tough to discourage people from coming in that reside in other non-issuing counties.

So UNLOADED Open Carry is about your only bet.

You can call the local police department and inquire in to a permit but non-resident CCW's in CA are practically unheard of.

:(

brad9point0

imported post

Thats what this group is about :D

californiaopencarry.org/

has more info. PLEASE be careful to follow ALL of CA's laws... school zones are the hardest to watch for.

And coming from out of state do not bring any magazines over 10 rounds.

Its a pain to comply with but unfortunately its our only option.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Any requirement for a duration of your residency in California is nowhere to be found in the California Penal Code Sections regarding firearms.

If you maintain a "RESIDENCE" in California it may provide you with one of the necessary elements to qualify for a CCW.

The issue will have to be addressed ifthe Second Amendment isincorporated to the states in the Chicago/McDonald case which is currently before the Supreme Court.

Unlike Connecticut, the California legislature by way of Penal Code Section 12031 permits armed law enforcement members to tactically confrontlaw abidingindividuals who chose to carry exposed firearms.

There are some real horror stories regarding these armed tactical confrontations posted on this and other message boards.

dapster

imported post

I don't mean for this to be funny, but it is in a way. There are actually conficting interests in this and most states in characterizing one as a resident or part year resident.

On the one hand, it seemssomewhat clear that when it comes to gun issues, claims of residency will be earnestly resisted.

On the other hand, a reading of Section 17014(a) of the California Code of Regulations suggests that Califoniahas an interest in finding thatone is "in the State for other than temporary or transitory purposes, and, accordingly, is a resident taxable upon his entire net income even though he may retain his domicile in some other state or country."

That is, your being a resident subjects you to income tax liability on ALL your income. Because there are credits for taxes paid to other states, you might not really pay any additional taxes, but you will most likely have to file a California tax return.

Bottom line: if you're a deemed a resident, California makes money.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The California Penal Code Sections relating to CCWs requires that the applicant be a "RESIDENT".

There are seveal different specific definitions of "RESIDENT" for differnet purposes found in severalsections of the California Penal Code.

For what ever purpose or reason, the California Legislature chose not to defineor state their intent regarding the use of the term "RESIDENT" when they enacted the Penal Code Sections regarding CCWs.

If the Calfifornia Legislature wanted to require a specific period of time to establish residency for CCW purposes, they would have done so.

It is not for local issuingagencies to create new provisions of the law or expand on the intent of the legislature. There is a very interesting 2006 Supreme Court Decison authored by Justice Scalia regarding this type of situtaiton. It involved the Army Corps of Engineers and EPA and how they continually expanded their power without the benefit of any change in the law by Congress.

Though not specific to firearms, one can easily see where the logic of this Supreme Court decsion could easily apply to firearm permit requirements across the country.

[align=center]Supreme Court of the United States[/align]
[align=center]John A. RAPANOS, et al., Petitioners,[/align]
[align=center]v.[/align]
[align=center]UNITED STATES.[/align]
[align=center]June Carabell et al., Petitioners,[/align]
[align=center]v.[/align]
[align=center]United States Army Corps of Engineers et al.[/align]
[align=center]Nos. 04-1034, 04-1384.[/align]
[align=center]Argued Feb. 21, 2006.[/align]
[align=center]Decided June 19, 2006.[/align]

[align=left]
By looking at other sections of the California Penal Code one can clearly see that they know how to be specific and define the the terms "RESIDENT" and/or 'RESIDENCY" for use in the areas of Voting, Holding Public Office, Active Duty Miltary Service, Personal Taxes,Driver's Licenses, Vehicle Registration,College Tuition, Hunting Licenses,Fishing Licenses,Divorce,Child Supportetc..

[/align]