• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Wiki and OCDO

Paladin4CA

imported post

I was looking over the NRA's Wiki page and noticed at the bottom where there is a list of pro and anti "gun" organizations that OCDO is not listed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rifle_Association

I then searched for OC in Wiki and found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_carry

But there should be a Wiki page dedicated to OCDO and OCDO should be added to the list of "pro-gun" organizations in that list that appears on the bottom of the NRA's and other org's Wiki pages.

No, I don't have the time or skill to do this myself, but thought I'd post this idea in case there was someone here who does have those (and, hopefully, a better pic of an OCer for the OC Wiki page).

BTW I don't like describing us as being "pro-gun" as much as I like describing ourselves as being anti-crime, pro-self-defense, anti-tyranny, and pro-freedom. Guns, for me, are mostly a means to supporting those ends.

Dreamer

imported post

I don't mean any disrespect to the guy who's picture is on the Open Carry Wiki page, but it seems to me that it might be better to have a a pic like one of the ones in the header of this forum.

A photo of a mother OCing, or a pretty young woman would be a lot more "sympathetic" and serve to "normalize" the cause a little better, IMO.

Just a thought...

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I don't mean any disrespect to the guy who's picture is on the Open Carry Wiki page, but it seems to me that it might be better to have a a pic like one of the ones in the header of this forum.

A photo of a mother OCing, or a pretty young woman would be a lot more "sympathetic" and serve to "normalize" the cause a little better, IMO.

Just a thought...
It is good that you put "normalize" in the double-quotes that I take to mean 'used in a special way', because "the guy who's picture[d][sic]" is the normal openly armed citizen that naive readers should expect. A pretty lady might be better marketing but it would be mere marketeering - saying anything and making any impression for a 'sale'.

Just a slightly deeper thought...

As to the rest of the Wiki article, I am surprised that it has survived as it has, opening with an unsubstantiated statement.

david.ross

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I don't mean any disrespect to the guy who's picture is on the Open Carry Wiki page,
I'll gladly disrespect any open carrier which looks like a THUG. Looking like a thug does NOTHING for the cause and will cause damage. If a person isn't going to buy fine attire or even some plain colored uniforms, don't bother open carrying.

I've tried different clothes and tested out reactions among citizens.
Here are some common sense guidelines
1) Dress properly in at LEAST jeans of good repair and a flannel/plain shirt
a) Don't dress like a thug
b) Don't wear clothes with holes
c) Don't wear shirts which say, "chitty chitty bang bang"
d) Don't wear shirts with obnoxious logos or jerseys.
e) Tuck in your shirt
2) If you don't want to do rule 1, just burn all of your clothes and wear BDUs.

I wear a uniform, though I've always tried to keep my khakis and shirt the same color respectively. After tiring with "let's try to match colors and brands" I decided to switch to uniforms entirely.