• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for female handgun instructor in NOVA area

rabbit994

imported post

My girlfriend has recently purchased her first handgun and with restraunt ban going down, would like to get her CHP. I've taken her to range a couple of times but after seeing her interact with female gunowners, i realize i can't provide decent she requires.

So I'm looking for basic handgun class taught by females or male who has decent experience with femle students and preferably smaller class size.

any recommendations?

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Since this looks to be instruction to meet the CHP requirements remember that not anyone can give it even if they are a good instructor

From http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services

So even if you could teach her everything she needs to know that would not meet the training requiremnt unless you were a certified NRA or DCJS instructor

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If you really want to teach her, have her take the online hunter training class for the certification and you teach her how to handle the gun.
Just reread and you don't want to teach her.

Just be careful who you get. I've found most female self defense instructors fall into two categories.

The run very fast and scream for help...ones, and the Stand your ground and stab him with your keys...ones.

Very few know what color the sky is.

Sorry ladies and I'll save you the trouble. I am a male chauvinist Pig.

Riana

imported post

I believe I was just leaving the shop when she bought that gun. :)

I was just looking on the NRA list, and can't seem to find the woman from whom I took my Basic Pistol course. That's too bad - I think she would have worked out well for your lady. I think Ed may know someone who runs a "women only" Basic Pistol class...

It'll be some time before I get to be a certified instructor, or I'd offer. My offer to take her to the range if she wants still stands, though. :cool:

Riana

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Just be careful who you get. I've found most female self defense instructors fall into two categories.
You're right. That's why he's looking for a Basic Pistol instructor. :p

peter nap wrote:
We wouldn't have it any other way. :cool: At least you're up-front about it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Riana wrote:
peter nap wrote:
You're right. That's why he's looking for a Basic Pistol instructor. :p

peter nap wrote:
We wouldn't have it any other way. :cool: At least you're up-front about it.
:D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

PM Grapeshot. There is a couple from Beaver Dam I think or maybe Studly, but both are extremely active shooters. She is one of the Second Amendment Sisters and may be an instructor herself, but if not should be able to recommend one.

Wish I could remember her name but I have to write myself a name tag to make it home.

rabbit994

imported post

I have no intentions on teaching her "everything she needs to know". I'm looking for Basic Handgun course for her that is female oriented.

No, I have no intention of signing her up for Self defense course run by IL state police that recommends throwing up.

I think I have some good starting places to begin looking for her.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
I have no intentions on teaching her "everything she needs to know". I'm looking for Basic Handgun course for her that is female oriented.

No, I have no intention of signing her up for Self defense course run by IL state police that recommends throwing up.

FWIW, when my wife decided to get her CHP, I had much the same situation. I didn't want to teach her because it just doesn't work out most of the time.

I signed her uup for Pro Shooters class and she loved it

You can read about it here:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=1298
http://news.oldva.org/?p=1342
http://news.oldva.org/?p=1418

10mm

imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
My girlfriend has recently purchased her first handgun and with restraunt ban going down, would like to get her CHP. I've taken her to range a couple of times but after seeing her interact with female gunowners, i realize i can't provide decent she requires.

So I'm looking for basic handgun class taught by females or male who has decent experience with femle students and preferably smaller class size.

any recommendations?
If she is in NOVA I would be glad to help her out. Send me a PM and I'll get the information to you. I have tons of female students.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rabbit994 wrote:

You know, as an instructor with over 4000 students, I really kind of take offence to this line of thought.

Why does it have to be a female instructor. A good quality firearms instructor should be able to teach her what she needs to know.

Other than personal experience with holster issues why do you think a female would be better?

Riana

imported post

pourshot wrote:
rabbit994 wrote:

You know, as an instructor with over 4000 students, I really kind of take offence to this line of thought.

Why does it have to be a female instructor. A good quality firearms instructor should be able to teach her what she needs to know.

Other than personal experience with holster issues why do you think a female would be better?

I'm sure it's nothing personal, or against the male gender in general.

Everyone has their own learning style. Some women are just more comfortable being taught by a woman, just as I'm sure some men learn better when taught by a man. It's just a preference thing. Anything to make the student feel more at-ease is worthwhile, I think.

And in the OPs defense, he did say:
So I'm looking for basic handgun class taught by females or male who has decent experience with female students and preferably smaller class size.
I know when I took my basic pistol class, I went looking for small class size, and female instructor. I was very pleased with my selection - I was one of 2 students in the class, and got a lot of personalized attention on the range, which I think was part of the reason I have grown to really like shooting.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Rabbit: where exactly do you want to have the course taught?

Actually, there is a big difference in female instructors and male instructors for female students. It has to do with posture, balance,and pelvic structure, among other things. Betsy Hostrop (NRA training counsellor who taughtsome ofthe instructor certification courses I took) taught me a lot about that.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Riana wrote:
And in the OPs defense, he did say "female instructor, or male instructor with experience teaching females."
OK, your point is well made... as I (sheepish grin) I did skim over the "...or male..." portion.

I stand, and sit, corrected.... My apologies.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

user wrote:
Betsy Hostrop (NRA training counsellor who taught some of the instructor certification courses I took) taught me a lot about that. 
yeah, ole Betsy will pull out her ruler and measure from your hip to your elbow and create a spreadsheet that will show you some numbers that explain differences of carry between men and women.

jev2k

imported post

Call the NRA and ask for one. They have some fantastic instructors. One of them <can't remember her name!> used to be a police officer and teaches the intro to handguns / basic pistol course. Highly highly recommend