• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster with magazine pouch attached to holster

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

IANAL, but I sure as heck can't see why it would NOT be okay!

My Tokarev holsters come with a spare mag pouch on thethem (as many former Eastern Bloc Communist countries' sidearmsdid)...so IMO, OC is just that -- in the open.

If we get OC here in TX (or if I visit NM and can OC there) that's the holster I'll use (which also fits my Tokarev-clone Zastava M88 Compact 9mm, too).

-- John D.

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey there,

I'm no lawyer either but as a matter of technicality I do not see aproblem with it. Though when you consider the wording "attached to the weapon" you can see how some poor rookie who fell asleep in class could misconstrue penal code. The further away the better. Not to mention that magazines stored on your support side is more sound from a rapid reload standpoint.

I saw an OC'er use that pouch as a handy place for his voice recorder with a mike run up and clipped to the inside of his shirt, thought that was a good idea.

Defensor

Dreamer

imported post

I never understood the ergonomic logic behind those holsters with a spare mag pouch built in...

A spare mag on your "strong side" makes it REALLY awkward to grab for a reload. Plus, it makes the weight of a loaded handgun and a spare mag REALLY concentrated in a small spot on your belt.

I much prefer to spread out the weight and put my spare mags on the left. More comfortable to carry, and easier to grab for reloads. It just makes more sense all around...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, it makes sense to some people, like me. I like milsurp guns AND their holsters even if some people don'tunderstand it. I do, and of course I'm the one who is carrying it, not someone else.I like the holster and spare mag to be in one place...I can always carry an extra mag pouch on the offside in addition. And a magazinebeing a"weight"issue is simply silly.

And I don't do "tactical reloads" -- I'll leave that to you and Steven Seagal. ;-)

"I am a simple soldier, and as a soldier...I see things simply." (General Ursus, Planetof the Apes - 1968)

-- John D.

P.S. I use acrossdraw holster (or a M3 GI-issue milsurp shoulder holster) and although I'm right-handed, I NEVER wear a holster on my right side. Never. So "ergonomics" isn't an issue, either...it feels very natural for ME.

DEFENSOR

imported post

Interesting, there is nothing complicated about a tactical reload, recruits learn this their first time on the pistol range. but I don't recall anyone making mention of a tactical reload. could it have been my mention of a rapid reload that confused you?

I also used the good old GI shoulder holsterto carry my .45 but I don't recall a magazine pouch on it. That must be what that OD canvas thing on my left side was for. Hence cross drawwith your strong hand and reload with your support hand. NowI'm not real big onstevens' movies but I do know thatanyone who carries afirearm might want tobe practiced at a "RAPID RELOAD" not to look cool in your next action movie butso you can reload and reengagefaster than the other guy. How does that sound to you? Since you cross draw from a shoulder holster do you also wear your magazines on the same side or maybe you don't carry spare mags. Maybe a "simple soldier" simply does not miss.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Whatever you say...it works for me regardless. But FYI, if I DO carry a separate mag pouch, it's a double-mag pouch and it's also on the left side.

As far as the possibility of dyingbecause I couldn't reload "fast enough," I couldn't care less. In a shootout with someone, I only will be focused on killing the POS, and it doesn't matter if I survive the event or not. Hopefully I will, but if not, as I see it it's just my time to go. Life is not that important to mepartly because most of it's over anyway.

No, I'm no expert shot, but I don't take a shot I can't make. And, over the years I've noticed that I don't get any better or any worse whether I practice or not. That's good, because I shoot well enough to hit the target even if I don't practice (actually, I find going out shooting to be quite boring).

So if you'll excuse me, I'm done here. I don't want to persuade, explain, debate or argue the matter further. You do your thing, I mine.

Thanks,

-- John D.

P.S. Just another FYI: I didn't say the M3 had a spare mag pocket, I just meant I liked it and it's my preferred shoulder hoslter were I to wear a shoulder holster -- but I USUALLY wear an ankle holster since we onlyhave CC in "this here great state of TX" [sarcasm], no OC (but when I visit NM it's a different story).Adding a mag pockettoan M3, however,is a great idea...thanks.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You still don't get it,but enough has already been said. People can carry however way they want, that's their choice whether I agree or not. Or you. I know what I'm doing FOR ME, not anyone else.

Fortunately, I don't need your approvalor agreement, especially when it's from someone who is a complete and irrelevant nobody to me.

-- John D.

P.S. Most "training" isHIGHLY overrated. OC doesn't require training, which is how itSHOULD be.

230therapy

imported post

I agree. It's a right, not a privilege. It can be annoying sometimes, but that's the nature of rights. I'd rather be annoyed occasionally than denied the right.

Clarification: I read your post again and you stated you carry a spare magazine on the other side. This is just fine since you can quickly access it in case of emergency. I see no reason not to carry an additional magazine if your gear allows it. More ammo is better!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The spare mag on the holster is not meant for speed-reloading events, it's just there soyou have a spare mag on you (IF you put one in the pocket, of course). Still, it's a whole lot faster than leaving a spare mag at home or in the car because you forgot it or just didn't want to carry a spare mag(s) somewhere else on your person.

Add a double mag pouch on your belt, and you've a total of 4 mags, but 2 should (!!)be plenty, although most likely, the "event" will be over (either you or the other guy will be dead) before the first mag is empty, so IMO, having extra mags really isn't a big issue.And remember, these kinds of holsters (milsurp) are for OCing, not CCing, because they are designed for in-the-open combat use in the field (and to protect the gun from weather/dirt/dust), not for concealment use on more "civilized" civilian streets.

I just happen to like (prefer) milsurp guns & gear asthey arecombat tested, andI like having my gun and 2 mags in one nice tidy package (I have HP ammoin the gun and FMJ in the spare mag, so I can select bewteen soft and hard targetsas needed).

But ifthat's just me,I'm fine with that.

-- John D.

White Falcon

imported post

Air Soft holster from Walmart, $6.47 fits several autos. This is my SR-9 and exter mag!!

FightingGlock19

imported post

I have an Uncle Mike's holster that has a mag pouch on the front of it. It's never been used & well ...no wonder it sits in the dresser drawer.