• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UAB Hospital Will Take Your Gun

keith826

imported post

[align=left]"Persons who enter UAB buildings, Hospital buildings, or other facilities in possession[/align]

[align=left]of firearms, ammunition, or dangerous weapons should be made aware of this policy[/align]

[align=left]and must leave the premises immediately. They may return without the firearm,[/align]
ammunition, or weapon."

This just shows that the law is NOT on their side. All they do is just ask you to leave. The only downside is if you work for or are a student of the campus. I'm sure if this was fought witha good lawyer in the event you were expelled/etc or fired you would most likely win the case. It's pretty cut and dry that they have no right or legal power to prevent you from ESPECIALLY concealed carrying on campus.

eye95

imported post

Your post clearly demonstrates that this is a UAB policy that is extended to the hospital, not a UABHS policy. So, regardless of who "owns" the hospital, this policy has been put in place by a State agency.

UAB and UABHS both need to check with their lawyers.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Fine, the The University of Alabama Health Services Foundation, P.C.

I'm sorry I misspoke. As you admit yourself it is kind of a tangled web. If you check the websites of the various divisions and affiliated corporations you can find a list of their boards of directors. You can go bother them to find out who the share holders are. Share holders, because they are corporations.

The only one that is state owned (that isn't a corporation, anyway) seems to be the School of Medicine. Maybe the main hospital.

I give up. BTW, thanks for apparently running off what could have been a new member to the forum.

eye95

imported post

From your link:

The University of Alabama Health Services Foundation, P.C. is a 750 plus, multi-specialty physician practice serving UAB through 16 departments, 59 divisions, and 32 centers of excellence...
That organization is simply a collection of doctors and is described as a component of the UAB Health System.

The key question would be: Who owns the physical plant that is the UAB Hospital?

cowboy67

imported post

Go here and search UAB B'ham AL it will tell you that the "owners" of the company is the UAB Health System Managing Board...

http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/forwardToSearch.do

This link tells a little more about UABHS...

http://www.guidestar.org/pqShowGsReport.do?partner=justgive&npoId=467792

Pg. 6 on the link below states that UAB hospital is governed by a board of 18 and that each entity retains ownership of their facilities, revenues, debts, and obligations...

sacs.ad.uab.edu/audit_cr/uabhs.pdf

eye95

imported post

Still, nowhere does anything say that UABHS owns and operates the UAB Hospital.

Here are some interesting quotes:

The cornerstone of the UAB Health System is the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). Home to a world-class medical center that has been serving the state for more than 50 years, UAB is widely known for top-notch medical education and innovative research activities conducted by faculty members.
Stated without flourish which makes assigning meaning difficult: The cornerstone of UABHS is the university. The university is home to the hospital. This does not say that UABHS owns and operates the hospital.

Each entity retains ownership of its facilities, revenues, debts and obligations.
So, is the hospital an entity? Does it retain ownership of its facilities? Is it part of UAB? Is it part of UABHS? Is UAB part of UABHS?

At the risk of being incredibly repetitive, who owns and operates the hospital?

cowboy67

imported post

It looks as if they all do. See the below link, titled components.

http://www.uabmedicine.org/18173/

It seems to me that the companies fronted the money to build the building and supply it with their specialties equipment. I would guess that if, a company wanted to back out, the others would have to pick up their slack or they would lose that specialty field.

My answer, no one entity really owns the hospital, that is what the board is for. To run it with the interests of all companies involved. Each component owns a percentage in the building.

That is just my UN-educated guess.

eye95

imported post

Somebody owns the facility. Or, somebody is leasing it. Maybe different parts of the facility have different owners or tenants. In any event, before someone can tell you that you cannot OC in any part of the building, they have to be the owner or tenant of that part of the building, or his agent.

If the ownership or tenancy is in question, that shouldn't be the problem of the OCer. It is up to the owner or tenant to establish his right to ask someone to give up his gun. When the owners set up a finger-pointing situation like this, they are failing in this regard.

One fact that points to State ownership of the facility and the anti-OC policy having the weight of the State behind it is that the UAB police enforce the policy. If the State is going to enforce a policy, then it needs to legally have the authority to do so.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

On the plus side, if no one knows who owns the place. Then there is no one
who could have the owners authority to trespass you either.
Anyone with the authority to ask you to leave must be able to tell you who gave
them that authority, and viola you will find out who owns it.:shock:
Another point in our favor, since the UAB police chief is a habitual drunkard he
can't be in possession of firearms.:lol: Or have they canned the old boozer?
Then there is the federal laws about they can't turn away patients in emergency,
They have no standing to refuse treatment of someone breaking no laws when
they will treat muggers and worse without raising a fuss.

On the down side, UAB police is under the governor, least the police chief says so
with much chest beating, and we all know what Riley thinks about the law.:banghead:

I hope you have your kidnapping video already made in case you get snagged
up by them. My wife has orders to turn my 'ransom' tape over to the feds when
I am held against my will. :cool:
Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.