• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tell me about Kennesaw and Atlanta in general

TN_Mike

imported post

Well, my family and I are GA bound. We will be moving to the Atlanta area in a few weeks. I have accepted a job there and we are in the process of packing up the West Tennessee home and getting ready to move.

We are looking at the Kennesaw area (I saw the thread about the OC guys stopping a robbery!).

So I am asking, what is the process for getting my GA permit? I assume that OC is legal since I see 2 fellows in a Waffle House OCing kept it from being robbed just by being there.

Anything special I need to know? Tell me everything guys!

rmodel65

imported post

go to your probate judge in the county your are moving pay the fee total its around 66$ for 5 years

you have to get fingerprints done, some probates do them in house some you have to go to a sheriff office or PD etc...

you can get it as fast as that day(some small towns are really fast)to a max time limit of 42days by law as long as your not prohibited ie:no drug convictions ever,no domestic violence no felony unless pardoned.....

mine took around 13 days to get

might as well join GCO http://www.georgiacarry.org

and read up on our laws at http://www.Georgiapacking.org they are in plain english :)

TN_Mike

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
go to your probate judge in the county your are moving pay the fee total its around 66$ for 5 years

you have to get fingerprints done, some probates do them in house some you have to go to a sheriff office or PD etc...

you can get it as fast as that day(some small towns are really fast)to a max time limit of 42days by law as long as your not prohibited ie:no drug convictions ever,no domestic violence no felony unless pardoned.....

mine took around 13 days to get

might as well join GCO http://www.georgiacarry.org

and read up on our laws at http://www.Georgiapacking.org they are in plain english :)
Thanks rmodel65! This is exactly what I was looking for! I will be a new member over at GCO (probably not under the screen name TN_Mike though) real soon!

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

In general we're a friendly bunch. Kennesaw is where I'd like to move back to sooner or later. It's between 30 mins and 1.5 hours from Atlanta (depending on traffic). We'll give you a warm welcome at GeorgiaPacking.

aadvark

imported post

Do not Open Carry a Pistol unless you have a Valid Tennessee Handgun Permit,or until you geta Georgia Firearms License.

You may, however, Open Carry a Long-gun or other Hand-held Weapon in Georgia, regardless of whether or not you have eitherPermit.

However,Georgia has three major Laws that you need to know, and they are: 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, and 16-11-127.2.

Public Gatherings Laws will make a quick Arrest Case for Law Enforcement if you accidentially Carry in a Publlic Gathering.

Unlike Tennessee, Georgia'sSchool Zone Law is more restrictive than Tennessee's Law..., so do not come within a 1000feet of ANY School, or within a 1000 feet of ANY College/University, anywhere in Georgia with a Firearm.

Also, watch out for Nuclear Power Plants.

Furthermore, unlike Tennessee, if you Carry any Firearm or Weapon, Permit or not, to or while at ANY: Church, Political Event, Sporting Event, or Athletic Event..., then, you WILL go to Jail. Be Careful!!!!!!

However, unlike Tennessee... you may Carry at: Local, County, and State Parks (State Parks require Permit, unless it is a Long-gun or Hand-held Weapon), AND you may carry at Restaurants that serve Alcohol!

Just remember, like Tennessee... if you Open Carry a Pistol you HAVE to have a Permit.

The General Assembly may soon change all of this though.

Keep your hopes up for HB615, or Senate Bills 291 or 308!

exgabrit

imported post

As far as schools are concerned. As someone mentioned, there is a 1000 feet law.
There are exceptions.
1) if you live within 1000 feet you are not excluded from owning a firearm etc. there is a shooting range in augusta less than 500 feet from a high school.
2) if you have a carry license, you can have a firearm in your car while dropping off or picking up
3) you can be driving thru a school zone with a firearm within a 1000 feet
4) in the course of business should you enter school grounds you are somewhat covered by item (2)

i would not open carry in a school zone for obvious reasons.

TN_Mike

imported post

Thanks to everyone for the info provided so far. We are looking forward to getting our GA permits as soon as we are able to.