• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LA Times: Guns are now permitted in national parks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-parks-guns22-2010feb22,0,3561947.story

SNIP

Guns are now permitted -- but not necessarily welcomed -- in national parks
As the controversial law takes effect Monday, critics argue it could increase wildlife poaching, violence between visitors and against rangers, and destruction of historic and cultural monuments.

. . .

Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, which advocates legally carrying holstered handguns in public, said the law opens 85 million acres of the country where gun owners say they have felt unwelcome.

"Now it's a big sea of gun freedom," Stollenwerk said. "The idea is that the same rule that applies on Main Street will apply to the national park. We will have a uniform federal rule that will make it easier for everyone to know the rule."

Critics, however, say there are as many potential complications as there are state and local gun laws.

David Barna, a National Park Service spokesman, said park websites are providing some guidance to visitors, but it is the responsibility of each gun owner to understand the laws of the state they are visiting.

That could confuse visitors at the more than 30 national parks that span more than one state. The Appalachian Trail crosses 14 states. And though Yellowstone is mostly in Wyoming, parts of the world's first national park also straddle the borders of Montana and Idaho, each of which has different weapons laws.

Implementing the law will be particularly hard in California, which has more national park units than any other state and some of the nation's most restrictive firearms laws.

State law generally prohibits possession of concealed and loaded weapons, although local law enforcement agencies can issue concealed-carry permits, and carrying a loaded weapon may be allowed in some unincorporated areas.

Officials are scrambling to fully comprehend how the law will play out at national park units in California, from Redwood and Presidio, to Death Valley and Joshua Tree.

"Many of the details of the law are unknown at this time," said Deputy California Atty. Gen. Alison Merrilees. "It won't be crystal clear the day the law goes into effect."

. . .

Gundude

imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-parks-guns22-2010feb22,0,3561947.story

SNIP

Guns are now permitted -- but not necessarily welcomed -- in national parks
As the controversial law takes effect Monday, critics argue it could increase wildlife poaching, violence between visitors and against rangers, and destruction of historic and cultural monuments.

The argument that the misuse of a right is reason enough to prohibit it does not survive constitutional muster.

If you apply the same test to the 1st amendment, the news media would go on tilt. Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck and many legislators would have to be silent, butthe 1st amendment protects wrong headed comments. (death panels, and pulling the plug on grandma)

As with the 2nd amendment. If someone robs bankat gunpoint, or commits murder with a gun,do you take everyone's weapon because they may do the same? The 2nd amendment protects my right to carry a firearm till I misuse it.

EagleFiveZero

imported post

I carry Keys to a 6,000 SUV. Since drunk drivers and texting drivers kill people in accidents, shouldn't weeBAN all Automotive Vehicles in National and State Parks? Same logic applies, and I use it regularly with Anti-Gunners to make them stop intheir tracks. It works.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

EagleFiveZero wrote:
I carry Keys to a 6,000 SUV. Since drunk drivers and texting drivers kill people in accidents, shouldn't weeBAN all Automotive Vehicles in National and State Parks? Same logic applies, and I use it regularly with Anti-Gunners to make them stop intheir tracks. It works.
6,000 SUVs! Holy Crap!! Where do you keep so many keys?? :shock:

Gundude

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
EagleFiveZero wrote:
I carry Keys to a 6,000 SUV's. Since drunk drivers and texting drivers kill people in accidents, shouldn't weeBAN all Automotive Vehicles in National and State Parks? Same logic applies, and I use it regularly with Anti-Gunners to make them stop intheir tracks. It works.
6,000 SUVs! Holy Crap!! Where do you keep so many keys?? :shock:
prolly owns an oil refinery.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Of course, it would simplify life for the park rangers if California's gun laws weren't so contradictory, convoluted and complicated. You can open carry, but it can't be loaded. Open carry is okay here, but not there. Watch out, don't cross that invisible Gun Free School Zone line! Oh, you don't like to open carry? No problem, just carry concealed. Oops, you need a license for that, and we won't give you one. And it goes on, and on, and on.....

Bersa.380

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Of course, it would simplify life for the park rangers if California's gun laws weren't so contradictory, convoluted and complicated. You can open carry, but it can't be loaded. Open carry is okay here, but not there. Watch out, don't cross that invisible Gun Free School Zone line! Oh, you don't like to open carry? No problem, just carry concealed. Oops, you need a license for that, and we won't give you one. And it goes on, and on, and on.....

CA is a strange place indeed, but Ted says it well .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCHtw6WbbnM