• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You don't tug on Superman's cape

wylde007

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
When law enforcement did arrive, they say he had a concealed BB gun modeled after a .45-caliber handgun in his vehicle and blue lights attached to his 2005 silver Dodge Neon.
:lol:

Dude, that's beautiful. What a maroon.

Dreamer

imported post

Yeah, I though this was a particularly wacky case. A fake cop car in the form of a NEON? WTF? And he had a BB gun modeled after a 1911. What a goob.

It would be funny if it weren't so HIDEOUSLY scary in the context of the patters of criminal evolution and patterns...

What troubled me is WHAT what this guy's motivation? Was he just a cop-wannabe wanker, or was he just slowly building up to something much more insidious? I mean how many stories do we hear about people posing as cops who then rape and murder young women on some isolated stretch of road?

Pretending to be a cop is sort of like killing small animals. It's not really something that most people see as inherantly evil on it's face, but let's face it, in a great many of the cases, this sort of behaviour is a precursor to some TERRIBLY heinous activity. It's probably a good thing this guy got caught before he did something REALLY bad. I think this guy wasn't just a wanker--he was more like a serial killer waiting to happen...

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-fake-cop,0,1472775.story?track=rss

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/man-who-posed-as-cop-pleads-guilty-to-murder.html

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=6731642

http://www.thedailyshrewsbury.com/A...lice_officer_attempts_to_pull_woman_over.html

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20061695,00.html

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/prime-accused-posed-as-an-officer-struck-fe/438610/

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...dickson/Police-man-posed-as-DEA-at-pharmacies

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/30/n...e-are-indicted-in-3-murders.html?pagewanted=1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Maybe.

At the least he was a closet ninja with a drivers license.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Pretending to be a cop is sort of like killing small animals. It's not really something that most people see as inherently evil on it's face, but let's face it, in a great many of the cases, this sort of behaviour is a precursor to some TERRIBLY heinous activity.
You may not associate it with evil, but I can assure you, there are plenty of us who recognize the sociopathic trend in people like this.

People who have an undiagnosed mental disorder like this are not much better than politicians. They crave power.

In many, the killing or injuring of small, helpless creatures is simply a stepping stone to larger creatures and, ultimately, people. They have to test their own moral and mental waters to make sure that their egos can handle the strain.

Once they have successfully reached one level, they move on to the next. There are not many steps between pulling wings off of flies and murdering a restaurant full of innocents.

WNCTarheel

imported post

There is a difference between saying "I am a cop" when someone asks you, and saying "shhh, I'm undercover". The latter is not an affirmative answer. Would not be impersonating an officer.

Sam

imported post

WNCTarheel wrote:
There is a difference between saying "I am a cop" when someone asks you, and saying "shhh, I'm undercover". The latter is not an affirmative answer. Would not be impersonating an officer.
In reply to "Are you a policeman?" I don't think you could convince many people you were not trying to impersonate unless you said "No."
In today's world the truth matters not, only what you can convince the majority to believe.

But I agree, there is a difference. The OP was not a lunatic (far as I can tell) and can't really be compared to the Neon riding Popo wannabe.

edited to add my agreement.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

WNCTarheel wrote:
Perception is the key - there should be no doubt left after being asked that question.

I do not want or need the cloak afforded by leaving the impression that I might be a LEO. We are trying to educate people, not mislead them.

Do not misunderstand me. I appreciate the attempted humor in "shhh, I'm under cover", but still think it does us a disservice.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Do not misunderstand me. I appreciate the attempted humor in "shhh, I'm under cover", but still think it does us a disservice.
All it takes is one person who is not very adept at recognizing hyperbole to ruin your day.

And they are everywhere. They breed. They look just like us and you might not even notice the difference until they start to speak.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How could that answer possibly be construed as impersonating a cop?

The statement is prima facie false. It's very having been made automatically renders itself untrue.

For, an undercover cop is lo longer undercover once he admits as much. To put it another way, a cop who is truly in fact undercover will not say as much.

Therefore, for the statement to be made, it must be false. It's logically impossible to conclude from such a statement that the speaker is a police officer.

Furthermore, there is no additional evidence to suggest that cop-dom was implied. Without his having attempted to use the authority of a cop, such an exchange could result from any number of miscommunications.

Finally, if the law in NC doesn't require attempting to use the authority for one to be in violation of pretending to be a cop, that law needs to be changed.

Sam

imported post

marshaul wrote:
♪ I been around the world and found out only stupid people are breeding ♫

There are a lot of slow people out there and they will simply not see it that way. I understand your explanation but try getting 12 of your peers to. Chances are you will run into a few that simply don't get it or just refuse to.

I'm just glad the OP didn't get into trouble, and yes it was funny. ^_^

edited for grammar mistakes

Superlite27

imported post

marshaul wrote:

Although amusing, I do believe it was impersonating an officer.

I base my opinion on implicity. While he did not actively state "I am a cop", he allowed a person to believe he was by implication.

If I ask a person, "Are you a pedophile?", and they say, "Shhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone!"

What do you think of them?

Yup. Without a vehement denial, you allowed a person to believe something, therefore, by not informing them of the negative, you affirmed the positive.

Whenever I OC, I often get the "Are you a cop?" or "What department are you from?". I leave no doubt in anyone's mind that I am absolutely NOT a police officer. I have even grown a beard because, somehow, I must oooooze "copness" from my pores or something. With a full beard, I still get asked, "Are you a cop?" occasionally, but nowhere near the frequency as when I was clean shaven.

Has anyone heard of the "Bearded Police"? Is there a department somewhere that allows their officers to sport beards that I don't know of?

Nope. Whenever I am asked, my eyes glow with the wonderful opportunity to politely and courteously educate another member of the public that there are good civilians who politely and responsibly carryu a firearm.

It's called being a good representative of the OC movement. This cannot be done when folks believe you are a cop. This includes whether you actively impersonate one,or passively let them believe it by implication.

WNCTarheel

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Yup. Without a vehement denial, you allowed a person to believe something, therefore, by not informing them of the negative, you affirmed the positive.
No, you are not. If someone said "Are you a cop?" and I responded "Pumpkins are tasty", I am not affirming I am a cop.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WNCTarheel wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
No, you are not.  If someone said "Are you a cop?" and I responded "Pumpkins are tasty", I am not affirming I am a cop.
Exactly. What if I go up to one of my Chinese-speaking-only neighbors and ask "Are you a cop!?"

Then, when he fails to vehemently deny being a cop for lack of understanding, does this mean he has impersonated one?

No, it was my own dumb question that started it. He is under no obligation to say word one to me. And he did nothing to assume the mantle of a cop but fail to comprehend my stupid question.

This is, by the way, exactly why most "impersonating cop" statutes require an attempt to use the authority before a crime is committed. NC's law is bad for lack of this requirement.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Nope. Whenever I am asked, my eyes glow with the wonderful opportunity to politely and courteously educate another member of the public that there are good civilians who politely and responsibly carryu a firearm.

It's called being a good representative of the OC movement. This cannot be done when folks believe you are a cop. This includes whether you actively impersonate one, or passively let them believe it by implication.
That's nice, and I'm sure most of us agree (I do the same), but it's hardly relevant to whether what the OP said could be construed as violation of teh lawr.

Slidell Jim

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
When law enforcement did arrive, they say he had a concealed BB gun modeled after a .45-caliber handgun in his vehicle and blue lights attached to his 2005 silver Dodge Neon.
:lol:

Dude, that's beautiful. What a maroon.
Dodge Neon.... That about sums it up. I bet his car cost less than his bail.

Superlite27

imported post

WNCTarheel wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:
No, you are not. If someone said "Are you a cop?" and I responded "Pumpkins are tasty", I am not affirming I am a cop.

True. I'll admit you're right there. I guess I just transferred my belief in a well defined negative response (in the name of clarity) into passive agreement.

You do have to admit that without a flat denial, there is room for "interpretation".

I don't think there's any chance of "charges" being brought. But, IMHO it's just easier and cancels any need for "interpretation" when there's a clear "NO" present.

wylde007

imported post

I would never personally admit to being in law enforcement. In my opinion it is an unnecessary evil of "modern" society. Armed police forces (outside of the Sheriff) did not exist until people stopped taking responsibility for their own rights and delegated that duty and authority away to mercenaries.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I would never personally admit to being in law enforcement.  In my opinion it is an unnecessary evil of "modern" society.  Armed police forces (outside of the Sheriff) did not exist until people stopped taking responsibility for their own rights and delegated that duty and authority away to mercenaries.
Oh, I'm gonna have to give you another one of those +10000s.

WNCTarheel

imported post

Superlite27 wrote
True. I'll admit you're right there. I guess I just transferred my belief in a well defined negative response (in the name of clarity) into passive agreement.

You do have to admit that without a flat denial, there is room for "interpretation".

I don't think there's any chance of "charges" being brought. But, IMHO it's just easier and cancels any need for "interpretation" when there's a clear "NO" present.
I probably wouldn't joke about it either. If it's done in an very exaggerated fashion and obvious anybody normal would see it as a joke then no problem. Done with a straight face would be more misleading.