• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my first 1911

Dreamer

imported post

Para. Built like a tank (but with fit and finish like a Bentley), and double-stack capacity...

(to each his own... ;))

.45acp

imported post

rhnhjh79 wrote:
para pxt 1911 or springfield 1911 i like them both cannt make a decision .

My opinion (for what it is worth).

Shoot the Para before you buy. Great pistols, well built. But the double stack grip on a .45 is not for everyone. I have fairly large hands (Extra large Gloves), but the single stack 1911's just fit me better. Single stacks guns are also significantly slimmer. This bodes well for carry, OC and especially CC, if that is in your plans.

Steve

Dreamer

imported post

jayspapa wrote:
Only bad thing about 1911s is that they get lonely and you have to buy more to keep them company.;):D

+1+

Don't I know it. My Para has been whining for me to get it a few new siblings for months...

:banghead::celebrate:banghead::celebrate

45acpForMe

imported post

Read my two threads:

1911 research: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/31976.html

and

Para Big Hawg: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/36394.html

I like both guns for different reasons. The Para took a little breaking in while the Springfield didn't need much.

The double stack magazine on the Para gives great capacity and minimal increase in width. Once I held a Para with the double stack magazine I decided I had to have one. My biggest complaint about 1911's (and Sig's P220) was the low capacity 7+1 or 8+1. When I keep hearing about Springfields XDm with 19+1 in 9mm I wanted more capacity and got 15+1 with my Big Hawg and an extended magazine. The only thing I will say about that amount of capacity is the weight of the gun changes as your go through the rounds. So the first 6-8 rounds you will notice less felt recoil compared to the last 6-8 rounds. Not a big problem at all just be aware of it.

One other thing that was interesting with the Para was the LDA trigger. I may acquire a PX14 with one of those in the future.

RebelHell

imported post

I just bought a Para P7.45 single stack 1911 and I love it. My dad has a Springfield Loaded 1911 and I love that one too. Flip a coin? Better yet...buy both. :lol:

buster81

imported post

.45acp wrote:
rhnhjh79 wrote:
para pxt 1911 or springfield 1911 i like them both cannt make a decision .

My opinion (for what it is worth).

Shoot the Para before you buy. Great pistols, well built. But the double stack grip on a .45 is not for everyone. I have fairly large hands (Extra large Gloves), but the single stack 1911's just fit me better. Single stacks guns are also significantly slimmer. This bodes well for carry, OC and especially CC, if that is in your plans.

Steve
Ditto that. The single stack is the way to go unless you have the mits to take a double.

sevenplusone

imported post

The springfield is the better made of the two pistol usually, arguably better customer service also. I don't personally care for most paras as I find their fit and finish is lacking for how much they tend to cost.

RebelHell

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
The springfield is the better made of the two pistol usually, arguably better customer service also. I don't personally care for most paras as I find their fit and finish is lacking for how much they tend to cost.

I have used both and think they are both a good quality firearm for the money. Actually, I believe my Para is a little tighter than my dads Springfield. Especially in slide to frame fit. His does seem to have a slightly better trigger than mine. Both of these were bought used and while I don't believe any work was done to either, there could have been so take it with a grain of salt. And where did the double stack conversation come from? I know Para makes a double stack but I don't think that is what the OP was talking about. My Para PXT is a single stack and the fit and finish is perfectly acceptable for the money IMHO. I can't speak for service as I haven't had a need to deal with either company so I will defer to more knowledgable posters in that respect.

Here's my Para...

jpm84092

imported post

jayspapa wrote:
Only bad thing about 1911s is that they get lonely and you have to buy more to keep them company.;):D
Nice Model 1911 by Springfield.

Jayspapa is sooooo correct. Even though my Springfield .45 Model 1911 Ultra Compact has two brothers (Para P10-45 and Dan Wesson full size), two cousins that are wheel guns (Ruger security 6 .357 4-inch and Rossi 2-inch in .375), a baby brother (Kal-Teec in .32), two Fathers (DPMS AP-4 AR-15 - and Ruger Mini-14) and a Grandfather (Mossberg 12-guage with tactical stock), my poor little pistol is still complaining and whining for a wheel gun in .44 Mag. Family portrait is attached.

shad0wfax

imported post

jpm84092 wrote:
Nice Model 1911 by Springfield.

Jayspapa is sooooo correct. Even though my Springfield .45 Model 1911 Ultra Compact has two brothers (Para P10-45 and Dan Wesson full size), two cousins that are wheel guns (Ruger security 6 .357 4-inch and Rossi 2-inch in .375), a baby brother (Kal-Teec in .32), two Fathers (DPMS AP-4 AR-15 - and Ruger Mini-14) and a Grandfather (Mossberg 12-guage with tactical stock), my poor little pistol is still complaining and whining for a wheel gun in .44 Mag. Family portrait is attached.

YUCK! I see barrel-mounted bi-pods in that picture!!! No no no!