Thread: my first 1911

Post imported post

para pxt 1911 or springfield 1911 i like them both cannt make a decision .

Post imported post

Springfield, best warranty in the business. A TRP is on my short list for my next 1911.

Post imported post

Para. Built like a tank (but with fit and finish like a Bentley), and double-stack capacity...

(to each his own... )
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

rhnhjh79 wrote:

My opinion (for what it is worth).

Shoot the Para before you buy. Great pistols, well built. But the double stack grip on a .45 is not for everyone. I have fairly large hands (Extra large Gloves), but the single stack 1911's just fit me better. Single stacks guns are also significantly slimmer. This bodes well for carry, OC and especially CC, if that is in your plans.

Steve
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Post imported post

Only bad thing about 1911s is that they get lonely and you have to buy more to keep them company.

Post imported post

jayspapa wrote:
    Only bad thing about 1911s is that they get lonely and you have to buy more to keep them company.
    +1+

Don't I know it. My Para has been whining for me to get it a few new siblings for months...

:celebrate:celebrate

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Read my two threads:

1911 research: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/31976.html

and

Para Big Hawg: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/36394.html

I like both guns for different reasons. The Para took a little breaking in while the Springfield didn't need much.

The double stack magazine on the Para gives great capacity and minimal increase in width. Once I held a Para with the double stack magazine I decided I had to have one. My biggest complaint about 1911's (and Sig's P220) was the low capacity 7+1 or 8+1. When I keep hearing about Springfields XDm with 19+1 in 9mm I wanted more capacity and got 15+1 with my Big Hawg and an extended magazine. The only thing I will say about that amount of capacity is the weight of the gun changes as your go through the rounds. So the first 6-8 rounds you will notice less felt recoil compared to the last 6-8 rounds. Not a big problem at all just be aware of it.

One other thing that was interesting with the Para was the LDA trigger. I may acquire a PX14 with one of those in the future.

Post imported post

I just bought a Para P7.45 single stack 1911 and I love it. My dad has a Springfield Loaded 1911 and I love that one too. Flip a coin? Better yet...buy both.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Post imported post

.45acp wrote:
    rhnhjh79 wrote:

My opinion (for what it is worth).

Shoot the Para before you buy. Great pistols, well built. But the double stack grip on a .45 is not for everyone. I have fairly large hands (Extra large Gloves), but the single stack 1911's just fit me better. Single stacks guns are also significantly slimmer. This bodes well for carry, OC and especially CC, if that is in your plans.

Steve
    Ditto that. The single stack is the way to go unless you have the mits to take a double.

Post imported post

The springfield is the better made of the two pistol usually, arguably better customer service also. I don't personally care for most paras as I find their fit and finish is lacking for how much they tend to cost.

Post imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
    The springfield is the better made of the two pistol usually, arguably better customer service also. I don't personally care for most paras as I find their fit and finish is lacking for how much they tend to cost.
    I have used both and think they are both a good quality firearm for the money. Actually, I believe my Para is a little tighter than my dads Springfield. Especially in slide to frame fit. His does seem to have a slightly better trigger than mine. Both of these were bought used and while I don't believe any work was done to either, there could have been so take it with a grain of salt. And where did the double stack conversation come from? I know Para makes a double stack but I don't think that is what the OP was talking about. My Para PXT is a single stack and the fit and finish is perfectly acceptable for the money IMHO. I can't speak for service as I haven't had a need to deal with either company so I will defer to more knowledgable posters in that respect.

Here's my Para...

Post imported post

I personaly have an afair with a compact COLT and I love the way it rides in its forward cant Galco high ride holster.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Post imported post

Thank you all.I do thank i well go with the springfield mi sec loaded.

Post imported post

The Milspec and the Loaded are two different 1911's. Either way, good choice.

Post imported post

RebelHell wrote:
    The Milspec and the Loaded are two different 1911's. Either way, good choice.
    decisions,,,,decisions??? whats a guy gonna do?
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
    RebelHell wrote:
    The Milspec and the Loaded are two different 1911's.Â* Either way, good choice.
    decisions,,,,decisions???Â* whats a guy gonna do?
    My choice was this Loaded 1911 Springfield

Post imported post

jayspapa wrote:
    Nice Model 1911 by Springfield.

Jayspapa is sooooo correct. Even though my Springfield .45 Model 1911 Ultra Compact has two brothers (Para P10-45 and Dan Wesson full size), two cousins that are wheel guns (Ruger security 6 .357 4-inch and Rossi 2-inch in .375), a baby brother (Kal-Teec in .32), two Fathers (DPMS AP-4 AR-15 - and Ruger Mini-14) and a Grandfather (Mossberg 12-guage with tactical stock), my poor little pistol is still complaining and whining for a wheel gun in .44 Mag. Family portrait is attached.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Post imported post

I would suggest you consider a SIG 1911. The Army Marksmanship Unit uses SIG 1911s for competition. Just a thought.

Post imported post

Paras are nice if you want something slim go with the SA

Post imported post

jpm84092 wrote:
    Nice Model 1911 by Springfield.

Jayspapa is sooooo correct. Even though my Springfield .45 Model 1911 Ultra Compact has two brothers (Para P10-45 and Dan Wesson full size), two cousins that are wheel guns (Ruger security 6 .357 4-inch and Rossi 2-inch in .375), a baby brother (Kal-Teec in .32), two Fathers (DPMS AP-4 AR-15 - and Ruger Mini-14) and a Grandfather (Mossberg 12-guage with tactical stock), my poor little pistol is still complaining and whining for a wheel gun in .44 Mag. Family portrait is attached.
    YUCK! I see barrel-mounted bi-pods in that picture!!! No no no!

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Para. Built like a tank (but with fit and finish like a Bentley), and double-stack capacity...

(to each his own... )
    O RLY?

I'd love a double-stack 1911. The wider grip would be a boon to me.

I might have to look into one of those. You said the PXT?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.