• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richbrau Brewing closes

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

kenny wrote:
RICHMOND - UPDATE:

"No kidding! It was one of the best places to get beer in Richmond, and now it's gone", said patrons as they strolled up to Richbrau Brewing Company all Saturday afternoon, only to find a master lock on the front door.

"It's kind of sad that it's gone. This is a total surprise because I just stopped off to have lunch, and it's gone", said Andy Fekete. He says he will have to finish the drive to D.C. without his regular sandwich and beer.

Restaurant owner Michael T. Bryne tells CBS 6 "Closing Richbrau is a reaction to the economic environment we've been in for the past two years..The city has done well. Former Mayor Doug Wilder did what he could, and the current administration has a different set of economic challenges. The city will have to protect itself from the economic environment it's in, and unfortunately, small businesses are paying a price for that and it's unavoidable", says Bryne.

Byrne went on to say " I was at Sam Miller's for 22 years, and then overlapping until 2000 when I became sole proprietor of Richbrau Brewing Company and owner of the Tap House Grill which closed last October for the same reason".

Razors, a men's salon and grooming locale right across the street from Richbrau draws many of its customers from eateries in the area.

"Because of a lot of the foot traffic around this area, if people are starting to do down further a couple of blocks to go to eat instead of this way, of course we're going to lose a lot of walk-in clientele", says Meshael Redd.

Even competing restaurants on Cary Street are taking the news hard.

"I was dismayed, to say the least. It's something that's not good for the neighborhood. We don't want to see anyone lose a business" says Tobacco Company's General Manager Jeff Hallam.

The Tobacco Company first set shop in 1973, paving the way for other major retailers to come in.

Hallam says losing any staple of the Shockoe Slip scene devastates everybody.

"Just like when Circuit City fell apart last year, it's something you don't want to see happen to Richmond. I don't think that any Richmond icon business that employs that many people- that's a lot of employees", says Hallam.

"We made every effort to contact our employees before we open at 11:30 [on Friday] that we were closing. I called all the managers, chefs and all employees working that day that we were not going to open and that we were going to close. Anyone who had a question had my number and is available on the employee list", said Byrne.

When we asked Byrne what's next? He said "To take care of the details as it relates to Richbrau Brewing Company and move forward, and I have no regrets and did the best I could".

It looks like Richbrau Brewing Company in Richmond's Shockoe Slip is the latest victim of the sluggish economy.

==============================================================================================

Twitter comments posted Friday afternoon said the long standing night spot had shut down for good. CBS 6 confirmed the messages after visiting the Richbrau Brewing Company's Facebook page. There we found a message saying:

"We would like to thank all of you for being our friends and family. As of today we have closed our doors. It has been a fun ride, we have lots of memories and hope you do too."

A blog post on RelentlessThirst.wordpress.org said owners of the brewery had declared bankruptcy.

Located on the cobblestone section of Cary Street, Richbrau was Richmond's first brew pub. With multiple levels, the facility included bars, a dance club, pool tables and a restaurant.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

It is a tough business world out there - especially the restaurant business during hard economic times.

How did that no guns policy work out for you? :?

Yata hey

doug23838

imported post

Richbrau has been anti-gun more than they've been "pro restaurant".

This from THR back in 2004

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=92626

I love how he goes right to the victim status; "The city will have to protect itself from the economic environment it's in, and unfortunately, small businesses are paying a price for that and it's unavoidable", says Bryne."

It was avoidable. Don't alienate your business to part of the population.

wylde007

imported post

The Tobacco Company first set shop in 1973, paving the way for other major retailers to come in.
Is Tobacco Company anti? I've only been in there twice, when a roommate of my wife's worked there when they were in college. MANY MANY moons ago. Before I carried. Or cared. '95?

<begs forgiveness>

riverrat10k

imported post

The best beer in Richmond is brewed at Legend Brewing Co. on 7th street near the southern end of the Manchester Bridge.

The owner, Tom Martin, believes in the right to self -defense, but not in his place. He does not allow OC.He has offered to keep your firearm in his safe behind the bar while one eats. That becomes another set of issues. I have been target shooting with Tom; he just says guns and alcohol do not mix.

The beer is so good, I go there anyway.

wylde007

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
The owner, Tom Martin, believes in the right to self-defense, but not in his place.
Mutually exclusive. Either you is one or you is the other. Can't be both. Not in this reality, bub.

I got the same spiel from the owner of Doc Taylor's/Tautog's.

If you prohibit carry in your business, you are part of the problem and not a friend of ours. The end.

He offers to hold your sidearm for you in a safe? Well, fat lot of good it does there. And, as you said, there's the additional issue of someone other than yourself having immediate access to your firearm AND exercising domain over it while you are unarmed. That's patently insane.

Add to that the fact that someone else likely has to HANDLE your firearm in order to store it for your convenience? I can't think of too many things that would be LESS CONVENIENT.

Infidel

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:
The owner, Tom Martin, believes in the right to self-defense, but not in his place.
Mutually exclusive. Either you is one or you is the other. Can't be both. Not in this reality, bub.

I got the same spiel from the owner of Doc Taylor's/Tautog's.

If you prohibit carry in your business, you are part of the problem and not a friend of ours. The end.

He offers to hold your sidearm for you in a safe? Well, fat lot of good it does there. And, as you said, there's the additional issue of someone other than yourself having immediate access to your firearm AND exercising domain over it while you are unarmed. That's patently insane.

Add to that the fact that someone else likely has to HANDLE your firearm in order to store it for your convenience? I can't think of too many things that would be LESS CONVENIENT.
RiverRat, I tend to agree with Wylde on this one. Yes guns and alcohol do not mix, so one would either exert self control and not partake, or leave the firearm at home. There are other pro-gun establishments that have alcohol permits that many of us do OC in with out issue.

darthmord

imported post

It's all fine and dandy to say that guns & alcohol don't mix. They don't.

Doesn't mean that my firearm has to be handled unnecessarily to remove it from my person to be put into a lockable container.

Besides, when was the last time you saw someone buy a beer for their gun? Guns drink Hoppes #9, not beer.

riverrat10k

imported post

I just report the news sir, I don't make it.

My post was to report my personal experience with the owner. Take it for what you will. Never said which "side" he was on. Make up your own mind. The post was accurate. We (I and a VCDL member) tested him one day and he said no.

I don't carry my gun in there per his request.Therfore, I get to drink the best beer in town. While the gun stays home.

I could name another place in town that will serve you alcohol when OC'ing. But this issue has been talked about on another recent thread. I tend to agree with the owner (and Ed) that guns and alcohol don't mix.

I justlove me some good beer every now and again and his is the best.

wylde007

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Never said which "side" he was on.
You said he "believes in self-defense" and in the same sentence said he denies you your right to carry in his establishment.

Well, which one is it? The nobility of his words are marred by the questionable character of his actions. Which do you think speak louder?

richarcm

imported post

Its not the economy that killed Richbrau. Its been tanking fairly quickly for the past 5 years. The fact that they turned the place into Chucky Cheese killed Richbrau. There are MANY "small business" pubs up and down the entire area that are at full capacity. Richbrau simply destroyed themselves. It was THE place in Richmond to be......now THE place to be in Blackfinn (who has a DTOM flag hanging by the bar...not sure if they are pro-gun).

Infidel

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Its not the economy that killed Richbrau. Its been tanking fairly quickly for the past 5 years. The fact that they turned the place into Chucky Cheese killed Richbrau. There are MANY "small business" pubs up and down the entire area that are at full capacity. Richbrau simply destroyed themselves. It was THE place in Richmond to be......now THE place to be in Blackfinn (who has a DTOM flag hanging by the bar...not sure if they are pro-gun).

DTOM?? What does that referance?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Infidel wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Don't Tread On Me!

6a00d8341c60bf53ef01156f824471970c-500wi

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Infidel wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Don't Tread On Me!

6a00d8341c60bf53ef01156f824471970c-500wi
gladdens flag...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ed wrote:
Restaurant owner Michael T. Bryne tells CBS 6 "Closing Richbrau is a reaction to the economic environment we've been in for the past two years..The city has done well. Former Mayor Doug Wilder did what he could, and the current administration has a different set of economic challenges. The city will have to protect itself from the economic environment it's in, and unfortunately, small businesses are paying a price for that and it's unavoidable", says Bryne.

ed wrote:
I left a comment. When you ban the legal carry of firearms, gun owners won't come. And that could mens of dollars over the life of a business.

Yet another victory for gun owners/carriers!
111.gif

Who, who might be the next vulnerable target? I pity them, really, whoever it is.

But it will have to be done...