Thread: After National Park gun carry reform: "Now it's a big sea of gun freedom"

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://gawker.com/5476863/americas-n...a-lot-shootier

Love America's beautiful national parks, but hate that you can't bring your gun into them? Starting Monday, you may bring firearms into national parks. Says the founder of opencarry.org: "Now it's a big sea of gun freedom." U-S-A! U-S-A!

Post imported post

The only thing I can say is...

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate :celebrate

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

Can anyone find the actual cite for this new law?
    I've looked but all I can find are news articles giving highlights of the new law.
    I know there are still some restrictions...all buildings, any area where park employees are present, etc.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    I've looked but all I can find are news articles giving highlights of the new law.
    I know there are still some restrictions...all buildings, any area where park employees are present, etc.
    The full text of the pertinent part of the new law can be found here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...t0%3Aenr%3A582

However, this law does not mention the Federal facility restriction, which is covered under "US Code Title 18 - Chapter 44 - ยง 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities." The NPS implementation of facility restrictions are based on what I view to be a flawed interpretation of Section 930, that, in order to be valid, would require the carrying of a firearm for self-defense to be an illegal act. I don't believe you will find any statute or case law to support that, however, that is the virtual hammer that the Feds are choosing to hold over our heads to keep firearms out of their facilities.

However, IANAL or a judge, so my opinion doesn't really mean much.

TFred

Post imported post

Thank you, it's a start. I'm sure there will be more than one test case come out of this during this first year.

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    Thank you, it's a start. I'm sure there will be more than one test case come out of this during this first year.
    That would certainly be interesting, but I honestly doubt there will be any at all. How many people are arrested and prosecuted for the sole infraction of carrying a firearm within 1000 feet of school property? Just as with the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act, which makes virtually every gun-carrying citizen a felon at one time or another, I suspect the "authorities" are well aware they will lose in court, but until they do actually lose, it's the virtual hammer that keeps the people in line.

Again, IANAL, my opinion means nothing, but there it is.

TFred

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    Here is the National Wildlife Refuge's Press release. It includes the restrictions you mentioned, but basically says that their are now no restrictions other than what you would face walking down main street in your hometown.

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases...4F45440EDB35CE

I like where it says, "The new law applies to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System." It looks like OC is now legal at any one of those locations where it is also legal in the state containing that location.

Post imported post

How 'bout a National Seashore. Lots of controversy lately over Federal jurisdiction on Hatteras Island, NC. Originally set up as a national recreation area for people, certain uses are now banned because of birds.

I think I can go fishing again now without leaving my gun in the cottage/hotel room.
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

The law does not allow visitors to fire or discharge the firearms in any way, brandish the weapon in the view of others, or any other use of the firearm. Enforcement of regulations concerning firearms use remains under the purview of the Department of the Interior.
    Huh? Ever hear of self-defense?

Excuse me Ms. Kauffman, but if a bear or wildcat tries to maul, eat, or drag my family off to its den for dinner, it'll be getting some heat from my lawfully carried firearm. I don't need your stinking approval to defend myself.

This law implies firearms can be used for lawful self defense. What do you think we had in mind, in park shooting ranges for fun?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

I work at the Point Loma Naval base in San Diego. On that base are the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery and the Cabrillo National Monument administered by the NPS.
    Anyone care to guess which regulations, concerning firearms, apply while on the Cabrillo National Monument? The U.S. Military, the NPS or the City of San Diego?

I see a lot of "issues" that need to be clarified.

Post imported post

All I have to add is this...

http://www.osec.doc.gov/osy/NPCSecur...section930.htm

Subsection D part 3 seems to say it all concerning buildings andsuch!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    All I have to add is this...

http://www.osec.doc.gov/osy/NPCSecur...section930.htm

Subsection D part 3 seems to say it all concerning buildings andsuch!
    Here's a more up-to-date version of that straight from the GPO. It still says the same thing.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/usc.cgi?ACTION=RETRIEVE&FILE=$$xa$$busc18.wais &start=1736700&SIZE=6681&TYPE=TEXT