Thread: Spotsylvania CHP application

Post imported post

I'm trying to follow up on Spotsylvania since they eliminated the fingerprinting requirement in December 2008. Does anyone happen to know if they changed their application fee, or if they still charge the full amount and keep that which had previously been paid to the FBI?

Their web site has no information beyond a .pdf file for the application itself, and a link to the VSP general info page.

TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I dunno, but I'll bet its not more than $50 !
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I believe "Full Price". I'm going in in a few days to do my renewal and will confirm.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    I believe "Full Price". I'm going in in a few days to do my renewal and will confirm.
    Thanks, let me know, and if you feel like it, see if you can get any feedback on how the lack of fingerprinting has been going for them in general. I brought this up with a couple of the Fredericksburg City council members right after Spotsy dropped the requirement, but it was like talking to a brick wall, no feedback whatsoever.

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Ok, I went today to submit the renewal CHP apps for my wife and myself. It was $50 per application. The receipt says:
    CODE DESCRIPTION PAID
    104 SP EXP-TAG/CWP 5.00
    237 MISC. - LOCAL COSTS 35.00
    304 CLERK CIVIL FEE 10.00

TENDERED 50.00
    I didn't get to ask about the lack of fingerprinting. The clerk I worked with was a little scattered this morning and I probably further flustered her by refusing to provide a copy of my wife's drivers license to accompany her already signed and notarized application.

Short story: my wife couldn't take off to go to the courthouse this morning so I had her take the CHP app to work yesterday to have it be notarized by a notary in her office. I submitted a legally complete app for my wife but the clerk wanted a copy of her D/L. I said it wasn't required by state law and felt the app is complete as is. The clerks office accepted the and I have a receipt of payment of her app fee.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    Ok, I went today to submit the renewal CHP apps for my wife and myself. It was $50 per application. The receipt says:
    CODE DESCRIPTION PAID
    104 SP EXP-TAG/CWP 5.00
    237 MISC. - LOCAL COSTS 35.00
    304 CLERK CIVIL FEE 10.00

TENDERED 50.00
    I didn't get to ask about the lack of fingerprinting. The clerk I worked with was a little scattered this morning and I probably further flustered her by refusing to provide a copy of my wife's drivers license to accompany her already signed and notarized application.

Short story: my wife couldn't take off to go to the courthouse this morning so I had her take the CHP app to work yesterday to have it be notarized by a notary in her office. I submitted a legally complete app for my wife but the clerk wanted a copy of her D/L. I said it wasn't required by state law and felt the app is complete as is. The clerks office accepted the and I have a receipt of payment of her app fee.
    Thanks! Of course, they can't fingerprint for a renewal anyway, so that money does stay local.

I guess I will wait to see how HB 870 turns out and if that fails, then start up again with the city on repealing the requirement.

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    I guess I will wait to see how HB 870 turns out and if that fails, then start up again with the city on repealing the requirement.
    Maybe the city council isn't the best route. I feel the Spotsy BOS were much more receptive since Sheriff Smith fully supported it and requested they stop all CHP fingerprinting.

Who perform the background check of CHP applicants: Sheriff or Police department? I know the PD offers fingerprinting services for limited hours two days a week. Would the Sheriff or the Police Chief be more agreeable to keeping the money otherwise sent to the FBI to run/process the fingerprints"?
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    Maybe the city council isn't the best route. I feel the Spotsy BOS were much more receptive since Sheriff Smith fully supported it and requested they stop all CHP fingerprinting.

Who perform the background check of CHP applicants: Sheriff or Police department? I know the PD offers fingerprinting services for limited hours two days a week. Would the Sheriff or the Police Chief be more agreeable to keeping the money otherwise sent to the FBI to run/process the fingerprints"?
    That was probably going to be my strategy, first find out how many permits were issued in the past year (to attach a $ amount to the dangling carrot), then see if I could get a minute or two with Chief Nye to ask his support, or at least ask him to call up the Spotsy Sheriff and ask him why he supported it.

I don't know which office does the checks.

Ultimately of course, the City Council is where it has to happen, but I agree, it would be helpful to have some high profile endorsements first.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    I'm trying to follow up on Spotsylvania since they eliminated the fingerprinting requirement in December 2008. Does anyone happen to know if they changed their application fee, or if they still charge the full amount and keep that which had previously been paid to the FBI?

Their web site has no information beyond a .pdf file for the application itself, and a link to the VSP general info page.

TFred
    Gloucester has never finger printed for a CHP, and it is still 50 dollars.