• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Rules?

pktrusty

imported post

I just completed my Utah CCW course and has some questions about Virginia's Open Carry. Do the Open Cary laws apply to Virginia Residents or anyone instate? I am military with residence in another state currently stationed in Virginia.

pktrusty

imported post

Can I just say that is amazing. I came from a state where the only option is a conceal permit and those are "may issue" rather than a "shall issue". I am sure you know the politics involved in that language. Virginia is Lightyears ahead of where I come from. **Cough Iowa Cough**

Riana

imported post

pktrusty wrote:
Can I just say that is amazing. I came from a state where the only option is a conceal permit and those are "may issue" rather than a "shall issue". I am sure you know the politics involved in that language. Virginia is Lightyears ahead of where I come from. **Cough Iowa Cough**
Thank you for your service, and enjoy your stay here. :dude:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our nation. You are going to love your new-found freedom here in Virginia. You will quickly find that Virginia is very gun-friendly and open to OC'ing. Where will you be in the state?

pktrusty

imported post

I am only going to be in the state for about 4 more months while attending Army Schooling. My duty station is going in Texas. I am looking forward to seeing the NRA Firearm Museum while in Virginia. It is my honor to serve my country and follow generations of great Americans. I don't know why Iowan's don't push for change. It is nice to see a state determined to fight for more rights and maintaining what it has. The one thing that I miss from Iowa is high power ranges. I am near Petersburg and I haven't been able to find a range over 100 yds. Any suggestions? I have to get tuned up for some prairie dog hunting this may.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Sounds like you are at Fort Lee. Ranges over 100 yards are few and far between in these parts. Cavalier is private so you would need a member invitation (not a member myself). Some options might be Fort Eustis (Newport News) or Quantico (Fredericksburg). Since you are active duty, some doors may be open that would not be for the rest of us.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

pktrusty wrote:
I am only going to be in the state for about 4 more months while attending Army Schooling. My duty station is going in Texas. I am looking forward to seeing the NRA Firearm Museum while in Virginia. It is my honor to serve my country and follow generations of great Americans. I don't know why Iowan's don't push for change. It is nice to see a state determined to fight for more rights and maintaining what it has. The one thing that I miss from Iowa is high power ranges. I am near Petersburg and I haven't been able to find a range over 100 yds. Any suggestions? I have to get tuned up for some prairie dog hunting this may.

Hooah!!! The only public range over 100 yards that I know or close by is http://c2shootingcenter-va.com/ There is also http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=1 It's the Chickahominy Wildlife Management Area. Not sure on the distances of the range...I'm supposed to be going up in a few weeks with a buddy of mine.

BTW I work for TRADOC at Ft Monroe...Keep up the good work Soldier!

driveramsII

imported post

I will second C2 Shooting Center. It is a sweet place with ranges up to 300 yards. I go to VCU in Richmond and am originally from VA Beach so I frequent both places. C2 is a top notch facility IMO, its outdoor though so weather need be taken into consideration. Let me know if you ever want to take a road trip down there... I need to take my dads 30.06 and sight in cause I dont guess he ever will.

SouthernBoy

imported post

pktrusty wrote:
If you get an opportunity to visit the National Firearms Museum, allow some time. It is a superbly setup display. Before you come up here, why not put together a luncheon for fellow OC'ers. We would be happy to join you. If you are of a mind to do this, feel free to ask and we can help you set it up.

livitup

imported post

Yes, it tops out at 100 yards, but it's a really nice, friendly, and well run range.

Since the range itself is free I don't mind their requirement that you shoot their ammo there - and the prices aren't too bad. :)

wylde007

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC.
The only reason to stop in D.C. is to drop off refuse to add to the pile.

hunter45

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC.

Or to go to the Caps game!

fully_armed_biker

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:

Or to go to the Caps game!
Well...being from Chicago, I'm a Blackhawks fan...the only reason I'd go toa Caps game is if they were playing the Hawks...:D

SouthernBoy

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
According to their website http://clarkbrosguns.com/home.htmlthe max on the range is 100yds.

It's funny...whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC. I've driven by Clark Brothers 100 times...next time I'm stopping in!
You left off taking 29 in Opal where Clark Brothers is (not being funny). If you don't take the following route, give it a try on your next trip.

Once you are on route 29 and you go by Clark Brothers, eight miles later you will be in the vicinity of Warrenton. Watch your exit signs and take the ones that will put you on 17 North to Marshall. This is a nice (roughly) twelve mile drive to Marshall and just before you get there, you can jump off onto 66 west.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
According to their website http://clarkbrosguns.com/home.htmlthe max on the range is 100yds.

It's funny...whenever we drive to Pittsburgh or Chicago we get off in Fredricksburg and take 17 to 66 to 81 (or the reverse coming back) to avoid DC. I've driven by Clark Brothers 100 times...next time I'm stopping in!
You left off taking 29 in Opal where Clark Brothers is (not being funny). If you don't take the following route, give it a try on your next trip.

Once you are on route 29 and you go by Clark Brothers, eight miles later you will be in the vicinity of Warrenton. Watch your exit signs and take the ones that will put you on 17 North to Marshall. This is a nice (roughly) twelve mile drive to Marshall and just before you get there, you can jump off onto 66 west.
No, he didn't. That part of 29 is also 17. So, taking 17 from Fredericksburg to 66 takes one right past Clark Brothers and through Warrenton...

Roscoe