• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Winter Park and surrounding areas?

EagleArmsHBAR

imported post

I'll be in Winter Park, CO from Monday-Friday this coming week and was wondering if I need to worry about the open carry opposition that is going on in Denver right now. I have a TX CHL, so I know I can carry concealed, but want to open carry when I am out of Denver. Also, can I carry on the slopes?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

EagleArmsHBAR wrote:
I'll be in Winter Park, CO from Monday-Friday this coming week and was wondering if I need to worry about the open carry opposition that is going on in Denver right now. I have a TX CHL, so I know I can carry concealed, but want to open carry when I am out of Denver. Also, can I carry on the slopes?
Welcome to OCDO EagleArmsHBAR

This will get you started until someone from Colorado chimes in - there are other active links on this page for more info:
http://www.opencarry.org/co.html

Suspect that the "slopes" to which you refer are private property and subject to the owner's rules.

Yata hey

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

I was in Winter Park last winter and I believe that the ski resort is the property of Denver (one of their "mountain parks" or something I'm sure), I have no way to verify this information at the moment, I'll keep looking but I remember seeing the Denver city flag flying outside the ski lodge.

The town of Winter Park is it's own town and OC is legal based on CRS 29-11.7-104 which says that any prohibitions to OC are limited to buildings or certain areas and must be posted.
29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.
I'm sure you've already looked into this.....
....we do accept your TX permit
....vehicle carry is legal, concealed or not, permit or not, anywhere in the state
....concealed carry is legal (with permit) just about everywhere except where there have metal detectors at the entrances
....here are our laws on weapons: http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp

PikesPeakMtnMan

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

EagleArmsHBAR wrote:
Can I conceal carry in a bar?
Yes, just don't get drunk....

18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons
(d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
EagleArmsHBAR wrote:
Can I conceal carry in a bar?
Yes, just don't get drunk....

18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons
(d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1)
While I do NOT speak for Colorado resident posters, I can say that with few exceptions that drinking and OCing are generally considered bad form - its a matter of public perception - and perception can be everything in the battle to regain our rights. ymmv

I can say that if TSHTF while I am out and about, there will NOT be a hint of alcohol on my breath or in my system.

Yata hey