• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: FNP 45?

killchain

imported post

I'm looking for an FNP 45, preferably somewhere on the eastern side of the mountains and new, but a well-loved used one would suffice as well... and I guess I can drive over there if I have to.

Anyone got the lowdown on where I could find one?

blackjacket2000

imported post

I'm on the west side but I haven't seen one in any shops for long time. I'd try online. Gunbrokers.com is good. Or anyother good online store should have one. Pay for it online and they deliver to the gun shop u choose.

1245A Defender

imported post

killchain wrote:
Consider this closed. I found one. :)
tell us about it! ive been studying 45s , and thinking seriously about buying a fnp 45 usg, or taurus oss 45.
im liking the usg because you can load it and unload it with the safety on, and you dont have to dry fire it to strip it down. but they do cost about 100$ more than the taurus!

1245A Defender

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
is dry fire bad on semi's or revolvers?
most older guns said dry fire might break the firing pin, and was dicouraged.
new guns generally say its AOK,,
i have heard reports of folks neglecting to check the pipe before dry firing for take apart,
and in the vidio of the factory guy demonstrating the take down,
his palm was covering the muzzle as he dry fired, and i winced seeing that!

killchain

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
killchain wrote:
Consider this closed. I found one. :)
tell us about it! ive been studying 45s , and thinking seriously about buying a fnp 45 usg, or taurus oss 45.
im liking the usg because you can load it and unload it with the safety on, and you dont have to dry fire it to strip it down. but they do cost about 100$ more than the taurus!
Well, for one it's huge, something like 7.5in long with a 6 inch grip. It's slanted similar to the 1911 style. Loaded it weighs around 3lbs. Has real nice checkering on the grip, and the backstrap can be changed out to fit your hand.

Second is that it's the only other .45 I could find with an external hammer. It's a DA/SA, runs kind of similar to a 1911. However, it doesn't have a safety; it has a decocking lever so you can carry it in DA.

One main attraction to me was the fact that the magazine holds 14 rounds. 14+1 in .45ACP is no joke, that's a crew served handgun. FN also includes three magazines with it in the box, so you could literally buy one and go right to an IPSC match.

The sights are C-More red dots, I'm sure you can find trijicons for it... that will come later. At the moment though the gun came right out of the box shooting like a sighted match gun. Dead on with the aim.

Here's a picture so you can get a gander. I think it looks vaguely like a Sig and HK love child.

EDIT: The barrel was measured by my measuring tape as just a fraction under 5in.

EDIT: Has FULL ambidextrous controls. None of that "you switch it to what you like" crap, the mag release can be pushed either way and the mag will drop. Same with the slide lock and the decocker.

EDIT: Breaks down just like a Sig P250. Comes apart like one too, real smooth and no crazy spring trying to jump away from you.

1245A Defender

imported post

thanks for the update! thought the barrel was 5 1/2"
anyhoooo the USG version allows the decocker to be flipped to the up position for a safety,, either cocked and locked or hammer down,, and you can rack the slide with the safety on,,, that guns got everything i want!:cool: