• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

village of sussex open carry notice

anmut

imported post

Strange - looks like they got wind of the protest. Also, that push at the end to post signs seems a bit fishy.

Lurchiron

imported post

anmut wrote:
Strange - looks like they got wind of the protest. Also, that push at the end to post signs seems a bit fishy.
My guess is that it was written when all the municipalities were trying to create their own ad hoc ordinances, at the request of the "authorities"; sort of a back-door ban.

scorpio_vette

imported post

anmut wrote:
Strange - looks like they got wind of the protest.  Also, that push at the end to post signs seems a bit fishy.

that's almost what i was thinking too. little hard to tell, but as i said. i didn't see it when i was searching for event news a couple days ago. so not sure if i just overlooked it, or if it's actually new.

scorpio_vette

imported post

oh i'm not sure how accurate this is, but if i'm correct, this document was created 2/19/2010 8:59am.

so that would be yesterday.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
oh i'm not sure how accurate this is, but if i'm correct, this document was created 2/19/2010 8:59am.

You are correct, this was put out yesterday!

We need somebody to print out as many copies of this as possible and bring it with them Sunday.

I wonder if the village would be willing to put out a similar flier if a bunch of guys wearing ear rings was coming to town?

scorpio_vette

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
We need somebody to print out as many copies of this as possible and bring it with them Sunday.

how about instead of "somebody print as many", we have everybody print 2 or 3. i'm sure most people have enough ink in their printer to print 2 or 3 copies.

hey here's a wild idea/question. what if every person showing up tomorrow takes one of these and tapes it in the inside of one of their car windows. if there are cars parked all over the place with these flyers posted in the windows, you know damn well the residence will notice.

good idea, bad idea???

Cobbersmom

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
I was all over the Sussex website. Where/how did you find a date?

scorpio_vette

imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
I was all over the Sussex website.  Where/how did you find a date?

originally i thought it was actually a webpage, so i was going to start digging through source code. then i realized it was simply a pdf file. basically......a document. all documents have dates. so if you right click and then go to properties, it shows the date the file was created and modified.

now i know there are ways that those dates can get screwed up, that's why i said i'm not real sure. but it just seems like way to much of a coincidence. specially since i haven't seen this document before in the last few days that i've been searching for articles regarding the upcoming event.

Cobbersmom

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Cobbersmom wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
originally i thought it was actually a webpage, so i was going to start digging through source code. then i realized it was simply a pdf file. basically......a document. all documents have dates. so if you right click and then go to properties, it shows the date the file was created and modified.
now i know there are ways that those dates can get screwed up, that's why i said i'm not real sure. but it just seems like way to much of a coincidence.
Right click didn't work for me, I use Firefox. But I managed to mess around and find document information and among other things, this is the date and time it was showed to be modified. "Friday, February 19, 2010 9:08:12 AM "
I don't understand it either but it is interesting.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
Click the link, it opens the PDF. Save the PDF to your computer. Then open Widows explorer, find the file, right click the file and pick properties. IT clearly shows the date as scoprio posted.

This was put on the site Friday morning.

M

McX

imported post

the item scorpio-vette found and posted was at least not offensive, or demeaning. at least in my opinion. it prepares the public for our arrival. let's them know not to be concerned when they see us moving about. not the best, but not the worst statement ever issued. did mention the us constitution, and didn't seem to label us as gun nuts, armed protesters or armed shoppers. maybe some of the unique local businesses will be open special for us. could be a very positive day.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Why would you want to print these out? These are nothing more than an attempt by LEO to get business owners to join in and effectively ban fire arms in all businesses in Sussex.

Don't help them out.

Most people already know that OC is legal. If everyone acts professional and cordial there should be no issues.

The object is to get businesses to open their doors to OCers not chase them away.

It is obvious this Lt. Gumm is on the side of the trooper.

Therefore....Carry On!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

anmut wrote:
I am sure they did get wind of the protest. There are many trolls on here that will rush back to save the day for LEO that trample our rights.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Why would you want to print these out?
My thought was so we could SHARE them with those who show up but hadn't seen announcement so that everybody knew to what EXTREME government will go to try and control the people.

Never my intent to help the control...

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Why would you want to print these out? These are nothing more than an attempt by LEO to get business owners to join in and effectively ban fire arms in all businesses in Sussex.

Don't help them out.
I would assume that every shop owner in Sussex has been given one of these. Our response should be to print up and deliver our own flyer, explaining OC in Wisconsin and how we and our friends from all over will only be spending our dollars at businesses that support our 2A rights.

Dave

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Duh. Do you think law enforcement agencies don't monitor these gun-rights forums. Everything about this protest has been posted on this forum, time, place, persons, itineryetc. Davegran is correct, no since bringing posters to the protest that most business people likely already have. Better to bring something to countermand the gestapo tactics. Something to explain the purpose and that those attending are peaceful law abiding persons exercising their constitutional rights and are no threat to them.

M

McX

imported post

guys, i've read the notice a number of times now. and i'm just not seeing the police taking any sides against us. they are informing the public, and reminding them of the rights guarenteed to all citizens. i think they are giving us wide lattitude to assemble, and move about. to me they are saying to the businesses; if you don't want them in there, post a sign, end the confusion. jumping to conclusions could make us look foolish. let's be innocent of instigation; go forth in a friendly spirit, hand out flyers, inform and educate, do the job we have come there to do. spend a little moola at places that favor us, stay away from the ones that don't. maybe both sides will see each other in a different light, maybe our message will get across, maybe we might get invited back! we have spending power, and the upswing to businesses from our presence might want them to take a look at maybe in the summer the township endorsing an open carry weekend, or something of the sorts, because where we are welcome- we spend. it would be nice at the end of the day to reflect, and see our good conduct has changed some minds, and will get us invited back. i won't slather this into the other thread, i'll just leave it here, for your review and approval- or disapproval. either way, we leave here at 10:45, and i am looking forward to seeing my friends again, meeting, and making new ones, and furthering our cause.

scorpio_vette

imported post

i highly doubt that every shop owner in sussex has seen these flyers. as long as the cops have posted it on their website, they "cover their azz".

sure the end part about the signs seems a bit off, BUT the more important part is where it says that it's legal and NOT TO BE ALARMED.

so why not show these flyers to business owners and in a friendly polite manner say that we are just going around to raise awareness that open carry is legal, and that we appreciate doing business with them. if they see how friendly we are, and that nothing is happening, they'll see for themselves that there is no reason to keep us out.

@J.Gleason----you said that most people already know that open carry is legal. in my opinion i would have to say the opposite. i would say nearly more than half of the people that i talk to about this have no idea that open carry is legal. hell i'm surprised how many people i encounter that think ANYTHING gun related (other than hunting) is illegal.

in my opinion, when it comes to raising awareness, we can't assume that people know, because then we won't inform the ones that don't know.