• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC allowed in Aurora?

blitzergixxer

imported post

Hello! I recent got stationed at Buckley AFB and am the owner of a XDM 9mm 3.8 inch and was curious as to what the regulations were or rather are to OC in Aurora and the surrounding areas. I do plan on applying for CC as well. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. TY.

Pace

imported post

I think this question is answered numerous times where yuo can OC and not OC in colorado. Unless Aurora is part of Denver City/County, you ok. I'd call the local police departmetn also.

cscitney87

imported post

Thanks Pace. Use our forum's search features- please, OP.

And Welcome! Glad to have you. :D Colorado rocks- if you're from out of state- you are in for a treat! :cool:

Diocoles

imported post

OC and CC (with permit)is allowed in Aurora/Arapahoe County/Colorado unless posted otherwise.

Gov't bldgs of course if they have metal detectors/armed guards are off limits to both.

Captain Bryce Moomaw is head of Arapahoe county CCW. Nice guy and can answer any questions.

http://www.co.arapahoe.co.us/departments/SH/index.asp

You can CC in Denver/Denver County. No OC.

Breckenridge has it's own rules as well.

Nice to have you here, hope you enjoy our state and Aurora's hospitality.

cscitney87

imported post

Diocoles wrote:
OC and CC (with permit)is allowed in Aurora/Arapahoe County/Colorado unless posted otherwise.

Gov't bldgs of course if they have metal detectors/armed guards are off limits to both.

Captain Bryce Moomaw is head of Arapahoe county CCW. Nice guy and can answer any questions.

http://www.co.arapahoe.co.us/departments/SH/index.asp

You can CC in Denver/Denver County. No OC.

Breckenridge has it's own rules as well.

Nice to have you here, hope you enjoy our state and Aurora's hospitality.
These are the links that you provided (in another post) when questioning Breck's right to ban OC

"State law pre-empts local ordinances with the "stupid" exception of Denver and Breckinridge.

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/

Here is the direct link to the state statutes:

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/relatedstats.asp

You'll find every thing you need there."

Now for the record from our friend Centsi in another post:

Breckenridge's regulation 6-3E-5 (http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/documents/towncode/06-03E.TXT.pdf) was obviously written before the new State CC laws when we had the alcohol caveat. It is also unenforceable as per CRS 29-11.7-103. The Town can prohibit OC only in accordance with CRS 29-11.7-104, i.e. at every public entrance on town property only.

You can OC anywhere except Denver City/County unless posted by signage, etc etc

btw these are all the posts in our forum with the word "Breckenridge" in it

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16035&forum_id=13&highlight=Breckenridge
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16035&forum_id=13&highlight=Breckenridge
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=20334&forum_id=13&highlight=Breckenridge
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=26614&forum_id=13&highlight=Breckenridge
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=34336&forum_id=13&highlight=Breckenridge
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=711&forum_id=13&highlight=Breckenridge

cscitney87

imported post

Also- From Mike (Super Moderator)

"Thanks - luckily the CO SC decision was 3-3, merely affirming the Denver ordiance. The other cities' ordiances were not affirmed, and with the new SC justice, they are not likley to be affirmed, but struck down 4-3, thus quashing Denver's OC ban as well."

blitzergixxer

imported post

Thank you for the information. I did not realize there was a search feature here, ty for cluing me in. I also went ahead and called Aurora PD and spoke with them. The woman on the other end stated that you can open carry, but to expect ALOT of people to call the Police Department and to expect to deal with many LEOs who respond to such calls. She suggested I continue with the CC permit process before I attempt OC. After reading several posts on here and doing searches for CO gun laws, I am perplexed why she would suggest that. My gun is registered to me and OC is legal. What gives?

entartet17

imported post

blitzergixxer wrote:
I also went ahead and called Aurora PD and spoke with them. The woman on the other end stated that you can open carry, but to expect ALOT of people to call the Police Department and to expect to deal with many LEOs who respond to such calls. She suggested I continue with the CC permit process before I attempt OC. After reading several posts on here and doing searches for CO gun laws, I am perplexed why she would suggest that. My gun is registered to me and OC is legal. What gives?
Dont bother talking to APD. I live in Aurora and OC all the time without incident. As has been confirmed by multiple people on this forum, APD actively discourages OC for no reason other than they dont like people to do it. The person you spoke with was just trying to scare you. I've never had the police called on me and if it ever did happen OC is legal and they have no grounds to detain you.

Pace

imported post

Wow, i spoke to several departments in the area, they were all the opposite, that they are are aware of the laws, that they are supporters of the law and probably nothing will happen. Weird. One department said they basically ignore MWAG calls unless there is something else (ie, MWAG walking around the outside of bank for the last 15 minutes)

entartet17 wrote:
blitzergixxer wrote:
I also went ahead and called Aurora PD and spoke with them. The woman on the other end stated that you can open carry, but to expect ALOT of people to call the Police Department and to expect to deal with many LEOs who respond to such calls. She suggested I continue with the CC permit process before I attempt OC. After reading several posts on here and doing searches for CO gun laws, I am perplexed why she would suggest that. My gun is registered to me and OC is legal. What gives?
Dont bother talking to APD. I live in Aurora and OC all the time without incident. As has been confirmed by multiple people on this forum, APD actively discourages OC for no reason other than they dont like people to do it. The person you spoke with was just trying to scare you. I've never had the police called on me and if it ever did happen OC is legal and they have no grounds to detain you.

bomber

imported post

Pace wrote:
I'd call the local police departmetn also.

i wouldn't. its not like you are going to get a correct answer out of them.

DocNTexas

imported post

blitzergixxer wrote:
Hello! I recent got stationed at Buckley AFB and am the owner of a XDM 9mm 3.8 inch and was curious as to what the regulations were or rather are to OC in Aurora and the surrounding areas. I do plan on applying for CC as well. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. TY.

At the moment, Aurora does not have an ordinance against open carry and I have done so there on several occasions over the years without incident. Just be aware of where the boundaries are. If you stray into Denver County/City or Golden, you are in trouble. In addition to Denver and Golden' clear ordinances against OC, Boulder also has an ordinance that requires firearms carried in public (off private property) to be in a "case", whicheffectively serves to prohibitopen carry. Outside the Denver area, Telluride and Vailhaveno OC ordinance.

Doc

blitzergixxer

imported post

Thank you much for the advice. I have also seen a few threads about The Firing Line and that many people have took their business elsewhere. I purchased my gun from them. Is there a particular reason for staying away from The Firing Line?

entartet17

imported post

blitzergixxer wrote:
Thank you much for the advice. I have also seen a few threads about The Firing Line and that many people have took their business elsewhere. I purchased my gun from them. Is there a particular reason for staying away from The Firing Line?
The reason I dont like Firing Line is that their staff is anti-OC. I still go there quite often because it's so close to where I live. Their prices can be a little higher than other places but not on everything. I've gotten great deals there. Their range used to be pretty bad but it's a lot nicer now.

Pace

imported post

Do you know this for a fact, or just repeating what other people say.

entartet17 wrote:
blitzergixxer wrote:
The reason I dont like Firing Line is that their staff is anti-OC. I still go there quite often because it's so close to where I live. Their prices can be a little higher than other places but not on everything. I've gotten great deals there. Their range used to be pretty bad but it's a lot nicer now.

entartet17

imported post

Pace wrote:
Of course I know it for a fact. I go there frequently. Richard tells people that if you OC you'll be arrested on the spot and how you really need to get a CCW.

The fact that they benefit financially by telling people to only CC is just a coincidence </sarcasm>

repojoker

imported post

I personally did not find the staff very friendly at Firing Line so i no longer visit. I prefer G&G and highly recommend them. They all walk around OC and Warren the owner does not have anything against OC or loadedfirearms inside, as long as you don't unholster.

Anubis

imported post

Pace wrote:
I have been to the Firing Line and I say it too. The first clue is the "no loaded guns sign" on the front door.

I used to shoot there regularly, but now shoot outside exclusively.

64Postcar

imported post

repojoker wrote:
I personally did not find the staff very friendly at Firing Line so i no longer visit.

X2! And, I found their prices to be on the high side along with a take-it-or leave-it attitude. I also witnessed customers shooting "gangsta style," which I really didn't care for.

We drive 45 minutes to Green Mountain and am much happier with the staff and clientele in general.

cscitney87

imported post

64Postcar wrote:
repojoker wrote:
I personally did not find the staff very friendly at Firing Line so i no longer visit.

X2! And, I found their prices to be on the high side along with a take-it-or leave-it attitude. I also witnessed customers shooting "gangsta style," which I really didn't care for.

We drive 45 minutes to Green Mountain and am much happier with the staff and clientele in general.
I use Green Mountain weekly and I agree the staff is very friendly and the fellow customers are respectful. Green Mountain also has a special range spot specifically for "shooting from the hip" where they allow you to quick draw your pistol and fire a few off. It's very very useful to me. Oh and you can OC all day all night. I usually do not OC because the ammunition has to be inspected first- so I prefer to just bring it in the case. They have no problem with OC and like I said you can OC it holstered right to your range I like that.