Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: PA carry from another state

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    § 6106b article 11



    does it not say that if you have a carry permitfrom another state then you can carry in PA?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771

    Post imported post

    It states in a vehicle....not while walking around....


    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    States dont have rights. People do.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155

    Post imported post

    To elaborate a little bit more, being in a vehicle with a firearm, open or concealed on your person, requires either an LTCF or a license/permit from any other state.

    Open carry, except in Philadelphia, does not require an LTCF or license/permit.

    Concealed carry, including open carry in Philadelphia, requires either an LTCF or a license/permit from another state as recognized by the Attorney General's Office.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Well thanks but then if you go to the PA state police web site it say YOU CAN NOT.... so I wrote a Letter to the State office to get the clear issue ...

    Thanks will let you know what they say.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155

    Post imported post

    We just tell you what the law says. What "the authorities" tell you can be something else altogether.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    Yes thanks for your reply on this. I just baffles me That the law states if I have a permit in my state then I can come to PA and carry using my state id and its Ok to do this...but on the state police website it says that I MUST get a PA carry permit in order to carry even though I have my state permit unless I am an exception , and the exception states to have an out of state permit allows you to carry in PA...

    So lets see what the state says.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771

    Post imported post

    shadow dweller wrote:
    Yes thanks for your reply on this. I just baffles me That the law states if I have a permit in my state then I can come to PA and carry using my state id and its Ok to do this...but on the state police website it says that I MUST get a PA carry permit in order to carry even though I have my state permit unless I am an exception , and the exception states to have an out of state permit allows you to carry in PA...

    So lets see what the state says.
    again...that exception is for vehicular carry of the firearm....it does not cover you to carry it concealed on your hip while eating at a restaurant...or bowling with the cousins...etc.

    I just want to make sure you understand the difference.

    where do you live? What state licenses do you have?
    States dont have rights. People do.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    shadow dweller wrote:
    § 6106b article 11

    does it not say that if you have a carry permit from another state then you can carry in PA?

    Thanks
    Your question only asks about "carry" and references permits.

    You may OC (open carry) without a permit throughout Pa. with two major exceptions:

    First, being that you must have a permit to open carry in the city of
    Philadelphia and second, you must have a permit to open carry in a vehicle.


    No permit to OC otherwise required in Pa. - not from any state.
    Same is true in Va. and you can do so in a vehicle there.

    Yata hey



    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    ADVISORY NOTE: The above referenced section lays out the exceptions besides having a license under §6109. Note that “concealed” carry and carry in vehicles is the only type of carry defined as an offense without a license. Open carry is not mentioned while on foot so lack of statute constitutes legal standing. Under subsection (b)(11), A person who has a license to carry from any state may carry, whether openly or concealed, a handgun in his or her vehicle. Under subsection (b)(15), a person who has a license to carry a firearm from another state which the Attorney General has determined that such other state recognizes licenses under §6109 and determined to have similar laws to the Commonwealth's, may carry a firearm concealed on his person on foot. These laws do not require that a person not be a Pennsylvania resident.





    and what does this say?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    I have a CT carry permit.....and let me say it does not say concealed carry anywhere on it....

    Thanks

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mays Landing, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    From what I can see you can carry concealed or open in your vehicle but would have to carry open on foot. except in Philly where you'd have to keep it in your car.
    Connecticut has no reciprocity with Pa.
    Have you considered getting a LTCF for Pa, I hear Centre County sheriff is very pro carry and will issue non resident licenses.


    http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

    In order to carry a handgun concealed in public you
    must possess a valid PA License to Carry Firearms
    (LTCF) or license from a reciprocal state.
    Ref: 18 PACS §6106
    ◊ ◊ ◊
    Carrying a handgun (open or concealed) in a vehicle
    requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license
    from ANY other state. Ref: 18 PACS §6106
    ◊ ◊ ◊
    Cities, towns and municipalities are prohibited by
    PA law from enacting laws prohibiting concealed or
    open carry. Ref: 18 PACS §6120


    sandcast69

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    sandcast69 wrote:
    From what I can see you can carry concealed or open in your vehicle but would have to carry open on foot. except in Philly where you'd have to keep it in your car.
    Connecticut has no reciprocity with Pa.
    Have you considered getting a LTCF for Pa, I hear Centre County sheriff is very pro carry and will issue non resident licenses.


    http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

    In order to carry a handgun concealed in public you
    must possess a valid PA License to Carry Firearms
    (LTCF) or license from a reciprocal state.
    Ref: 18 PACS §6106
    ◊ ◊ ◊
    Carrying a handgun (open or concealed) in a vehicle
    requires a valid PA LTCF or a carry license
    from ANY other state. Ref: 18 PACS §6106
    ◊ ◊ ◊
    Cities, towns and municipalities are prohibited by
    PA law from enacting laws prohibiting concealed or
    open carry. Ref: 18 PACS §6120


    sandcast69
    If you hold a concealed handgun permit (CHP) accepted by pa (FL or Utah or VA for example, all available by mail), or a PA License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) obtained from a mail order sheriff like in Centre county, you can carry concealed all you want - to apply for a PA LTCF you must hold a home state CHP ifit offers one (so DC, Wisconsin, Illinois, & Vermont residents do not need a home state CHP but apparently many or most Sheriffs demand Illinois residents have a Firearm Identification card).

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    Problem solved - by mail.

    While not reciprocity, it is kinda, sorta like recognition.

    Thanks Mike

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mays Landing, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    I apologize, I made the assumption that his state of residence was Conn since he stated he had a Conn permit.
    If not then the above mentioned states (Fla, Utah, Va) would definitely be the way to go.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •