Thread: Looking for female handgun instructor in NOVA area

Post imported post

My girlfriend has recently purchased her first handgun and with restraunt ban going down, would like to get her CHP. I've taken her to range a couple of times but after seeing her interact with female gunowners, i realize i can't provide decent she requires.

So I'm looking for basic handgun class taught by females or male who has decent experience with femle students and preferably smaller class size.

any recommendations?

Post imported post

Since this looks to be instruction to meet the CHP requirements remember that not anyone can give it even if they are a good instructor

From http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services

So even if you could teach her everything she needs to know that would not meet the training requiremnt unless you were a certified NRA or DCJS instructor
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

If you really want to teach her, have her take the online hunter training class for the certification and you teach her how to handle the gun.
    Just reread and you don't want to teach her.

Just be careful who you get. I've found most female self defense instructors fall into two categories.

The run very fast and scream for help...ones, and the Stand your ground and stab him with your keys...ones.

Very few know what color the sky is.

Sorry ladies and I'll save you the trouble. I am a male chauvinist Pig.

Post imported post

I believe I was just leaving the shop when she bought that gun.

I was just looking on the NRA list, and can't seem to find the woman from whom I took my Basic Pistol course. That's too bad - I think she would have worked out well for your lady. I think Ed may know someone who runs a "women only" Basic Pistol class...

It'll be some time before I get to be a certified instructor, or I'd offer. My offer to take her to the range if she wants still stands, though.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Just be careful who you get. I've found most female self defense instructors fall into two categories.
    You're right. That's why he's looking for a Basic Pistol instructor. :P

peter nap wrote:
    We wouldn't have it any other way. At least you're up-front about it.

Post imported post

Riana wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    You're right. That's why he's looking for a Basic Pistol instructor. :P

peter nap wrote:
    We wouldn't have it any other way. At least you're up-front about it.

Post imported post

PM Grapeshot. There is a couple from Beaver Dam I think or maybe Studly, but both are extremely active shooters. She is one of the Second Amendment Sisters and may be an instructor herself, but if not should be able to recommend one.

Wish I could remember her name but I have to write myself a name tag to make it home.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

We always have a good amount of ladies in our classes and I've done shooting lessons for a number of ladies with good results. I actually find that women are easier to teach shooting skills to than men. I'd be happy to help her.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Silver Eagle Group on Ashburn has a VERY qualified female instructor named Nikki.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Hokie wrote:
    if you could teach her everything she needs to know
    then just have her her just go to http://www.virginiaCHPtraining.com for 39.99 and one hour of her time.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I have no intentions on teaching her "everything she needs to know". I'm looking for Basic Handgun course for her that is female oriented.

No, I have no intention of signing her up for Self defense course run by IL state police that recommends throwing up.

I think I have some good starting places to begin looking for her.

Post imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
    I have no intentions on teaching her "everything she needs to know". I'm looking for Basic Handgun course for her that is female oriented.

No, I have no intention of signing her up for Self defense course run by IL state police that recommends throwing up.

FWIW, when my wife decided to get her CHP, I had much the same situation. I didn't want to teach her because it just doesn't work out most of the time.

I signed her uup for Pro Shooters class and she loved it

You can read about it here:
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=1298
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=1342
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=1418

Post imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
    My girlfriend has recently purchased her first handgun and with restraunt ban going down, would like to get her CHP. I've taken her to range a couple of times but after seeing her interact with female gunowners, i realize i can't provide decent she requires.

So I'm looking for basic handgun class taught by females or male who has decent experience with femle students and preferably smaller class size.

any recommendations?

If she is in NOVA I would be glad to help her out. Send me a PM and I'll get the information to you. I have tons of female students.

Post imported post

rabbit994 wrote:

You know, as an instructor with over 4000 students, I really kind of take offence to this line of thought.

Why does it have to be a female instructor. A good quality firearms instructor should be able to teach her what she needs to know.

Other than personal experience with holster issues why do you think a female would be better?

Post imported post

pourshot wrote:
    rabbit994 wrote:

You know, as an instructor with over 4000 students, I really kind of take offence to this line of thought.

Why does it have to be a female instructor. A good quality firearms instructor should be able to teach her what she needs to know.

Other than personal experience with holster issues why do you think a female would be better?
    I'm sure it's nothing personal, or against the male gender in general.

Everyone has their own learning style. Some women are just more comfortable being taught by a woman, just as I'm sure some men learn better when taught by a man. It's just a preference thing. Anything to make the student feel more at-ease is worthwhile, I think.

And in the OPs defense, he did say:
    So I'm looking for basic handgun class taught by females or male who has decent experience with female students and preferably smaller class size.
    I know when I took my basic pistol class, I went looking for small class size, and female instructor. I was very pleased with my selection - I was one of 2 students in the class, and got a lot of personalized attention on the range, which I think was part of the reason I have grown to really like shooting.

Post imported post

Rabbit: where exactly do you want to have the course taught?

Actually, there is a big difference in female instructors and male instructors for female students. It has to do with posture, balance,and pelvic structure, among other things. Betsy Hostrop (NRA training counsellor who taughtsome ofthe instructor certification courses I took) taught me a lot about that.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

Riana wrote:
    And in the OPs defense, he did say "female instructor, or male instructor with experience teaching females."
    OK, your point is well made... as I (sheepish grin) I did skim over the "...or male..." portion.

I stand, and sit, corrected.... My apologies.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    Betsy Hostrop (NRA training counsellor who taught¬*some of¬*the instructor certification courses I took) taught me a lot about that.¬*
    yeah, ole Betsy will pull out her ruler and measure from your hip to your elbow and create a spreadsheet that will show you some numbers that explain differences of carry between men and women.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

Call the NRA and ask for one. They have some fantastic instructors. One of them <can't remember her name!> used to be a police officer and teaches the intro to handguns / basic pistol course. Highly highly recommend

Post imported post

pourshot wrote:
    A good quality firearms instructor should be able to teach her what she needs to know.
    I understand the nature of the request, but I agree with pourshot here. What you need is a good instructor, regardless of gender.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

I went to Proshooters Utah CHP class and found it very informative.My Fiance and I attended a class in the Hampton Roads area for our Virginia CHP and we both found it to be a bit on the unprofessional side. They did not seem to really haveany idea on how to hold a training class. They said they would "limit" the class to 15 based on the size of the classroom. We ended up with 22 (they accepted 2 people who 'walked up' and did not register prior). I had to sit in the aisle without a table....

My experience taking the Proshooters class was great. Plenty of room and very comfortable. I will be sending my fiance and Mother to the Utah CHP class this spring.

Post imported post

Grif77 wrote:
    I went to Proshooters Utah CHP class and found it very informative.My Fiance and I attended a class in the Hampton Roads area for our Virginia CHP and we both found it to be a bit on the unprofessional side. They did not seem to really haveany idea on how to hold a training class. They said they would "limit" the class to 15 based on the size of the classroom. We ended up with 22 (they accepted 2 people who 'walked up' and did not register prior). I had to sit in the aisle without a table....

My experience taking the Proshooters class was great. Plenty of room and very comfortable. I will be sending my fiance and Mother to the Utah CHP class this spring.

Thank you Grif77! Glad that you enjoyed the class.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

I think if you check out Tina Wilson twilsoncohen@hotmail.com, out of Centreville, you and your Girlfriend will not be disapointed. You can find her on www.nrainstructors.org. she is listed under centreville teaching basic pistol.

Post imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
    I think if you check out Tina Wilson twilsoncohen@hotmail.com, out of Centreville, you and your Girlfriend will not be disapointed. You can find her on http://www.nrainstructors.org. she is listed under centreville teaching basic pistol.
    That is the woman from whom I took my class (I wasn't looking under Centreville - so I couldn't find her listed). I very much enjoyed her class, and the personal attention at the range was excellent.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    We always have a good amount of ladies in our classes and I've done shooting lessons for a number of ladies with good results. I actually find that women are easier to teach shooting skills to than men. I'd be happy to help her.
    +1 on that. Women do this crazy thing called "listening," and "paying attention," and they don't try to act all cocky and think they know everything right off the bat. They are more willing to drop bad habits and are less afraid of not "looking cool." Downside: helping them get over the bang factor can be a big obstacle, and I've informally instructed a few that no matter what you do, they are still scared of the bang.