• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Event, loaning a handgun

sevenplusone

imported post

I'm trying to find an MCL or otherwise referencing the carry of a firearm that is registered to somebody else if you do not havea CPL.

I.E. My friend comes with me to an OC event, or to the range, etc, are they unable to carry a pistol registered to me? What about my wife? If I am there in attendance and they are under my 'supervision' wouldn't that remove the need to have a CPL? Or does it read 'possession'. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the exact wording.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
I'm trying to find an MCL or otherwise referencing the carry of a firearm that is registered to somebody else if you do not havea CPL.

I.E. My friend comes with me to an OC event, or to the range, etc, are they unable to carry a pistol registered to me? What about my wife? If I am there in attendance and they are under my 'supervision' wouldn't that remove the need to have a CPL? Or does it read 'possession'. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the exact wording.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(lv5lfrar1ektfljsysxa4q55))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-432

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

Your friend and wife must be 18 years of age or older and the pistol must be registered to him or her to OC at an event. If your friend and wife is 21 years of age or older and has a CPL, he or she can carry your registered pistol.

[line]

At the range:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qqgygw2bfixz1db32x040d45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.

sevenplusone

imported post

Thanks, all I kept finding was the range part w/the supervision thing. Made me think it would carry over into other lawful carry. Obviously I wasn't going to try it out before checking.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Thanks, all I kept finding was the range part w/the supervision thing. Made me think it would carry over into other lawful carry. Obviously I wasn't going to try it out before checking.

You're welcome.

See 750.234f if you have friends, family, etc, who are under 18 years of age and would like to shoot your pistol at the range.

hopnpop

imported post

I was recently communicating with MSP about this. I'd asked because all the guns here are in my name, even "her" gun. She's planning on taking a CPL class soon and we'd planned on her using "her" gun (in my name). I just wanted verification on the legality of it. Unfortunately, I was informed that for her to use a gun that, on paper, belongs to me, I'd have to be physically present. Wife or no wife, it's illegal to loan a pistol to a non-CPL holder unless you're physically there.

It IS legal to loan a pistol to another CPL holder. That's how I was educated on the matter.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

You must have a CPL to possess/carry someone else's pistol. If you do not have a CPL you can allow someone else who has a CPL to possess or carry your pistol.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Question: If you want to go target shooting on state land, and you have a handgun , but you have friends with you that don't have thier CPL and want to shoot your gun, can you let them?

From Above:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qqgygw2bfixz1db32x040d45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

hopnpop wrote:
I was recently communicating with MSP about this. I'd asked because all the guns here are in my name, even "her" gun. She's planning on taking a CPL class soon and we'd planned on her using "her" gun (in my name). I just wanted verification on the legality of it. Unfortunately, I was informed that for her to use a gun that, on paper, belongs to me, I'd have to be physically present. Wife or no wife, it's illegal to loan a pistol to a non-CPL holder unless you're physically there.

It IS legal to loan a pistol to another CPL holder. That's how I was educated on the matter.

The CPL Instructor may not allow you to attend the class but I'm sure he or she will allow you to attend the range portion of the class so the Mrs can possess your pistol.

See 28.422 (12) above

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Question: If you want to go target shooting on state land, and you have a handgun , but you have friends with you that don't have thier CPL and want to shoot your gun, can you let them?

From Above:

So you can't just setup a target anywhere on state land (as long as it is safe) and target shoot there?
(b) I think the intent is so that the two or so of you are just not wandering around foolishly shooting at everything in sight. :cool:

hopnpop

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
hopnpop wrote:

The CPL Instructor may not allow you to attend the class but I'm sure he or she will allow you to attend the range portion of the class so the Mrs can possess your pistol.

See 28.422 (12) above
Exactly, right. Such is the case.