• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Message to ICE--forget about the border--SECURE YOUR FIREARMS!

Dreamer

imported post

From CNN. Simply unbelievable...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/18/government.guns/index.html?hpt=T2

Report: Officers lose 243 Homeland Security guns
February 18, 2010 10:04 a.m. EST

Washington (CNN) -- Nearly 180 Department of Homeland Security weapons were lost -- some falling into the hands of criminals -- after officers left them in restrooms, vehicles and other public places, according to an inspector general report.

The officers, with Customs and Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, "did not always sufficiently safeguard their firearms and, as a result, lost a significant number of firearms" between fiscal year 2006 and fiscal year 2008, the report said.

In all, 243 firearms were lost in both agencies during that period, according to the January report from Inspector General Richard Skinner. Of those, 36 were lost because of circumstances beyond officers' control -- for instance, ICE lost a firearm during an assault on an officer. Another 28 were lost even though officers had stored them in lockboxes or safes.

But 74 percent, or 179 guns, were lost "because officers did not properly secure them," the report said.

Following a review of the draft report in December, Homeland Security took steps to implement its recommendations and overhaul its property management policy, according to a response in the report. A department spokeswoman did not immediately return a call from CNN Thursday seeking comment.

The report concluded the department did not have specific procedures and policies in place regarding firearms. "Instead, DHS relied on its components to augment its general property management policies and procedures with specific guidance for safeguarding and controlling firearms," it said. "Although some component policies and procedures for safeguarding firearms were sufficient, personnel did not always follow them."
The inspector general cited several examples of "inappropriate practices." A customs officer, for instance, left a firearm in an idling vehicle in the parking lot of a convenience store. The vehicle was stolen while the officer was inside. "A local law enforcement officer later recovered the firearm from a suspected gang member and drug smuggler," the report said.

In addition, an ICE officer left an M-4 rifle and a shotgun unsecured in a closet at his home. Both weapons were stolen in a burglary and later recovered from a felon, according to the report. Another officer left his firearm in the restroom of a fast-food restaurant, and it was gone when he returned.

"Other CBP and ICE officers left firearms in places such as a fast food restaurant parking lot, a bowling alley and a clothing store," the report said.

"Although our review focused on CBP and ICE, other components described similar incidents. For example, a TSA officer left a firearm in a lunch box on the front seat of an unlocked vehicle; the officer realized the firearm was stolen when he returned to the vehicle two days later," said the report. "Officers may have prevented many of these losses had they exercised reasonable care when storing their weapons."

Of the 179 lost because of laxity, 120 were reported stolen and 59 as lost, the report said. That resulted from the agencies' lack of guidance on a standard method for classifying and reporting lost firearms, as well as "a common perception among officers that reporting a stolen firearm was more acceptable than reporting a lost firearm.
"Although CBP and ICE reported 120 firearms as stolen, our analysis showed that these firearms were lost (stolen) because officers left the firearms unsecured," according to the report. "All 179 losses may have been prevented had the officers properly secured their firearms."

The department had about 188,500 weapons in its inventory as of last summer, the report said. The majority are assigned to Customs and Border Protection and ICE officers, but others are carried by agencies including the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Secret Service and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

KansasMustang

imported post

:cuss: If I'd have lost my weapon while in the Army I'd have been court-martialed, my battalion would have had to search for it and would have been confined to the installation until it was found. These buttheads are rank amateurs and need to be drawn and quartered.
It makes my blood boil to know that we place the security of our borders in the hands of incompetents, 'course IF our borders were secured in the first place we might not have all these problems.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Keep your powder dry! It just keeps gettin' curiouser and curiouser
edited for typos only

Huck

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Cuz only law enforcement [and military] should have firearms...
Yup!They're the only ones who can be trusted not to leave them in public restrooms, in motel rooms when they check out, or in idling, unlocked autos. Oh wait....:uhoh:

IDEagleEye

imported post

Way back in 1982, I was taking a trip from Idaho to South Dakota on my motorcycle to go to a family reunion. On my way back, I stopped for the night at a motel off I-80 outside of Cheyenne.

In the morning, while loading back on my motorcycle, I noticed that the state police cruiser parked next to me (they also stayed the night) had the trunk open and a fully-loaded (in all respects) gun belt laying across the top of the suitcase. After a couple trips back and forth, and knocking on the door where the officer stayed (no response), I just closed the trunk and went on my merry way. Stopped in the office to let them know what had happened, but never heard any more about it.

Would have been kinda sticky for them to explain had I chosen differently!

rodbender

imported post

I had a friend named Johnny Crenshaw that used to steal cop cars when they left them idling in the parking lot of whatever, or they just had the keys left in the ignition. He would sell the light bars and radios, and of course anything else he found inside. Houston police had to buy their own personalequipment back then, even firearms. Don't know about now.

shad0wfax

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Cuz only law enforcement [and military] should have firearms...
"I'm the only one professional enough, in this room, to carry a Glock .40." - Lee Paige April 9, 2004

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/MeGD7r6s-zU&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

And then (too bad this is silent audio) a US Marshall earns a Lee Paige award and then one-ups him by leaving his firearm within reach of unsecured suspects at a federal court house.

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Qr49Q0vBfxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

What's sad about this is that both are federal agents and both were caught on video with negligent discharges. It just makes me wonder about statistics. If there are two videos of federal agent NDs available to the public how many more federal agent NDs didn't find their way to the public? And then, statistically, how many more federal agent NDs were simply not captured on video?

Dreamer

imported post

shad0wfax wrote
"I'm the only one professional enough, in this room, to carry a Glock .40." - Lee Paige April 9, 2004

Hey, that's not right.

Glock models only go up to 39. There is NO SUCH THING as a "Glock 40"...

Not only does this guy not know how to safely handle a firearm, but he doesn't even know the name of the pistol he carries.

This video DEFINITELY gives me more confidence in the training and qualifications of our FLEO's. Your tax dollars hard at work...

Maybe they need to watch this PSA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fUwWhd3pFM