• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After National Park gun carry reform: "Now it's a big sea of gun freedom"

protias

imported post

The only thing I can say is...

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

WARCHILD

imported post

Can anyone find the actual cite for this new law?
I've looked but all I can find are news articles giving highlights of the new law.
I know there are still some restrictions...all buildings, any area where park employees are present, etc.

TFred

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I've looked but all I can find are news articles giving highlights of the new law.
I know there are still some restrictions...all buildings, any area where park employees are present, etc.
The full text of the pertinent part of the new law can be found here:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-627&version=enr&nid=t0%3Aenr%3A582

However, this law does not mention the Federal facility restriction, which is covered under "US Code Title 18 - Chapter 44 - § 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities." The NPS implementation of facility restrictions are based on what I view to be a flawed interpretation of Section 930, that, in order to be valid, would require the carrying of a firearm for self-defense to be an illegal act. I don't believe you will find any statute or case law to support that, however, that is the virtual hammer that the Feds are choosing to hold over our heads to keep firearms out of their facilities.

However, IANAL or a judge, so my opinion doesn't really mean much.

TFred

TFred

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Thank you, it's a start. I'm sure there will be more than one test case come out of this during this first year.
That would certainly be interesting, but I honestly doubt there will be any at all. How many people are arrested and prosecuted for the sole infraction of carrying a firearm within 1000 feet of school property? Just as with the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act, which makes virtually every gun-carrying citizen a felon at one time or another, I suspect the "authorities" are well aware they will lose in court, but until they do actually lose, it's the virtual hammer that keeps the people in line.

Again, IANAL, my opinion means nothing, but there it is. :)

TFred

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Here is the National Wildlife Refuge's Press release. It includes the restrictions you mentioned, but basically says that their are now no restrictions other than what you would face walking down main street in your hometown.

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/showNews.cfm?newsId=E37DD72E-FB6C-9EBE-6B4F45440EDB35CE

I like where it says, "The new law applies to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System." It looks like OC is now legal at any one of those locations where it is also legal in the state containing that location.

riverrat10k

imported post

How 'bout a National Seashore. Lots of controversy lately over Federal jurisdiction on Hatteras Island, NC. Originally set up as a national recreation area for people, certain uses are now banned because of birds.

I think I can go fishing again now without leaving my gun in the cottage/hotel room.

Statesman

imported post

The law does not allow visitors to fire or discharge the firearms in any way, brandish the weapon in the view of others, or any other use of the firearm. Enforcement of regulations concerning firearms use remains under the purview of the Department of the Interior.
Huh? Ever hear of self-defense?

Excuse me Ms. Kauffman, but if a bear or wildcat tries to maul, eat, or drag my family off to its den for dinner, it'll be getting some heat from my lawfully carried firearm. I don't need your stinking approval to defend myself.

This law implies firearms can be used for lawful self defense. What do you think we had in mind, in park shooting ranges for fun?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I work at the Point Loma Naval base in San Diego. On that base are the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery and the Cabrillo National Monument administered by the NPS.
Anyone care to guess which regulations, concerning firearms, apply while on the Cabrillo National Monument? The U.S. Military, the NPS or the City of San Diego?

I see a lot of "issues" that need to be clarified.

Neo

Campaign Veteran