• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just drew on a "burglar"

lil_freak_66

imported post

so here i was,about a half hour ago actually.sleeping,as i usually to till 10am(it was just after 6)

so yeah there i was sleeping,and the dog barks and jumps off the bed,waking me up and causing a serious adrenaline rush.

i hear a noise at the door,it was getting pounded on very hard(it ended up cracking the s**t out of the frame)so i grab my 10/22 and chamber a round.and proceed toward the front door with the rifle shouldered but lowered,once i got to the front door i said dont move or your gonna get shot(at least,something similar,idr exactly).turned out it was my sisters father,he yelled it was him.he doesnt live here,hasnt for years,and is non custodial. and just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand and was just looking for a place to keep warm,i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outside waiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold.

so yeah,6am,dark,snowy,dark dressed "bad guy" and my rifle.

i cant get to sleep now....

Sorry if it sounds bad,it was originally written on little sleep and lots of adrenaline.

Last edited:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
so here i was,about a half hour ago actually.sleeping,as i usually to till 10am(it was just after 6)

so yeah there i was sleeping,and the dog barks and jumps off the bed,waking me up and causing a serious adrenaline rush.

i hear a noise at the door,so i grab my rifle and chamber a round.and proceed toward the frontdoor with the rifle shouldered,once i got to the front door i said dont move or your gonna get shot.turned out it was my sisters father,he yelled it was him.he doesnt live here and just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand and was just looking for a place to keep warm,i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold.

so yeah,6am,dark,snowy,dark dressed "bad guy" andmy rifle.

Sounds like you overreacted a bit. But, not too too bad.

What kind of rifle was it?

Do you own a handgun?

Rugerp345

imported post

i said dont move or your gonna get shot.

So you would've shot him if he moved? I hope you don't get many visitors to your house. I sure hate it for the Jehova witnesses in your neighborhood. LOL

It's just my opinion, but I would trade in the rifle for a handgun and answer the door like a rational person and decide if my visitor was a threat or a relative before capping them. If it is that bad in your area you might consider a camera focused on your front door so you can at least see who is knocking before you put three rounds thru the door. If it is the neighbors kid (asking for help) you will have to shoot lower.

compmanio365

imported post

Hmm, someone trying your door handle early-ish in the morning? I might be a bit uptight about that too. We don't know how we'd react until we were put in the same situation, but I'd probably come to the door with gun in hand as well. I can't fault you for handling the situation as you did....especially how he was dressed, and just got out of jail? Yeah.....this guy doesn't have a whole lot of brains, does he.....

lil_freak_66

imported post

HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

i hear a noise at the door,so i grab my rifle and chamber a round.and proceed toward the frontdoor with the rifle shouldered,once i got to the front door i said dont move or your gonna get shot.turned out it was my sisters father,he yelled it was him.he doesnt live here and just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand and was just looking for a place to keep warm,i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold.

Do you own a handgun?

i couldnt think of anything else to say,but i feel it was a decent thing to say considering it was a loud pounding on my door just after 6am,when we get visitors maybe once or twice a month at most,and thats during the afternoon

my ruger 10/22,it was the only thing that was out with an already loaded magazine.

it is a "michigan pistol"

and no i do not,under 21,and do not have the money to buy one from a private seller.

first time dealin with that,i couldnt get backto sleep until 9 because of the adrenaline.

Carnivore

imported post

You didn't just draw on a Burglar, you drew on an unknown / anunidentifeid target. Maybe a small sign on the door that reads (If you don't have a prescheduled appointment, you need to come back during normal business hours.) other than that Practice your probablescenarios to allow you to better identify visitors,and get a larger caliber firearm if you need to be shooting through an entrydoor on a regular basis.

PT111

imported post

I really don't see much that you did wrong. An "escaped" convict beating on your door at 6am, I would be a little excited also. As for me I prefer a shotgun instead of a rifle or pistol in those situations. The one thing I didn't catch was did you tell him not to move before or after you opened the door.

Rugerp345

imported post

"escaped convict" ???
"beating on the door"??

I read that he "heard a noise" at the door. Maybe I overlooked the "beating" description.
We must not have read the same post. It was his step-father, and he was released, not escaped.
Are you a politician by any chance? Or work for CNN? The way you doctor up the facts I think you have an excellent career in either field.

PT111

imported post

Rugerp345 wrote:
"escaped convict" ???
"beating on the door"??

I read that he "heard a noise" at the door. Maybe I overlooked the "beating" description.
We must not have read the same post. It was his step-father, and he was released, not escaped.
Are you a politician by any chance? Or work for CNN? The way you doctor up the facts I think you have an excellent career in either field.

couldnt think of anything else to say,but i feel it was a decent thing to say considering it was a loud pounding on my door just after 6am,when we get visitors maybe once or twice a month at most,and thats during the afternoon

Wouldn't Loud pounding on the door = beating on the door?
just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand

He said he just got out of jail and doesn't say he was released. I don't think that convicet are usually released from jail at 4am unless they have just posted bail. Usually when bail is posted it is at least arranged by someone other than the person in lockup so evidently whoever helped him get out of jail just turned him loose to fend for himself. Would you go get your best friend out of jail and then tell him to hit thr road on a cold snowy night leaving him on the doorsteps of his daughter? So the possibilities are:

1. He was just released on parole at 4am.

2. He made bail by himself.

3. He escaped.

4. Other?

In any case he "escaped" from being locked up either legally or illegally.
es·caped, es·cap·ing, es·capes

v.intr.
1. To break loose from confinement; get free: escape from jail.
2. To issue from confinement or an enclosure; leak or seep out: Gas was escaping from the vent.

scorpio_vette

imported post

what WE and the news media should always do in a situation like this is ASK QUESTIONS instead of ASSUMING. don't you know that when you assume something you make an ASS out of U and ME???

lil_freak_66 wrote:

i hear a noise at the door,so i grab my rifle and chamber a round.and proceed toward the front door with the rifle shouldered,once i got to the front door i said dont move or your gonna get shot.turned out it was my sisters father,he yelled it was him.he doesnt live here and just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand and was just looking for a place to keep warm,i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outside waiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold.

so yeah,6am,dark,snowy,dark dressed "bad guy" and my rifle.

1) this noise at the door??? can you describe it in better detail???

2) did the person identify himself BEFORE or AFTER you threatened to shoot???

3) what do you mean by ".......my sisters father,........just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand"??? do you mean released or escaped???

4) how was the relationship between you and her father??? why did he come to your house instead of somebody else's???

5) when you say "he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outside waiting for the others to wake up", do you mean he had been standing out there silently just waiting, or had he been ringing the doorbell or otherwise trying to make contact with no results???

but all data/facts aside, even i would grab my shotgun if i heard a noise at 6am. only 2 things happen at my doors at 6am. either nothing cuz we're still sleeping, or my wife is EXITING through them to go to work. but perhaps i'm just a bit jumpy after having been burglarized TWICE last year.

architect

imported post

PT111 wrote:
He said he just got out of jail and doesn't say he was released. I don't think that convicet are usually released from jail at 4am unless they have just posted bail.
Too many assumptions. There are many reasons why someone might be in jail but not a "convict." Perhaps he was picked up for DUI/DIP/etc. and taken to jail to sleep it off? If you don't give the cops/magistrate/jailers a hard time, you may get out early enough that you wont have to explain to your boss why you are coming in late. (At least they used to do that 20-30 years ago when I was still sowing oats.)

Not saying that's what happened, just that assumptions don't usually help with understanding the entire situation.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
HankT wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:

Do you own a handgun?

i couldnt think of anything else to say,but i feel it was a decent thing to say considering it was a loud pounding on my door just after 6am,when we get visitors maybe once or twice a month at most,and thats during the afternoon

my ruger 10/22,it was the only thing that was out with an already loaded magazine.

it is a "michigan pistol"

and no i do not,under 21,and do not have the money to buy one from a private seller.

first time dealin with that,i couldnt get backto sleep until 9 because of the adrenaline.

Doesn't sound like you were prepared all that well. Plus, you escalated the situation--needlessly.

This was a no-threat situation.

No need for a gun. No need to threaten to shoot anyone.

Things would have worked out slightly better if you had justslept through it...

lil_freak_66

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:

3) what do you mean by ".......my sisters father,........just got out of jail an hour or 2 beforehand"??? do you mean released or escaped???

4) how was the relationship between you and her father??? why did he come to your house instead of somebody else's???

5) when you say "he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up", do you mean he had been standing out there silently just waiting, or had he been ringing the doorbell or otherwise trying to make contact with no results???

but all data/facts aside, even i would grab my shotgun if i heard a noise at 6am. only 2 things happen at my doors at 6am. either nothing cuz we're still sleeping, or my wife is EXITING through them to go to work. but perhaps i'm just a bit jumpy after having been burglarized TWICE last year.

1.LOUD banging and indistinct yelling

2.after.

3.released at 5am supposedly.

4.he used to live here and half the time still tries claiming it as his legal address,though he hasnt lived here in at least 3 years.

5.silently.

i have been robbed twice in the last 3 years.

as for the other person mentioning a sign of sorts...

100_1757.jpg

does that count?

NRA,MOC-lawful carry welcome,no trespassing violators will be shot sign.

i lost half my normal sleep time today because of that adrenaline rush,and the what if's

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
scorpio_vette wrote:

5) when you say "he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up", do you mean he had been standing out there silently just waiting, or had he been ringing the doorbell or otherwise trying to make contact with no results???

1.LOUD banging and indistinct yelling

2.after.

3.released at 5am supposedly.

4.he used to live here and half the time still tries claiming it as his legal address,though he hasnt lived here in at least 3 years.

5.silently.

i have been robbed twice in the last 3 years.

as for the other person mentioning a sign of sorts...

100_1757.jpg

does that count?

NRA,MOC-lawful carry welcome,no trespassing violators will be shot sign.

i lost half my normal sleep time today because of that adrenaline rush,and the what if's
Strongly suggest that you remove the "survivors will be shot again" sign. A sleeping prosecutor could make a good case against you just from that one thing .

I had that exact sign many summers ago - my liability agent (a friends also) went ballistic when he saw it on my back door. Demanded it come down immediately - it did.

Yata hey

Kelly Ash

imported post

Dude, you did just fine. Nobody got hurt, or even close to it, and you kept yourself safe which is the most important thing. The "holier than thou" typesare responding to having all the info in hindsight while fully awake and trying to make you feel stupid. Besides,they werent in your shoes. Take their criticism with a grain of salt and learn from the hindsight perspective. At least there was somegood constructive criticism.My only suggestion, as someone else mentioned, is getsomething better than a .22 rifle for loaded and ready for home defense next time. Shotguns are agood choice and they're cheap.

And Im going with Grapeshots advice ont he sticker also. It looks cool but that little bit of "cool" could cost you big time should SHTF.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Kelly Ash wrote:
Dude, you did just fine. Nobody got hurt, or even close to it, and you kept yourself safe which is the most important thing. The "holier than thou" typesare responding to having all the info in hindsight while fully awake and trying to make you feel stupid. Besides,they werent in your shoes. Take their criticism with a grain of salt and learn from the hindsight perspective. At least there was somegood constructive criticism.My only suggestion, as someone else mentioned, is getsomething better than a .22 rifle for loaded and ready for home defense next time. Shotguns are agood choice and they're cheap.
Patently poor taste to suggest that we are trying to make him "feel stupid" or that anyone is "holier" than the next.

Monday morning quarterbacking is what occurs here - some refer to debriefing or AARA (after action review & assessment) - it is all the same.

OP told his story, responses were given back and forth - that is what a blog forum is and what we do - it is how we all learn, by sharing.

Don't see that anyone was offensive nor that he took offense.

Yata hey

Kelly Ash

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Kelly Ash wrote:
Patently poor taste to suggest that we are trying to make him "feel stupid" or that anyone is "holier" than the next.

Monday morning quarterbacking is what occurs here - some refer to debriefing or AARA (after action review & assessment) - it is all the same.

OP told his story, responses were given back and forth - that is what a blog forum is and what we do - it is how we all learn, by sharing.

Yata hey
I didnt see anything from you that could be construed as "holier than thou" so your "we" doesnt apply. HankT telling him he over-reacted and escalated a situation was not only incorrect, as the situation quickly de-escalated because of his actions, itwas "holier than thou", condescending, and "offensive" as you put it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Kelly Ash wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Kelly Ash wrote:

Yata hey
I didnt see anything from you that could be construed as "holier than thou" so I wasnt talking about you. HankT telling him he over-reacted and escalated a situation was not only incorrect, as the situation quickly de-escalated because of his actions, itwas "holier than thou", condescending, and offensive.
Many here simply ignore HankT's baiting - if you look deep enough though there is meat to be had there. He most often is asking provoking questions - not trying to just provoke. If you get to know Hank, he'll cause you to think - most just don't really listen. He lives in Joisey - give him a break. :p

That and you did use the plural -"types" and "they" - not really flaming you or picking on you. I mean that.

I had questions/thoughts too i.e. I would never even think about shooting through a door, sure wouldn't threaten it either. What if a LEO was the one doing the banging? And then there is the know your target thing.

If someone misspeaks, there is no benefit from striking back - answer from fact or opinion, but hopefully no personal references. We try to be polite and responsible here - just as we want everybody to be when OCing.

This site is widely read and there are those of us that wish it to be perceived in a positive light by that readership - which includes the press, politicians, fence-sitters and even the antis.

Anyhow - no damage - glad we talked.

Yata hey

gravedigger

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
i guess he'd been standing there for a good 10 minutes just standing there outsidewaiting for the others to wake up for the morning,but had just gotten too cold."
That is a good dog. it didn't bark until it felt that the outsider was a direct threat to you. I don't like dogs that bark every time a kid rides by on a bicycle.