Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: OC Rules?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    I just completed my Utah CCW course and has some questions about Virginia's Open Carry. Do the Open Cary laws apply to Virginia Residents or anyone instate? I am military with residence in another state currently stationed in Virginia.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    Same rules for everyone...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    Can I just say that is amazing. I came from a state where the only option is a conceal permit and those are "may issue" rather than a "shall issue". I am sure you know the politics involved in that language. Virginia is Lightyears ahead of where I come from. **Cough Iowa Cough**

  4. #4
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    pktrusty wrote:
    Can I just say that is amazing. I came from a state where the only option is a conceal permit and those are "may issue" rather than a "shall issue". I am sure you know the politics involved in that language. Virginia is Lightyears ahead of where I come from. **Cough Iowa Cough**
    Thank you for your service, and enjoy your stay here.

  5. #5
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our nation. You are going to love your new-found freedom here in Virginia. You will quickly find that Virginia is very gun-friendly and open to OC'ing. Where will you be in the state?

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Post imported post

    I am only going to be in the state for about 4 more months while attending Army Schooling. My duty station is going in Texas. I am looking forward to seeing the NRA Firearm Museum while in Virginia. It is my honor to serve my country and follow generations of great Americans. I don't know why Iowan's don't push for change. It is nice to see a state determined to fight for more rights and maintaining what it has. The one thing that I miss from Iowa is high power ranges. I am near Petersburg and I haven't been able to find a range over 100 yds. Any suggestions? I have to get tuned up for some prairie dog hunting this may.

  7. #7
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Post imported post

    Sounds like you are at Fort Lee. Ranges over 100 yards are few and far between in these parts. Cavalier is private so you would need a member invitation (not a member myself). Some options might be Fort Eustis (Newport News) or Quantico (Fredericksburg). Since you are active duty, some doors may be open that would not be for the rest of us.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    463

    Post imported post

    pktrusty wrote:
    I am only going to be in the state for about 4 more months while attending Army Schooling. My duty station is going in Texas. I am looking forward to seeing the NRA Firearm Museum while in Virginia. It is my honor to serve my country and follow generations of great Americans. I don't know why Iowan's don't push for change. It is nice to see a state determined to fight for more rights and maintaining what it has. The one thing that I miss from Iowa is high power ranges. I am near Petersburg and I haven't been able to find a range over 100 yds. Any suggestions? I have to get tuned up for some prairie dog hunting this may.
    Hooah!!! The only public range over 100 yards that I know or close by is http://c2shootingcenter-va.com/ There is also http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1 It's the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area. Not sure on the distances of the range...I'm supposed to be going up in a few weeks with a buddy of mine.

    BTW I work for TRADOC at Ft Monroe...Keep up the good work Soldier!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Richmond/VA Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    89

    Post imported post

    I will second C2 Shooting Center. It is a sweet place with ranges up to 300 yards. I go to VCU in Richmond and am originally from VA Beach so I frequent both places. C2 is a top notch facility IMO, its outdoor though so weather need be taken into consideration. Let me know if you ever want to take a road trip down there... I need to take my dads 30.06 and sight in cause I dont guess he ever will.

  10. #10
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Just curious, what's the max range at Clark Brothers, near Warrenton?

    TFred


  11. #11
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    Just curious, what's the max range at Clark Brothers, near Warrenton?

    TFred
    I believe it's 100 yards but it's been years since I have used that range.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  12. #12
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    pktrusty wrote:
    I am only going to be in the state for about 4 more months while attending Army Schooling. My duty station is going in Texas. I am looking forward to seeing the NRA Firearm Museum while in Virginia. It is my honor to serve my country and follow generations of great Americans. I don't know why Iowan's don't push for change. It is nice to see a state determined to fight for more rights and maintaining what it has. The one thing that I miss from Iowa is high power ranges. I am near Petersburg and I haven't been able to find a range over 100 yds. Any suggestions? I have to get tuned up for some prairie dog hunting this may.
    If you get an opportunity to visit the National Firearms Museum, allow some time. It is a superbly setup display. Before you come up here, why not put together a luncheon for fellow OC'ers. We would be happy to join you. If you are of a mind to do this, feel free to ask and we can help you set it up.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    171

    Post imported post

    Yes, it tops out at 100 yards, but it's a really nice, friendly, and well run range.

    Since the range itself is free I don't mind their requirement that you shoot their ammo there - and the prices aren't too bad.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    463

    Post imported post

    According to their website http://clarkbrosguns.com/home.htmlthe max on the range is 100yds.

    It's funny...whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC. I've driven by Clark Brothers 100 times...next time I'm stopping in!

  15. #15
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC.
    The only reason to stop in D.C. is to drop off refuse to add to the pile.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC.
    The only reason to stop in D.C. is to drop off refuse to add to the pile.
    Or to go to the Caps game!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    463

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC.
    The only reason to stop in D.C. is to drop off refuse to add to the pile.
    Or to go to the Caps game!
    Well...being from Chicago, I'm a Blackhawks fan...the only reason I'd go toa Caps game is if they were playing the Hawks...

  18. #18
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Well... being from Chicago, I'm a Blackhawks fan...
    But you escaped and now enjoy freedoms you would have to BEG your government for in Illinois.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  19. #19
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    According to their website http://clarkbrosguns.com/home.htmlthe max on the range is 100yds.

    It's funny...whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC. I've driven by Clark Brothers 100 times...next time I'm stopping in!
    You left off taking 29 in Opal where Clark Brothers is (not being funny). If you don't take the following route, give it a try on your next trip.

    Once you are on route 29 and you go by Clark Brothers, eight miles later you will be in the vicinity of Warrenton. Watch your exit signs and take the ones that will put you on 17 North to Marshall. This is a nice (roughly) twelve mile drive to Marshall and just before you get there, you can jump off onto 66 west.



    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    According to their website http://clarkbrosguns.com/home.htmlthe max on the range is 100yds.

    It's funny...whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC. I've driven by Clark Brothers 100 times...next time I'm stopping in!
    You left off taking 29 in Opal where Clark Brothers is (not being funny). If you don't take the following route, give it a try on your next trip.

    Once you are on route 29 and you go by Clark Brothers, eight miles later you will be in the vicinity of Warrenton. Watch your exit signs and take the ones that will put you on 17 North to Marshall. This is a nice (roughly) twelve mile drive to Marshall and just before you get there, you can jump off onto 66 west.


    No, he didn't. That part of 29 is also 17. So, taking 17 from Fredericksburg to 66 takes one right past Clark Brothers and through Warrenton...

    Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portsmouth, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    463

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Well... being from Chicago, I'm a Blackhawks fan...
    But you escaped and now enjoy freedoms you would have to BEG your government for in Illinois.
    Yes I did!!! I will never live under those circumstances again...

    American by birth, Virginian by choice!
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    According to their website the max on the range is 100yds.

    It's funny...whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC. I've driven by Clark Brothers 100 times...next time I'm stopping in!
    You left off taking 29 in Opal where Clark Brothers is (not being funny). If you don't take the following route, give it a try on your next trip.

    Once you are on route 29 and you go by Clark Brothers, eight miles later you will be in the vicinity of Warrenton. Watch your exit signs and take the ones that will put you on 17 North to Marshall. This is a nice (roughly) twelve mile drive to Marshall and just before you get there, you can jump off onto 66 west.


    No, he didn't. That part of 29 is also 17. So, taking 17 from Fredericksburg to 66 takes one right past Clark Brothers and through Warrenton...

    Roscoe

    Yeah, US 17 intermixes with so many State and County highways...there are very few places along there it is just US 17...I've drivenUS 17 anumber of times.I love the section of the drive where you get off of 66 after only a couple of miles and drive through the valley with all those beautiful farms betweenDelaplane and Paris where it turns into 17/50 into Winchester...breathtaking country up there.Now we usually just stay on 66 to 81, then get off and take 522 towards Breezewood...only have to be in MD for about 5 mins...

  22. #22
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    Well... being from Chicago, I'm a Blackhawks fan...
    But you escaped and now enjoy freedoms you would have to BEG your government for in Illinois.
    Yes I did!!! I will never live under those circumstances again...

    American by birth, Virginian by choice!
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    fully_armed_biker wrote:
    According to their website
    the max on the range is 100yds.

    It's funny...whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC. I've driven by Clark Brothers 100 times...next time I'm stopping in!
    You left off taking 29 in Opal where Clark Brothers is (not being funny). If you don't take the following route, give it a try on your next trip.

    Once you are on route 29 and you go by Clark Brothers, eight miles later you will be in the vicinity of Warrenton. Watch your exit signs and take the ones that will put you on 17 North to Marshall. This is a nice (roughly) twelve mile drive to Marshall and just before you get there, you can jump off onto 66 west.


    No, he didn't. That part of 29 is also 17. So, taking 17 from Fredericksburg to 66 takes one right past Clark Brothers and through Warrenton...

    Roscoe

    Yeah, US 17 intermixes with so many State and County highways...there are very few places along there it is just US 17...I've drivenUS 17 anumber of times.I love the section of the drive where you get off of 66 after only a couple of miles and drive through the valley with all those beautiful farms betweenDelaplane and Paris where it turns into 17/50 into Winchester...breathtaking country up there.Now we usually just stay on 66 to 81, then get off and take 522 towards Breezewood...only have to be in MD for about 5 mins...
    So does route 15 but those of us who live here don't think of it like that.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Yeah, US 17 intermixes with so many State and County highways...there are very few places along there it is just US 17...I've drivenUS 17 anumber of times.I love the section of the drive where you get off of 66 after only a couple of miles and drive through the valley with all those beautiful farms betweenDelaplane and Paris where it turns into 17/50 into Winchester...breathtaking country up there.Now we usually just stay on 66 to 81, then get off and take 522 towards Breezewood...only have to be in MD for about 5 mins...
    So does route 15 but those of us who live here don't think of it like that.
    Those of us that live in Fauquier County do

    Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  24. #24
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    roscoe13 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Yeah, US 17 intermixes with so many State and County highways...there are very few places along there it is just US 17...I've drivenUS 17 anumber of times.I love the section of the drive where you get off of 66 after only a couple of miles and drive through the valley with all those beautiful farms betweenDelaplane and Paris where it turns into 17/50 into Winchester...breathtaking country up there.Now we usually just stay on 66 to 81, then get off and take 522 towards Breezewood...only have to be in MD for about 5 mins...
    So does route 15 but those of us who live here don't think of it like that.
    Those of us that live in Fauquier County do

    Roscoe
    That's cool. You know it's got to be confusing for out-of-staters to see highways with certain route numbers to change and then reappear somewhere miles down the road. I live not far from route 15 which, for all intents and purposes, ceases to exist at the intersection of 15 and 29. But Wait! What is this? It appears again out of nowhere.

    So basically, I just think of 17 off of 95 heading towards Warrenton, ends (temporarily) at 29 close to Clark Brothers, and 29 continues on through New Baltimore to Gainesville, through the battlefield, and on into Fairfax.

    Gets nuts.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •