• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

weapons drawn at a Maryville, TN Walmart

suntzu

imported post

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20100214/NEWS/302149980

Wal-Mart scuffle ends with knife, gun drawn From Staff Reports
Originally published: February 14. 2010 3:01AM

Last modified: February 13. 2010 10:28PM Three men -- one armed with a knife and another armed with a handgun -- got into an argument that ended with both weapons drawn inside a local store, according to a Maryville police report.
A 56-year-old Maryville man said he was driving on Friday afternoon to Wal-Mart, 2410 Highway 411 South, Maryville, and had to slam on his brakes because another vehicle ran a stop sign. The man said the other car’s driver -- later identified as Matthew Dressler, Panorama Drive, Maryville, 26 -- began blowing his horn and cursing at him.

The 56-year-old then parked his car, entered Wal-Mart and went to the customer service area. The older man said Dressler was also in the customer service area and the younger man became belligerent, started to curse at him and tried to start a disturbance.

The 56-year-old said he began to walk away and Dressler pulled a knife on him, pushed him and started to threaten him. The older man said he began to walk away again. The 56-year-old said a 21-year-old man then came over to calm down Dressler, and the 26-year-old man started walking toward the younger man with his knife. The 21-year-old then pulled a handgun and kept it at a low ready, the 56-year-old said.
Wal-Mart staff then stepped in and separated the men until the police arrived, he said.

The 21-year-old, who has a handgun carry permit, had a Glock .40-caliber handgun on his person, the report said. The 21-year-old told police officers that he pulled the gun because he feared for his personal safety. The 21-year-old and 56-year-old provided written statements and were released from the scene.

Dressler was placed into custody and taken to Blount County Jail. He was later charged with two counts of aggravated assault. Dressler was free on bonds totaling $20,000 pending a 9 a.m. Feb. 23 hearing in Blount County General Sessions Court.

45acpForMe

imported post

I'll see your horn and raise you my voice,
I'll see your curses and raise you a shove,
I'll match your shove and raise you a knife,
I raise you a gun and call (police).

Gun wins the hand.....

Of course he had a get-outta-jail-card! (damn bailbondsmen)

protector84

imported post

I can't get over the sheer insanity of people over minor things. It gets to the point where you can't confront someone about bad behavior like adults without them threatening your life. You honk at someone who is already being an idiot and endangering your safety with poor driving and they threaten you. Just the other day for instance, I went inside a gas station CCing and a homeless person mumbled at me who I deliberately ignored and then started getting louder to get my attention. I hollered "I'm sorry" and continued in the store. Now that should be enough to send a message to go bother someone else. Nope. I come back out and he hollers at me again to which I then yell "Get lost" and continue walking. Then on another trip back in the store (to get the change from the pump), he continues his attempt to which I reply "Hit the road." I then tell the attendant who then goes outside and orders him to leave. Not only does he not leave but then starts yelling at me when I leave saying "You don't be talkin' me that way, boy..." I yell, "Beat it" and kept walking. He then mumbles "Don't make me hurt you man." I continued walking while fiddling with my gun that while clearly concealed was printing badly. I turned around and he was nowhere to be found.

I'm so sick of the crap in our society and the way they can't act like adults and take a simple request to go away without threatening. As much as I shouldn't have felt that way I half wanted the guy to pull a knife and charge at me just so I could get rid of one more piece of trash in our world taking up space, air, and tax dollars. It seems to be getting increasingly more common that the only way to get someone to leave you alone is by either threatening them yourself or actually using physical or deadly force. Bar rooms are the same way. They say it is alcohol, I doubt it, because it doesn'tdo that to me or everyone else.You accidently look at someone's girlfriend unknowingly and some punk is threatening you with a beer bottle. Good. With the new law in Arizona allowing guns in bars, problem solved. I may start devising some more brutal tactics with these characters. From this point forward, a crack-head homeless person gets one request to leave me alone and go away. After that, he is getting pepper sprayed. The law won't arrest these people so I guess the people have to take matters into their own hands. As we can see in the OP, the man who threatened the others with a knife was let out of jail the same day he was arrested. Great justice system.

Dreamer

imported post

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that our fine Mr. Dressler also made all haste to secure his OWN firearm once he was out.

And I'd also bet he didn't fill out a Form 4473 to make the purchase...

I hope the older man and the (luckily) armed 21year-old keep their eyes open and say safe.

No shots fired--violent crime halted. Good guys go home un molested (by thug OR police), and BG gets locked up. This is the way it should ALWAYS play out.

Why is this story not on CNN and MSNBC? Well, that's because they are openly fascist.

But why the HECK isn't this story on Fox Cable? Oh, yeah, that's right, they changed flags too. They are now flying the same "red flag" as the other networks...

Lurchiron

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I can't get over the sheer insanity of people over minor things. It gets to the point where you can't confront someone about bad behavior like adults without them threatening your life. You honk at someone who is already being an idiot and endangering your safety with poor driving and they threaten you. Just the other day for instance, I went inside a gas station CCing and a homeless person mumbled at me who I deliberately ignored and then started getting louder to get my attention. I hollered "I'm sorry" and continued in the store. Now that should be enough to send a message to go bother someone else. Nope. I come back out and he hollers at me again to which I then yell "Get lost" and continue walking. Then on another trip back in the store (to get the change from the pump), he continues his attempt to which I reply "Hit the road." I then tell the attendant who then goes outside and orders him to leave. Not only does he not leave but then starts yelling at me when I leave saying "You don't be talkin' me that way, boy..." I yell, "Beat it" and kept walking. He then mumbles "Don't make me hurt you man." I continued walking while fiddling with my gun that while clearly concealed was printing badly. I turned around and he was nowhere to be found.

I'm so sick of the crap in our society and the way they can't act like adults and take a simple request to go away without threatening. As much as I shouldn't have felt that way I half wanted the guy to pull a knife and charge at me just so I could get rid of one more piece of trash in our world taking up space, air, and tax dollars. It seems to be getting increasingly more common that the only way to get someone to leave you alone is by either threatening them yourself or actually using physical or deadly force. Bar rooms are the same way. They say it is alcohol, I doubt it, because it doesn'tdo that to me or everyone else.You accidently look at someone's girlfriend unknowingly and some punk is threatening you with a beer bottle. Good. With the new law in Arizona allowing guns in bars, problem solved. I may start devising some more brutal tactics with these characters. From this point forward, a crack-head homeless person gets one request to leave me alone and go away. After that, he is getting pepper sprayed. The law won't arrest these people so I guess the people have to take matters into their own hands. As we can see in the OP, the man who threatened the others with a knife was let out of jail the same day he was arrested. Great justice system.
You're seeing the end result of letting STUPID people breed, only when NATURAL selection resumes; will you see a change for the better in society...

suntzu

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
protector84 wrote:

You're seeing the end result of letting STUPID people breed, only when NATURAL selection resumes; will you see a change for the better in society...
Not defending the attacker in any way BUT---everyone except in certain, specific circumstances are entitled to bail "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

Stupid people are entitled to bail unless they either committed a crime of murder, treason, sedition, or are a flight risk or pose a risk to society as a whole.

shad0wfax

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
I think randomly pulling knives on people you don't know in public places because you are angry with them constitutes a threat to public safety
He's very lucky he wasn't shot. Some states allow justifiable homicide to extend to protecting the lives of total strangers. Here in WA under the letter of the law, the 21 yr old carrier could have shot and killed the 26 yr old knife-wielder. (In practice, this may not be wise, but it would have been technically lawful.)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

suntzu wrote:
The 21-year-old told police officers that he pulled the gun because he feared for his personal safety. The 21-year-old and 56-year-old provided written statements and were released from the scene.
Can we get some of Tennessee's LEO over here on the west coast?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
ComradeV wrote:
I think randomly pulling knives on people you don't know in public places because you are angry with them constitutes a threat to public safety
He's very lucky he wasn't shot. Some states allow justifiable homicide to extend to protecting the lives of total strangers. Here in WA under the letter of the law, the 21 yr old carrier could have shot and killed the 26 yr old knife-wielder. (In practice, this may not be wise, but it would have been technically lawful.)

That's the way it is here in TN. Justificationfor use of force/lethal force is codified by statute, if a reasonable person percieves the presenceof emminent serious bodily injury or death to self or others. TN Statutes 39-17-611 and 39-17-612

I'm glad for the 21 year old that he didn't have to cap the guy. Presenting his weapon, apparently, was sufficient to stop the threat.

KansasMustang

imported post

I reckon it's a good thing the 21 year old Legal handgun permit holder didn't have to drop the perp. Maybe it'll come out all right and the idiot will attempt to gain retribution and then the young man will send him where he belongs. Stupid people should not be allowed to reproduce, hopefully the idiot does not have any prodigy.

sraacke

imported post

Kudos to the 21yo guy for stepping up but my question is Why didn't the 56yo guy have a gun of his own? Next time a armed 21yo might not be around to save his butt from getting perferated.

Walther

imported post

Kudos to the 21yo guy for stepping up but my question is Why didn't the 56yo guy have a gun of his own? Next time a armed 21yo might not be around to save his butt from getting perferated.
It could be the 21 year old saved Dressler from getting killed by the 56 year old.

You know the saying, don't mess with him, if he's too tired to fight....he will just kill you;)

matthollycart

imported post

"The 21-year-old and 56-year-old provided written statements and were released from the scene."

I have a thought about this statement here and want people's opinions on this. Should the good guys have filled out a statement to the police? Shouldn't they not say anything to the police until they have consulted their lawyer? Anything they say can only be used against them.

MamaLiberty

imported post

matthollycart wrote:
"The 21-year-old and 56-year-old provided written statements and were released from the scene."

I have a thought about this statement here and want people's opinions on this. Should the good guys have filled out a statement to the police? Shouldn't they not say anything to the police until they have consulted their lawyer? Anything they say can only be used against them.
That's a DARN good question! In this situation, it seems to have worked out just fine. If the police were treating everyone like a criminal - which happens all the time - then the lawyer would certainly be a necessity.

You pays your money and you takes your chances... regardless of anything else.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
ComradeV wrote:
Same here in NC.Deadly force in defense of a 3rd party being attacked is justified if you would have been justified using deadly force it if the attaker was attacking you.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
matthollycart wrote:

That's a DARN good question! In this situation, it seems to have worked out just fine. If the police were treating everyone like a criminal - which happens all the time - then the lawyer would certainly be a necessity.

I would assume that since the statement-makers weren't mirandized, any statement they made couldn't be admissable against them. Only in very few circumstances, such as an excited utterance, can your statements or confesions be used against you if you have not been made aware of your rights.

So even if you wrote down "I shot him because he had a mullet hairdo", it couldn't be admissible in courtunless you were advised of your rights to counsel, remaining silent, etc. prior to making the statement.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote

I would assume that since the statement-makers weren't mirandized, any statement they made couldn't be admissable against them. Only in very few circumstances, such as an excited utterance, can your statements or confesions be used against you if you have not been made aware of your rights.

So even if you wrote down "I shot him because he had a mullet hairdo", it couldn't be admissible in courtunless you were advised of your rights to counsel, remaining silent, etc. prior to making the statement.
I wouldn't count on it. The police play fast and loose with evidence and everything else, so why should this be sacred to them? It's not the same everywhere, of course, but I'd err on the side of not saying anything beyond the fact that I feared for my life.

How can you prove you were NOT "read your rights?" Who are the courts going to believe? You have a right to remain silent. It is usually smart to exercise that right.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
matthollycart wrote:

I would imagine that the police took statements from everyone that was a witness to the event. That would include other customers and store emplyees. As long as every ones story meshes pretty well to the same, I don't think the 21 yr old would have anything to worry about.

Hendu024

imported post

Walther wrote:
It could be the 21 year old saved Dressler from getting killed by the 56 year old.

You know the saying, don't mess with him, if he's too tired to fight....he will just kill you;)
"The young and the quick are no match for the old and the treacherous."