• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns in Bars and Restaurants

Gizmoe142

imported post

A couple of clarifications, perhaps someone and helps me with.

Is carrying a gun in a bar illegal in Idaho OC or CC?

If it is, is carrying a gun in a restaurant that has a bar section in it, or a bar with a restaurant section in it, illegal? (If you are in the restaurant section)

I am under the impression that it is legal, as long as you are not drinking with a concealed weapon on your person. Just eating or being there is legal, Just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance for all your interpretation and incite.

Jared

imported post

I have found no law against consuming while carrying. They may have one that says you can't be "intoxicated" or above the legal driving limit (like Utah).

I havent checked in a while, but I do know that it would be legal to carry and consume a drink.

Usually in states that do not specifically address this, they tend to go by general intoxication laws.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Jared wrote:
I have found no law against consuming while carrying. They may have one that says you can't be "intoxicated" or above the legal driving limit (like Utah).

I havent checked in a while, but I do know that it would be legal to carry and consume a drink.

Usually in states that do not specifically address this, they tend to go by general intoxication laws.

It would be a good idea to have a specific, carrying while under the influence law prohibiting carry (OC or CC). Say, anything .15 BAC or more.

With a threshold that high, hardly anyone could be against it.

Someone armed at .15 BAC (or higher) in public is .... an accident waiting to happen. Very similar to a driving under the influence situation...

Gizmoe142

imported post

HankT wrote:
It would be a good idea to have a specific, carrying while under the influence law prohibiting carry (OC or CC). Say, anything .15 BAC or more.

Someone armed at .15 BAC (or higher) in public is .... an accident waiting to happen. Very similar to a driving under the influence situation...
That might not be a bad idea or at least a more indepth definition.

So i guess my answer to this question is there is nothing in the Idaho law that says anything about carrying in bars whether drinking or not?

boom

imported post

My understanding is that you may carry legally anywhere but a k-12 school or federal building. (post office) I believe that if you are intoxicated and carrying it is grounds for having your concealed permit revoked. Some establishments may prohibit firearms but they can only ask you to leave for trespassing.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Bar carry is perfectly legal, open or concealed. The law prohibits you from being "intoxicated" while concealing, but is silent on drinking while OCing.

Since "intoxicated" is not defined clearly, this is going to be up to the discretion of the contacting officer... .08 just may not apply. You could end up arguing this one in court and I could see it going either way. Also think about the consequences of having to explain yourself if you ever had to use your weapon with a drink in your system.

I prefer not to drink at all while I OC, but I sometimes have a beer while concealed. Drinking with a visible gun on your hip doesn't give the right look IMO.

Bottom line, use your best judgment.

Ruger9mm

imported post

HankT wrote:
Jared wrote:

While I don't disagree with your logic I would argue that this would directly go against the 2nd amendment. Give government an inch and they consider it permission to trample on our rights.

Ruger9mm

imported post

I do agree with IndianaBoy79 though, drinking and carrying don't mix IMO so I don't frequent bars.