• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

for sale/wanted section???

scorpio_vette

imported post

ok i'm pretty sure that i'm not just overlooking it.

why isn't there a for sale, wanted and/or barter section on this forum???

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I very much agree ! a STATE CLASSIFIEDS sticky , that is similar to the state forums page..but for selling Guns & gun related stuff. could also have people donate a % of the sale price to OCDO, on the honor system.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I very much agree ! a STATE CLASSIFIEDS sticky , that is similar to the state forums page..but for selling Guns & gun related stuff.   could also have people donate a  % of the sale price to OCDO, on the honor system.

does that sales tax go up regularly like gas prices and cigarettes??? any donation/contribution to the forum/organization should be voluntary. i have never seen any other forum where the "for sale" section required a %. and i'm on probably close to 20+ forums.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
I very much agree ! a STATE CLASSIFIEDS sticky , that is similar to the state forums page..but for selling Guns & gun related stuff. could also have people donate a % of the sale price to OCDO, on the honor system.

does that sales tax go up regularly like gas prices and cigarettes??? any donation/contribution to the forum/organization should be voluntary. i have never seen any other forum where the "for sale" section required a %. and i'm on probably close to 20+ forums.
Voluntary of course. I am only talking like 3% - 5% of the sale price at most. Another way for the site owner to generate income for OCDO. Only an idea.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
Yeah, we need a stickied classifieds here.
Handguns only, .... right?
I would not limit it to just Handguns myself. a gun is a gun, Hand gun, Rifle, shot gun......they all go bang. why not let people sell what they have. Guns & Gun related items. ( holsters, magazines, ammo, parts, etc )

scorpio_vette

imported post

oh boy. you guys are already talking way to much and making this more complicate than it really is.

SIMPLE

option 1) a FORUM RELATED ONLY for sale/wanted/barter section. which means ONLY GUN RELATED. no cars, tv's, Barbie dolls and inflatable animals.

option 2) a ANYTHING for sale/wanted/barter section. here you can sell your inflatable animals to watch tv with.

option 3) 2 sections. one is for GUN RELATED ONLY, and the other is EVERYTHING ELSE.

no create a thread with those 3 options as a poll and let the people decide.

why do humans always have to think so damn much to the point of over complicating things??? i swear sometimes if people would just stop thinking, things would be so much simpler and make so much more sense.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
oh boy. you guys are already talking way to much and making this more complicate than it really is.

SIMPLE

option 1) a FORUM RELATED ONLY for sale/wanted/barter section. which means ONLY GUN RELATED. no cars, tv's, Barbie dolls and inflatable animals.

option 2) a ANYTHING for sale/wanted/barter section. here you can sell your inflatable animals to watch tv with.

option 3) 2 sections. one is for GUN RELATED ONLY, and the other is EVERYTHING ELSE.

why do humans always have to think so damn much to the point of over complicating things??? i swear sometimes if people would just stop thinking, things would be so much simpler and make so much more sense
i am guessing you did not have your coffee today ? :cool: you seem a bit grumpy.

scorpio_vette

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

SIMPLE

why do humans always have to think so damn much to the point of over complicating things??? i swear sometimes if people would just stop thinking, things would be so much simpler and make so much more sense
i am guessing you did not have your coffee today ? :cool:  you seem a bit grumpy.

not really grumpy. and i don't drink coffee. tastes gross.

i'm just a very very simple person. people get upset at me about how simple i keep things. but i just don't understand why people have to take something as simple as putting a round peg into a round hole and make it so complicated that it takes construction crews and engineers and scientists and politicians and astro physicists and that weird guy from the dumpster down the road to put the damn round peg into the damn round hole.

god damit........now you made me write a run-on sentence and i really don't feel like going back and fixing it now.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

rodbender

imported post

This has been discussed several times and the best I can remember, Mike nor John have ever even replied. So don't get your hopes up guys. They are busy enough as it is. Then to have to run a classified section along with it? Plenty of other sites do that.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
This has been discussed several times and the best I can remember, Mike nor John have ever even replied. So don't get your hopes up guys. They are busy enough as it is. Then to have to run a classified section along with it? Plenty of other sites do that.
It was worth a try.:)

scorpio_vette

imported post

it couldn't be a thread. it would have to be a section where each person could start a for sale/wanted/barter thread.

if they just made one long thread, could you imagine trying to sort back through 300pages to try and find that one piece that you saw a week ago and wondering if it sold yet or not.

TFred

imported post

There is usually a good sense of community here at OCDO, so I think it's only natural to occasionally think about buying, selling or trading goods here among the friendly.

However, there are several practical matters which do get in the way.

Handguns can only be transferred across state lines through a FFL. Even in-state transfers have all kinds of different rules, depending on which state. To be a respectable site that facilitates these sorts of things, one must monitor the messages to ensure that for the most part nobody is breaking any laws, and that would take time, which I strongly suspect that Mike and John would rather devote to OC issues.

Plus there are plenty of other sites that do have classifieds. Sure, we don't know those folks as well, but they are probably bigger, and offer more selection than you would probably find here anyway.

Here are a few:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14
http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/
http://thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22
http://thehighroad.us/forumdisplay.php?f=22

If you're in Virginia, or want to convince someone in Virginia to ship to your FFL:

http://vaguntrader.com/

There may be other state-specific sites, but I don't know them.

I am not currently looking to buy a gun, but in the past when I have been, I regularly visited all these sites. One thing I discovered was that most sellers knew about more than one of these sites, as there were often duplicate posts, and sometimes on all of them.

Good luck!

TFred