Thread: Holster with magazine pouch attached to holster

Post imported post

can anyone tell me if its ok to OC with a holster that has the magazine pouch attatched to the front of the holster

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

IANAL, but I sure as heck can't see why it would NOT be okay!

My Tokarev holsters come with a spare mag pouch on thethem (as many former Eastern Bloc Communist countries' sidearmsdid)...so IMO, OC is just that -- in the open.

If we get OC here in TX (or if I visit NM and can OC there) that's the holster I'll use (which also fits my Tokarev-clone Zastava M88 Compact 9mm, too).

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

anyone know about Kalifornia?

Post imported post

thanks ya i wasnt to sure cuz im not to clear on how california see's what a loaded firearm really is.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I don't know about CA either, I was just employing common sense...which means, I may well be completely wrong! ;-)

You need to BE SURE first, but frankly, I don't think it's an issue.

-- John D.

Post imported post

thanks for the response. Im new to OCing and am thinking about doing it but i wanna be sure of my holster before hand.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Post your question in the state-specific California area...those people should know.

-- John D.

Post imported post

Hey there,

I'm no lawyer either but as a matter of technicality I do not see aproblem with it. Though when you consider the wording "attached to the weapon" you can see how some poor rookie who fell asleep in class could misconstrue penal code. The further away the better. Not to mention that magazines stored on your support side is more sound from a rapid reload standpoint.

I saw an OC'er use that pouch as a handy place for his voice recorder with a mike run up and clipped to the inside of his shirt, thought that was a good idea.

Defensor

Post imported post

I never understood the ergonomic logic behind those holsters with a spare mag pouch built in...

A spare mag on your "strong side" makes it REALLY awkward to grab for a reload. Plus, it makes the weight of a loaded handgun and a spare mag REALLY concentrated in a small spot on your belt.

I much prefer to spread out the weight and put my spare mags on the left. More comfortable to carry, and easier to grab for reloads. It just makes more sense all around...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Well, it makes sense to some people, like me. I like milsurp guns AND their holsters even if some people don'tunderstand it. I do, and of course I'm the one who is carrying it, not someone else.I like the holster and spare mag to be in one place...I can always carry an extra mag pouch on the offside in addition. And a magazinebeing a"weight"issue is simply silly.

And I don't do "tactical reloads" -- I'll leave that to you and Steven Seagal. ;-)

"I am a simple soldier, and as a soldier...I see things simply." (General Ursus, Planetof the Apes - 1968)

-- John D.

P.S. I use acrossdraw holster (or a M3 GI-issue milsurp shoulder holster) and although I'm right-handed, I NEVER wear a holster on my right side. Never. So "ergonomics" isn't an issue, either...it feels very natural for ME.

Post imported post

Interesting, there is nothing complicated about a tactical reload, recruits learn this their first time on the pistol range. but I don't recall anyone making mention of a tactical reload. could it have been my mention of a rapid reload that confused you?

I also used the good old GI shoulder holsterto carry my .45 but I don't recall a magazine pouch on it. That must be what that OD canvas thing on my left side was for. Hence cross drawwith your strong hand and reload with your support hand. NowI'm not real big onstevens' movies but I do know thatanyone who carries afirearm might want tobe practiced at a "RAPID RELOAD" not to look cool in your next action movie butso you can reload and reengagefaster than the other guy. How does that sound to you? Since you cross draw from a shoulder holster do you also wear your magazines on the same side or maybe you don't carry spare mags. Maybe a "simple soldier" simply does not miss.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Whatever you say...it works for me regardless. But FYI, if I DO carry a separate mag pouch, it's a double-mag pouch and it's also on the left side.

As far as the possibility of dyingbecause I couldn't reload "fast enough," I couldn't care less. In a shootout with someone, I only will be focused on killing the POS, and it doesn't matter if I survive the event or not. Hopefully I will, but if not, as I see it it's just my time to go. Life is not that important to mepartly because most of it's over anyway.

No, I'm no expert shot, but I don't take a shot I can't make. And, over the years I've noticed that I don't get any better or any worse whether I practice or not. That's good, because I shoot well enough to hit the target even if I don't practice (actually, I find going out shooting to be quite boring).

So if you'll excuse me, I'm done here. I don't want to persuade, explain, debate or argue the matter further. You do your thing, I mine.

Thanks,

-- John D.

P.S. Just another FYI: I didn't say the M3 had a spare mag pocket, I just meant I liked it and it's my preferred shoulder hoslter were I to wear a shoulder holster -- but I USUALLY wear an ankle holster since we onlyhave CC in "this here great state of TX" [sarcasm], no OC (but when I visit NM it's a different story).Adding a mag pockettoan M3, however,is a great idea...thanks.

Post imported post

Ten minutes of actual training and you'll dump that mag pouch like the crap it is.

Please don't open carry if you don't know what you're doing.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You still don't get it,but enough has already been said. People can carry however way they want, that's their choice whether I agree or not. Or you. I know what I'm doing FOR ME, not anyone else.

Fortunately, I don't need your approvalor agreement, especially when it's from someone who is a complete and irrelevant nobody to me.

-- John D.

P.S. Most "training" isHIGHLY overrated. OC doesn't require training, which is how itSHOULD be.

Post imported post

I agree. It's a right, not a privilege. It can be annoying sometimes, but that's the nature of rights. I'd rather be annoyed occasionally than denied the right.

Clarification: I read your post again and you stated you carry a spare magazine on the other side. This is just fine since you can quickly access it in case of emergency. I see no reason not to carry an additional magazine if your gear allows it. More ammo is better!
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The spare mag on the holster is not meant for speed-reloading events, it's just there soyou have a spare mag on you (IF you put one in the pocket, of course). Still, it's a whole lot faster than leaving a spare mag at home or in the car because you forgot it or just didn't want to carry a spare mag(s) somewhere else on your person.

Add a double mag pouch on your belt, and you've a total of 4 mags, but 2 should (!!)be plenty, although most likely, the "event" will be over (either you or the other guy will be dead) before the first mag is empty, so IMO, having extra mags really isn't a big issue.And remember, these kinds of holsters (milsurp) are for OCing, not CCing, because they are designed for in-the-open combat use in the field (and to protect the gun from weather/dirt/dust), not for concealment use on more "civilized" civilian streets.

I just happen to like (prefer) milsurp guns & gear asthey arecombat tested, andI like having my gun and 2 mags in one nice tidy package (I have HP ammoin the gun and FMJ in the spare mag, so I can select bewteen soft and hard targetsas needed).

But ifthat's just me,I'm fine with that.

-- John D.

Post imported post

Air Soft holster from Walmart, $6.47 fits several autos. This is my SR-9 and exter mag!!

Post imported post

With the SR9

Post imported post

thats a nice holster. I wouldnt of figured that you could use an airsoft gun holster.

Post imported post

I have an Uncle Mike's holster that has a mag pouch on the front of it. It's never been used & well ...no wonder it sits in the dresser drawer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

halo6941 wrote:
    can anyone tell me if its ok to OC with a holster that has the magazine pouch attatched to the front of the holster
    Here in the PRK, it would appear that a holster with a mag pouch on it is ok so long as the clip is not touching the firearm:

C.P.C. 12031
    Code:
    (g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of
    this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell,
    consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or
    shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but
    not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof
    attached to the firearm; except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be
    deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder
    charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

Post imported post

My leg holster that I use has one and has worked out great for me.

-I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    I never understood the ergonomic logic behind those holsters with a spare mag pouch built in...

A spare mag on your "strong side" makes it REALLY awkward to grab for a reload. Plus, it makes the weight of a loaded handgun and a spare mag REALLY concentrated in a small spot on your belt.

I much prefer to spread out the weight and put my spare mags on the left. More comfortable to carry, and easier to grab for reloads. It just makes more sense all around...
    They make sense if you only have one arm/hand.

Imagine if you got injured in your non dominate arm (the side your spare ammo is carried) could you draw your spare mags with your dominate hand?

I hate cheap nylon holsters.

When I lost the use of my dominate arm for awhilethis is what I carried my P7M8 in:

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    They make sense if you only have one arm/hand.

Imagine if you got injured in your non dominate arm (the side your spare ammo is carried) could you draw your spare mags with your dominate hand?
    That's why I love Glocks, a G21 mag will fit in a G30 and I can put my extras either on my belt or on my chest rig with the mag pouches pointed down making for an easy grab with either hand. Not to mention I'm limber and fit enough to grab from my support side behind my back and still draw my secondary or spare mags. It's an awkward grab, but I'm still quick enough with it.

Oh wait, homeboy doesn't believe in training and practice.