• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning to OC..what should I be aware of to avoid inadvertantly getting into trouble?

gleach

imported post

I am a relatively new gun-owner and have been CCing regularly (I obtained my permit prior to even purchasing my gun). I heard about National Gun Control Protest Day today and, while I won't be headed to Concord to partake in any organized demonstration, I was thinking it would be great if even 1 or 2% of the population just exercised their rights at the same time ..open carrying all over the state. That would seemingly be enough for nearly everyone to take notice..not just the clowns in the State House.

I've not open carried yet (primarily because I haven't felt comfortable enough to do so yet), but would like to start. I've realized one of the primary reasons I've been uncomfortable is that I don't truly know where I am restricted and permitted. Are there specific places that I risk arrest simply for carrying? It seems clear that on all private property we are free to carry until/unless the owner has asked us not to. But are there any statutory restrictions beyond that? Can I be carrying in a bank? Town/City offices? When I stop to buy ammo/accessories/etc from the local gun shop (I noticed at one of my local gun shops there is a sign that clearly states "NO LOADED FIREARMS AT ANY TIME" ..is that law, or his rule?)?

Jay

imported post

gleach wrote:
I am a relatively new gun-owner and have been CCing regularly (I obtained my permit prior to even purchasing my gun). I heard about National Gun Control Protest Day today and, while I won't be headed to Concord to partake in any organized demonstration, I was thinking it would be great if even 1 or 2% of the population just exercised their rights at the same time ..open carrying all over the state. That would seemingly be enough for nearly everyone to take notice..not just the clowns in the State House.

I've not open carried yet (primarily because I haven't felt comfortable enough to do so yet), but would like to start. I've realized one of the primary reasons I've been uncomfortable is that I don't truly know where I am restricted and permitted. Are there specific places that I risk arrest simply for carrying? It seems clear that on all private property we are free to carry until/unless the owner has asked us not to. But are there any statutory restrictions beyond that? Can I be carrying in a bank? Town/City offices? When I stop to buy ammo/accessories/etc from the local gun shop (I noticed at one of my local gun shops there is a sign that clearly states "NO LOADED FIREARMS AT ANY TIME" ..is that law, or his rule?)?
Hello I myself recently moved here from Connecticut I am sure that some of the people on this board will agree that in the beginning I was a little brain washed on what you can and can not do (I lived in Connecticut all my life). However since living in this great state I have relaxed my ways. I OC everywhere I go there are no laws in this state of places you can not go except court houses. Federal laws says stay away from schools and post offices. Do not carry into court houses, and state buildings as of now do not permit guns it is not against the law, but you can be arrested for trespassing if you do not leave if asked to. Any establishment or business can forbid firearms look on their doors when you enter if a manager asks you to leave cause they do not want firearms in there establishment then you should leave because if not you could be arrested for trespassing. Again I carry openly everywhere, and have never had any problems a few nice conversations but that is it. Have Fun!!!

gleach

imported post

Thanks. I've ventured out a few times open carrying and have been pleasantly surprised by the lack of notice. I've gone out to the grocery store (Nashua Hannaford), The Home Depot, Starbucks, Walmart, a few convenience stores, etc. over the past week, and not a single comment from anybody. Live Free or Die NH.

doobie

imported post

Never had a problem myself, except when I just go and spend an hour or two walking around a town.... If I just go to stores and such I never have a problem. Every now and then have a happy conversation with someone.... no anti will likely come up to you to talk to you/yell at you. They'll complain to a store manager or 911.

The only places you are screwed for carrying a gun is: post office (in theory), schools (k-12), court houses (I think this is a complete list).

Everywhere else (at least on private property) you have the benefit of being asked to leave and if you don't you can be arrested for trespassing.

Public property they can ask you to leave, but if there isn't a law against it they really can't legally do anything other than harass you, and threaten you. I guess they could arrest you for trespassing, but it would be hard to get that to stick.... IMHO.

gleach

imported post

Not that I intend to, but I think even our schools (K-12) are safe to carry. The only laws I am aware of against it are federal and contain exemptions for "properly licensed." No?

doobie

imported post

gleach wrote:
Not that I intend to, but I think even our schools (K-12) are safe to carry. The only laws I am aware of against it are federal and contain exemptions for "properly licensed." No?
Sure, if you want to be a test-case. The federal law requires licenses to be issued by law-enforcement. NH allows selectman to issue licenses.... It isn't clear if our licenses allow us to carry or not. No one has been a test-case yet.......

gleach

imported post

My license was issued by the chief of police of my town. ..not sure I wish to be a test case for anything (hence my not planning to carry, concealed or openly, to a school any time soon).

Your response is precisely what I was hoping for with my question - I'm not trying to be argumentative. I do wish not to be caught up with legal issues, and keeping clear of schools is well-advised, even if not necessarily legally-required.

Thanks.

doobie

imported post

gleach wrote:
My license was issued by the chief of police of my town. ..not sure I wish to be a test case for anything (hence my not planning to carry, concealed or openly, to a school any time soon).

Your response is precisely what I was hoping for with my question - I'm not trying to be argumentative. I do wish not to be caught up with legal issues, and keeping clear of schools is well-advised, even if not necessarily legally-required.

Thanks.
It's the same for post-offices....well first post officers are private...so how does federal law cover them? And second I believe the law states you can carry for hunting and other lawful purposes on post office property...

Then again maybe the private post office leases federal buildings and that's how it falls under the federal regulation?