• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interview of Debra Medina by thebackgate.org

CrimsonSoul

imported post

the back gate is a TDCJ website made by and geared towards employees and isn't part of any government entity. enjoy

By Max Rodriguez, Backgate Website
12/19/09

The Backgate recently interviewed Mrs. Medina on her thoughts for making Texas great again. She weighed in on questions submitted by the Backgate readers. Medina faces Kay Bailey Hutchison for the republican nomination for Texas governor.

Born in Beeville and raised on a South Texas farm, Debra Medina is a wife and mother, a registered nurse, a businesswoman, a rancher and a fighter.

Debra has always drawn strength from the courage of her convictions. She first got involved in politics in the early 1990s, when she saw that local leaders were not honoring the pro-life principles that guide her beliefs. Now chairing the Republican Party of Wharton County, she took the Republican Party of Texas to court in 2008 over violations in how the state convention was run.

Standing up to Goliaths is pretty much what Debra does.

She homeschooled both her children long before homeschooling had the kind of support and visibility it has today. She graduated from San Antonio’s Baptist Memorial Hospital System School of Nursing in 1984, and later earned a bachelor’s degree in Business Management from the evangelical Christian Le Tourneau University. In 2002, she founded her own business, Prudentia Inc., which specializes in improving medical billing procedures.

Through it all, Debra has waged and won battles that were not always popular – battles that often demanded uncompromising personal sacrifice. But this kind of strength is no surprise. After all, one of her ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War. Another lost his life in the fall of 1842 in the Dawson Massacre near San Antonio, fighting to preserve Texas independence.

The Backgate Q & A ;
BG : Do you approve of, or oppose the Texas death penalty and why ?

Medina : Yes, although I have acknowledged problems within the criminal justice system that might warrant a moratorium on the penalty until those issues are resolved. I believe the primary responsibility of government is to insure justice. Some crimes are so heinous that the death penalty is the only just penalty.

BG: What part, if elected, will you play in Texas border security ? Of what importance do you rate it ?

Medina : I have already begun to work with local law enforcement in Texas border counties to identify solutions for insuring that all traffic across the border is thru the legal ports of entry. I believe it is proper for Texas and her citizens to pressure Washington D.C. to secure our borders as it is their constitutional duty to do so. Texas, however, can not continue to hold our breath waiting on the federal government to do its job. We must place a high priority on securing the border and dedicate the resources necessary to do so.

BG: Do you approve of, or oppose shorter prison terms for drug and non-violent crimes and why ?

Medina : I do not believe prison is an appropriate punishment for most non-violent crimes.

BG: What legislative changes do you support if elected Governor of Texas and why ?

Medina : I believe private property and gun ownership are essential elements of freedom and am currently advocating elimination of property tax in Texas. This will require legislative action. Eminent domain must be restricted to further protect private property.

BG: How would you rate Governor Rick Perry's terms of Texas governor and why ?

Medina: Less than hoped for. Debt has nearly tripled during his administration with Texas having exhausted over 85% of its constitutional debt limit ceiling. State spending has outpaced population and inflation by over 15%. Abuse and scandal have been reported within numerous state agencies. Education outcomes remain flat, drop out rates high. Illegal immigration has not been addressed and all suffer as a consequence.

BG: Texas prison employees are ranked number 46 out of the 50 states in correctional pay. Yet house more inmates than any other state in the United States. Would you be supportive of a raise for correctional officers, and assist in securing better hiring standards ?

Medina : Hiring standards certainly contribute to the quality of a department's performance and its ability to accomplish its mission. As such I would support the development of standards and selection criteria to insure employees are capable of fulfilling the role for which they are hired. While I support equitable compensation, many factors must be considered when developing compensation packages.

BG: Currently the Texas governor is responsible for appointing the members of the Texas Board of Criminal Justice members that oversee Texas prisons. Would you consider either an elective system by employees for members, or at least a system of appointment that places people of criminal justice backgrounds in those positions to assist the agency ? (currently, anyone is eligible and most have no working knowledge of a prison)

Medina : Texas has a long standing history of gubernatorial appointments to boards. In some instances, the legislature has mandated board makeup to insure representation from various segments of the society or various areas of expertise. Ultimately, an effective executive should be concerned with insuring that board members are expert at being able to provide leadership and guidance to their respective organization. We have much work to do in our society to insure that our elected officials are accountable to the people.

BG: If elected, what would be your first official project and why ?

Medina : None of us knows what crisis will face us in Jan. 2011. It is important to know that we have elected individuals who understand the proper role of government and will work to insure the protection of freedom and liberty, adhere to the constitution and uphold the rule of law.

BG: Finally, why do you want to be Governor of Texas ?

Medina : I want to fight for Texas. To lead to restore private property ownership, gun ownership, state sovereignty and a secure border...to restore freedom and prosperity to the great state of Texas and to, by example, demonstrate to our sister states the benefits of limited government and free market economies.

More interviews by the Backgate coming soon....

Vincentpbooth

imported post

She sounds like a winner to me, just what Texas needs. Now if she can only walk the walk. Perry sounded great at first too, but I agree with Medina that he has been a disappointment.
That said, I'm willing to give her a shot, definitely a better chance for Texas to have a true conservative than KBH.

RLGuthrie

imported post

Wish she had campaigned a little harder. Basically I knew zero about her, definately don't want KBH (she's been inside the Beltway too long) . Maybe Medina will run as Independant! Well, I can always hope.