Thread: National (______) Carry

Post imported post

National Parks, National Historic Parks, National Recreation Areas, National Forests, National monuments, etc.

Have I left any out?

The more I read, the more National (_____) things I come across.

I've got Parks and Forests figures out, but does anybody know the skinny on all the other National places?

"Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

Well, you could include the National Zoo, but that is in Washington DC, so OC probably isn't a good idea there...

Although, once the McDonald case is decided in favor of Incorporation, even THAT may change... :celebrate
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

The great lawn, and other areas of DC are under the NPS. I wonder if the Park Police would stop me with a firearm

Post imported post

Anyone have any idea why? I've never heard this before, is it because it might be the only federal law enforcement officers that deal with the public? I find this hard to believe, but curious

"Opponents say the law ratchets up the potential for violence in parks, where for seven consecutive years rangers have been the most assaulted federal law enforcement officers, according to data compiled by the park service."

Post imported post

...and another question.

Don't some of the parks require (if I remember) you to go through a building to actually get into the park?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Pace wrote:
    Anyone have any idea why? I've never heard this before, is it because it might be the only federal law enforcement officers that deal with the public? I find this hard to believe, but curious

"Opponents say the law ratchets up the potential for violence in parks, where for seven consecutive years rangers have been the most assaulted federal law enforcement officers, according to data compiled by the park service."
    I would agree with your assessment. It seems like a loaded statement. It would make perfect sense that park rangers deal with the public, perhaps, more than any other Federal LEA.

Check this page out: http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/...d-on-duty.html

If that site is up-to-date, there was a murdered park ranger in 2002, shot by a smuggler on the U.S. Mexico Border, obviously that murderer didn't care about gun laws in place then.

In 1999, a ranger in Hawaii was murdered with his own gun by a person with a history of mental instability.

In comparison with, say, the FBI, the last FBI agent I could find that was actually shot and killed was Gregory J. Rahoi, who in 2006 suffered his fatal injury in a live fire training exercise. Beyond that, Stanley Ronquest Jr. was mugged and shot in 1992.

Here is an interesting set of statistics <a href="http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Federal+law+enforcement+officers+killed+and+assaul ted.-a0212326944">Federal law enforcement officers killed and assaulted.</a>

Pace wrote:
    ...and another question.

Don't some of the parks require (if I remember) you to go through a building to actually get into the park?
    Some probably do, many do not. In NC, I know Blue Ridge Parkway is exactly that, a parkway, you drive on to it. Great Smokey Mountains, same deal. Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, you can drive on to it. There are other parks but I am sure you don't have to go through a building to get to most of them if any.

Post imported post

Nah, there are more line of duty deaths, one in 2008 while serving a drug warrant. In 2007 there was a famous death of a FBI agent who was accident shot in the armpit by another agent who got so excited about seeing a suspect that when he got out of the car with his rifle, his put his finger in the trigger, while taking the safety off and shot his partner.

tekshogun wrote:
    In comparison with, say, the FBI, the last FBI agent I could find that was actually shot and killed was Gregory J. Rahoi, who in 2006 suffered his fatal injury in a live fire training exercise. Beyond that, Stanley Ronquest Jr. was mugged and shot in 1992.

Here is an interesting set of statistics <a href="http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Federal+law+enforcement+officers+killed+and+assaul ted.-a0212326944">Federal law enforcement officers killed and assaulted.</a>

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Pace wrote:
    Nah, there are more line of duty deaths, one in 2008 while serving a drug warrant. In 2007 there was a famous death of a FBI agent who was accident shot in the armpit by another agent who got so excited about seeing a suspect that when he got out of the car with his rifle, his put his finger in the trigger, while taking the safety off and shot his partner.

Well I missed that but my point was to show that felonious assaults onand homicide of federal officers were extremely rare and that it happens to park rangers more often, of course, there have been lots of cases of rangers "falling" off of cliffs and into water ways and either dying of an impact or from drowning.

I never liked the idea of people going out alone on back-country patrols but I must say their real troopers. But will they're lives be in greater danger becaues of the new law? I think not. Criminals will acquire and enter these parks to do their bidding anyway. The more armed citizens there are, the less likely for those criminals to get away with harming anyone.

Post imported post

National (EVERYWHERE) Carry

The only one I could think of.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    National (EVERYWHERE) Carry

The only one I could think of.

Well Mr. Horse, what do you think of rodbender's answer?

Hmmmm.... Yes, sir. I DO like it!