• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol grip makes me emotional

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

So, after receiving my sidearm back I started using the sidearm as my primary carry once again. And went shooting at the range yesterday with it for the first time in nearly a year.

Although I had fought for over two months to get my property back, there was, and is a part of me that feels a certain way when I hold this particular handgun in my hand.

Just typing this kinda makes me anxious. I thought about selling it (S&W Sigma), it is a great handgun, I have shot thousands of rounds through it, and ergonomically it feels great in my hand...but the tactile touch of the pistol grip stirs something that is upsetting emotionally in me.

LOL, this is probably why on some gun chats there are somany men that wish women wouldn't joingun chat because we start posting emotional crap.

I am not looking for details of experiences by anyone, but am curious if there are others who might have had an 'incident' with a particular handgun, and when they hold the handgun post-incident, if it kinda bothers you...if that makes any sense.

Maybe I should take a more logical approach to this. Logic seems to only go so far, and not far enough for me to emotionally cut myself off from feeling the way that I do when I have this particular handgun.

sirpuma

imported post

Guys aren't usually as emotionally attached to objects because we tend to think more logically where women tend to think more emotionally. That's why women make better nurturers. I suppose it's possible, though. When traumatic events occur, as humans we make a psychological attachment to the event with whatever object was involved. The object can help stir up emotions and thoughts of the traumatic event and so we want to detach ourselves from the object.

I would guess that this is more likely with women than men because of the way women process information compared to men. Now what you have to do is figure out for yourself how you want to handle this information. You can sell the pistol and buy a different one, or you can keep it but leave it at home and use a different one for daily carry, or you can overcome your feelings and carry on with this one. The logical thing (what a guy may do) is to simply understand where the feeling comes from and push it into the "past" folder of the mind and practice, practice, practice with the pistol to retrain our body and mind to be one with it. The emotional thing to do would be to understand where the feeling is coming from and remove the object that sparks those feelings from your environment. Or you can do something in the middle.

The choice is yours and it's a personal thing. Nothing anyone here can say that will change the fact that you're the one who has to make the decision. And you're the only one who can say what the right decision is. Either way, just be sure to stay armed and stay sharp. Whatever you chose to carry, be sure to practice with it till you can't get it wrong, then practice some more.

FMCDH

imported post

Yea, its perfectly fine, its just a type of transference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transference

Just recognize it for what it is and takes steps to get past it. :)

Remember, its just a tool, and it doesn't have any feelings, one way or another, for you.

It dosnt care if it was sitting in an evidence box, or anyplace else, any more than a screwdriver cares that its life is mostly spent in a tool box.

In-fact, you can think of it that way if it helps. You got back a screwdriver! An expensive screwdriver, but a hunk of metal all the same. ;)

Sell it, shelf it, or wear it to bed (unloaded hopefully) it really doesn't matter as long as YOU are ok with it.

Hope that helps.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
In-fact, you can think of it that way if it helps. You got back a screwdriver! An expensive screwdriver, but a hunk of metal all the same. ;)

LOL, this line made me laugh. I am going to keep that handgun, shoot the hell out of the thing, and 'get over it'...eventually, I am sure.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

LOL, this line made me laugh. I am going to keep that handgun, shoot the hell out of the thing, and 'get over it'...eventually, I am sure.
Hang in there! You can do it.

BTW - Nice meeting you at Dixie's last weekend.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Nice meeting you, although, I am not sure who you are. Once we go to a few more, people will become more familiar in relation to their name online.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Nice meeting you, although, I am not sure who you are. Once we go to a few more, people will become more familiar in relation to their name online.
Lol, that's the only way I recognize people I meet at meets.

"I'm blah, blah"

".........uhhhhh what's your usename? "
"ooh!"
:D

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Sylvia you do what you feel is right.
This site isn't just for gun guys. And we could always use more female prospective in our discussions here.

Batousaii

imported post

Hi Sylvia,

- I do kinda know the feeling of an "awkward gun" ..

- I been out of the Army Infantry now for almost 7 years. during my time in the Army, i owned several personal weapons (kept in the armory), but at that time had no interest in buying an AR-15, as to me, it always felt like work. Recently, a friend of mine has been talking alot about building an AR-15, and i had agreed to help plan it. Thus started the itch toacquire my own again. Now, I been to a few gun shows since deciding to get an AR-15, and remember it is 7 years past my time in the infantry, however, the full size M16A2 styled rifles (you current army/marine peeps call it the "musket" i believe), and dammit, still feel like work to me - lol - reminds me of sweat, sand, hot sun (and yes frozen wastelands and snow), carrying waaay more than a person should carry, and walking waay longer than a person should walk, etc. etc... but truth be known, my hands actually miss it now! - Picking one up.. i felt .. like seeing and old friend.

- Only recently does it make me feel like I am reminiscent of those day, and have i felt that the rifle can be a sport/fun item to play with. None of my other guns really did that (stirred feelings and memories) So, recently (yesterday - and yes pics soon) I acquired an old XM177E2 Styled shorty AR-15 from Oly Arms (SGW Stop-sign Receiver), and the feeling has greatly subsided, and i did choose an old A1 style to offset the residual view.Admittedly the Old Musket does still give me a feeling, but one i am eager to embrace again. Nostalgic memories now, and something that tells me how far i have come in life, and what I have learned from the myriad of experiences. I suppose for you, being at the beginning, will have a bit to process, but in time, it does mellow out, and almost becomes like an old friend that got you through some tough times... An A2-Musket is on my list now, though it will probably always hold a special place in my heart, and will always feel a little different than all my other rifles.

- Peace be with you, and dont sell your gun, you'll miss it in time, and might just realise how much it has shown you can trust it now... it'll be an old friend someday.

;)Bat