• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starbucks should say "Yes" to Brady Campaign

shad0wfax

imported post

This is what I wrote:

Starbucks has simply made their policy on firearms to mirror that of state law for whichever state they are operating in. In most states the open carry of a firearm is not prohibited by statute, therefore is lawful behavior.

If you don't feel comfortable seeing a patron of Starbucks open carrying a firearm in Starbucks, by all means stop patronizing Starbucks but you're missing the bigger picture; You should really consider moving to a state that prohibits the open carry of a firearm such as TX, OK, AR, IL, NY, FL, SC, or the District of Columbia. In these states (and district) you can feel confident that the open carry of a firearm is prohibited. However, the concealed carry of a firearm in many of those states is not. In fact, TX, OK, AR, FL, and SC are big concealed-carry states. Your only recourse is to move to NY IL or D.C. where you are obviously much safer. Just look to NYC or Chicago laws. They have some of the most strict firearms laws in the country and clearly they must be the safest places, right?

Megan, you say you'd feel uncomfortable drinking a coffee near a man wearing a firearm. I wonder if you'd be more comfortable walking the streets of Chicago at midnight alone, knowing that no one in Chicago is allowed to own a handgun at all, much less carry one.

I'm not at all concerned about someone sipping a cappuccino and reading a paper who happens to have a pistol in a holster. They're probably the one person in the coffee shop most likely to hold the door for me and call me sir.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I wonder if any of these timorous mice think: If you are dealing with a nut or a BG, and are unarmed, then the first sight you will get of his weapon is a split-second after it is too late....

The only bad reaction I've really gotten around here is the little cheese shop across the street, where the owners "had a word" with me when I OC'd' a PPK/s in a shoulder holster. But they objected mainly because a shoulder holster was too obtuse; it put the weapon up where it could not be ignored. As it turns out, "normal" hip holsters, they don't mind.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

There's nothing wrong with shoulder holsters for some of us, they are a very good choice in certain situations (even CCing). I especially like the M3 GI-issue holster, but most times ankle-carry (a compact 9mm due to size restrictions there and "printing" concerns) is my CC holster choice. But for OCing, only 2 holsters work for me: (1) the M3 and (2) a crossdraw on the belt.

Ignorant "Miami Vice wannabe" BS aside, I have aVERY nice El Paso Saddlery shoulder rig (gun carried horzontal) with all the bells and whistles (offside double mag case with snap-on hapndcuff pouch) but the M3 is simpler and stays tight to my chest.

-- John D.

Alexcabbie

imported post

One thing about a shoulder rig is that when you have to use the - ahem - "porcelain convenience", it makes it simpler since there is no heavy hunk of metal in your pants (and in a rest stop or other public utility the chance of the piece falling on the floor are minimal):cool:

Pace

imported post

Never thought of that!!! :)

Alexcabbie wrote:
One thing about a shoulder rig is that when you have to use the - ahem - "porcelain convenience", it makes it simpler since there is no heavy hunk of metal in your pants (and in a rest stop or other public utility the chance of the piece falling on the floor are minimal):cool:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
One thing about a shoulder rig is:cool:
Unfortunately the muzzle is all over the place. An exercise that we did with a laser bore sighter; turn it on and draw in a darkened room, thinking of "Cover with the muzzle only that which would be destroyed." IIRC, a horizontal carry shoulder holster was the worst in the exercise. That is not a reason in itself not to use one but something to consider.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, I know, I've heard that alarms some people, but a gun is ALWAYS pointed somewhere no matter what you do. If I ever hear ofa gungoing off by itself -- whether lying on a table or in a horizontal shoulder holster -- I'll reconsider.

As for thoseafraid ofa gun in a horizontal shoulder holster pointing at them, they should see a shrink about their phobia...I'm not a therapist.

-- John D.

Pace

imported post

Unfortunately, there are enough people shooting themselves in the foot, I have to agree with Master Doug on this one, just for a safety perspective.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I can't help you re: those idiots...yet I have never ever seen that or heard of it happening -- a gun in a horizontal shoulder holster goes off by itself. Ever.

But for the clumsy, careless ortimid, perhaps some other option-- like leaving the gun at home, or not having one at all -- is probably best.

-- John D.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
One thing about a shoulder rig is:cool:
Unfortunately the muzzle is all over the place. An exercise that we did with a laser bore sighter; turn it on and draw in a darkened room, thinking of "Cover with the muzzle only that which would be destroyed." IIRC, a horizontal carry shoulder holster was the worst in the exercise. That is not a reason in itself not to use one but something to consider.
I prefer a vertical shoulder rig, which has the added advantage of enabling a left-hand draw if need be.

What I would really like to get is an upside-down rig with a spring-loaded clamshell retention. I knew a detective who carried a Colt snubbie in one and he showed me that it was really quite secure. (the trigger guard was enclosed fully). Again, the posibility of need for a left-hand draw was its big advantage. The piece fit snugly in the armpit. Undetectable, too...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Okay, Alex...then with your vertical rig, you can shoot YOURSELF in the foot (or armpit) and notsomeone else like I am going to do (as the other poster mentioned might happen -- or was it in the foot also) sincemy gun ispointing horizontally every which way but safe (if I ever wear that particular holster that is). I guess shooting oneself is preferable to shooting someone else? ;)

...just kidding you! :D

-- John D.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Do vertical shoulder holsters as described exist for 4" revolvers? I have a difficult time with hip area and would like to test an under arm rig. Seems like better retention as the wearer would just pull the arm to their chest to prevent access.