• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which ammo is the right choice?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Over pressure, not wear.

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
I think yes, that law enforcement officers supporting legally armed citizens are in the minority and that their fellows censure them.

Congratumalations to Dougs Huffman!

Dougs is now the NO. 1 poster on OCDO!!!!

Dougs now has 7,875 lifetime posts on OCDO and has surpassed Citizen, who has 7,871.

Way to goGalt's Gulchers!

america_number_one_poster-p228303289746284658qzz0_400.jpg

Dougsnumber one.

Dougs number one.

Dougs number one...

Landose_theghost

imported post

KansasKraut wrote:
Hey all. I'm a proud Taurus PT1911 owner and have a question about ammo. My manual says that I'm not supposed to use +P rounds. I'm assuming this is because of the increase in chamber pressure associated with these loads. My question is this: Is the danger that my barrel will wear out more quickly or will the darn thing explode in my face if I try to shoot +P?

I'd really like to have +P rounds loaded when I carry, but not if it's going to be more of a danger to me than to the bad guy.
For personal protection, go ahead and load +P ammo in your 1911. IMHO, so long as your not dumping tons & tonsof +P rounds down range, you'll be fine.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Abraxxas wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
  Just stray away from the snakeshot, I had a buddy who swore up and down that SS was the pistol equivalent of 00 buckshot,:banghead: deffinitly not the case for personal protection.

but those tiny little baby size shotgun shells are so cute. i even showed them to my wife. and they're see-through. that's even cooler. that so makes them worth the money. you can see what's inside them. how is that not the coolest thing ever???
I agree, I just wish they made them in more colors than blue... perhaps a variety pack or something, I'd like the options of color coding my ammo to my outfit.  Another thing Im hoping for in the near future is LED accent lighting inside the tips for some added flair at night.  Until then I'll stick with the 230grain Federal Hydra-Shok in my .45's.

man LED accent lighting for guns. now that would be awesome. damn now i have another project to put on my to-do list.

AaronS

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
what is this +P and +P+ that i keep seeing people talking about???
Some rounds are loaded hot, some are even hotter. Very common to see .38 SPL loaded to +p. Also very common to see 9mm in +p+. If I did +p+ in my 9mm, I think it would have cracked years ago, just to hot for my Taurus 92. At the same time, my Taurus .38 loves +p, and sees them a lot.

scorpio_vette

imported post

what is the purpose??? i mean as it is, people are already concerned about exiting and injuring other people. and then you go and put "hotter" loaded rounds in??? wouldn't that just make it come out faster, travel faster and exit faster???

sorry if i'm misunderstanding, i haven't really researched it yet. once again i'm just thinking very simple. if the "normal" round is enough to take somebody down and/or penetrate all the way and exit, then why make that same round even more powerful???

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
what is the purpose??? i mean as it is, people are already concerned about exiting and injuring other people. and then you go and put "hotter" loaded rounds in??? wouldn't that just make it come out faster, travel faster and exit faster???

sorry if i'm misunderstanding, i haven't really researched it yet. once again i'm just thinking very simple. if the "normal" round is enough to take somebody down and/or penetrate all the way and exit, then why make that same round even more powerful???
+P >> it has just a little more muzzle energy, hit's the target a little harder, faster.:)

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I've got some Federal Hydra-Shock +P+ .38 Special that I use in my Ruger SP101. Slightly less recoil than .357 magnum-- more importantly, less muzzle flash.

Also have +P+ .44 magnum for my Redhawk and Super Redhawk. It's a treat to shoot!

Abraxxas

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:

Im sure there is somebody here with a more technical and complete answer than mine but here goes. I believe one of the main reason for the +P ammo was to enable one to get close to the same energy/velocity when using some of todays new compact/sub compact pistols with short barrels as you would with say a standard 5" 1911 barrel. Shorter barrel = less velocity and +P helps get you back up to where you want to be for effective stopping power. Using a full size pistol you dont really need it... I also understand that there are a select few who actually hunt with .45 autos as well and a +P would certainly be a bonus for them. I havent foundany +P for my .454 Casull yet, that would be fun :)

protias

imported post

Abraxxas wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

Im sure there is somebody here with a more technical and complete answer than mine but here goes. I believe one of the main reason for the +P ammo was to enable one to get close to the same energy/velocity when using some of todays new compact/sub compact pistols with short barrels as you would with say a standard 5" 1911 barrel. Shorter barrel = less velocity and +P helps get you back up to where you want to be for effective stopping power. Using a full size pistol you dont really need it... I also understand that there are a select few who actually hunt with .45 autos as well and a +P would certainly be a bonus for them. I havent foundany +P for my .454 Casull yet, that would be fun :)
Why would you want to go +p for the .454?! :what:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:

Ideally you don't want the round to exit. A faster or more powerful round won't necessarily penetrate-- or overpenetrate-- more than a slower round. The higher velocity may create greater expansion or even fragmentation than the slower round and result in a decreased chance of over penetration.

If you compare the penetration, say of standard velocity 9mm FMJ with 5.56mm, you'll find that 9mm has far greater penetration through things such as flesh, water or drywall despite a much lower velocity and muzzle energy. So greater velocity doesn't necessarily result in greater penetration. Although it might. For example the +P+ .44 magnum I wrote about above will penetrate more. It's designed to penetrate deeply into large animals, e.g., a bear.

anmut

imported post

Mass x speed = energy (force)

Basically a smaller piece of lead at high velocity will carry more energy to the target than a larger piece at low velocity.

Then there's something called hydrostatic shock. Now THAT's some cool sh1t right there... google for more info

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

KansasKraut wrote:
Hey all. I'm a proud Taurus PT1911 owner and have a question about ammo. My manual says that I'm not supposed to use +P rounds. I'm assuming this is because of the increase in chamber pressure associated with these loads. My question is this: Is the danger that my barrel will wear out more quickly or will the darn thing explode in my face if I try to shoot +P?

I'd really like to have +P rounds loaded when I carry, but not if it's going to be more of a danger to me than to the bad guy.
Always follow the manufacturer's recommendations. +P's are nice but not necessary to stop a threat. A KA-BOOM could ruin your day and that of your loved ones.

I took a course called "Tactical Anatomy", put on by an ER DR. who instructs mostly LEO's all over the country. He taught us to visualize the internal organs in 3D for best shot placement and he said that any modern defensive ammo will be effective. He said to practice, practice, practice; because in the adrenaline-filled heat of the defensive moment, training and muscle memory will take over.

Dave

Lurchiron

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I've got some Federal Hydra-Shock +P+ .38 Special that I use in my Ruger SP101. Slightly less recoil than .357 magnum-- more importantly, less muzzle flash.

Also have +P+ .44 magnum for my Redhawk and Super Redhawk. It's a treat to shoot!

I remember shooting my 8in. Colt Anaconda 44mag. withsome 185gr. JHP from Remington. The box claimed 1600fps. WOW...ringing were the ears, high were the hands, and LONG...was the muzzle-flash.

I "mellowed" down to 240gr. Federal Hydro-shocks for carry, and 210gr. Winchester Silvertips for hunting.

ForDawn-Rae's new Kimber Custom Covert ll, we've been using Winchester PDX1 230gr. JHPs.