• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma State Rep. David Derby on his bill to legalize open carry in Oklahoma

sml

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Actually, you DO have the right to yell "fire."
Do you really not know that?

Depend on "elected officials" to determine what's best?
LOL, you just convinced me of how much you've yet to learn.

Hope you do, unlike most here.
Okay, excuse me, I misspoke. You do have the right to yell fire, if there actually is a fire, but FALSLY yelling fire in a theater is not protected speech, Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919), which was further narrowed by Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969) holding that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless it is directed to inciting and likely to incite imminent lawless action, i.e. causing riots. At least that's how I interpret it.

It's always been my understanding that if you don't like the way a lawmaker is doing his job, elect someone else next time. I don't trust politicians any further than I can throw them, I mentioned elected officials only because I do not expect this to be something that goes to a state-wide election, it will either pass or fail with our lawmakers. I, for one, hope that it does pass. Should it pass and if it contains the requirement that I receive a permit before I can carry openly, I am confident that I would qualify for same.

Thanks to Oklahoma's Make my Dayand Stand Your Ground laws, there is nothing reventing you from keeping and bearing arms in your own home, or on your own property. I just don't see what the fuss is all about with requiring permits, unless you have a reason to think you wouldn't otherwise qualify. To also respond to Brass Magnet, there is nothing in the OklahomaStatutes that require you to have a permit to BUY a gun, provided you are not otherwise disqualified to do so.

now, it's not only felons that do not qualify for conceal carry permits in Oklahoma, it also includes anyone under the age of 21; persons who are not United States citizens; anyone who has been adjudicated as incompetent; anyone undergoing treatment for mental illness, or having attempted suicide within the last 10 yrs; anyone convicted of the following misdemeanors: assault and battery, stalking, violation of protection order, any conviction relating to drug use or possession of drugs or domestic abuse. How do you propose to stop people falling into those groups from openly carrying? Is it right for the public to demand that those persons not be allowed to carry openly?

You guys are not looking at the big picture here, relish the small victories first, then push for the bigger ones. Push to get the open carry with a permit first (if necessary), then push to remove the permit. I was absolutely shocked 15 yrs ago when this state allowed us to start carrying a concealed weapon in public (as long as they knew who you were via permits), now we're allowed to carry them into state parks. Hopefully, God willing, we'll soonbe allowed to carry openly. With or without a permit will be up to the lawmakers. I, for one, will be happyto jump through whatever hoops the state requires in order to legally carry my weapon in public, whether that be openly or concealed.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sml wrote:

Okay, excuse me, I misspoke. You do have the right to yell fire, if there actually is a fire, but FALSLY yelling fire in a theater is not protected speech, Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919), which was further narrowed by Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 U.S. 444 (1969) holding that government cannot punish inflammatory speech unless it is directed to inciting and likely to incite imminent lawless action, i.e. causing riots. At least that's how I interpret it.

The larger point was that you aren't subject to prior restraint to exercise free speech; one of your rights.

It's always been my understanding that if you don't like the way a lawmaker is doing his job, elect someone else next time. I don't trust politicians any further than I can throw them, I mentioned elected officials only because I do not expect this to be something that goes to a state-wide election, it will either pass or fail with our lawmakers. I, for one, hope that it does pass. Should it pass and if it contains the requirement that I receive a permit before I can carry openly, I am confident that I would qualify for same.

But what about those who don't qualify for the permit? Someone who smoked pot once 10 years ago or something? Do we have the right to tell them they can't protect their life and the life of their loved ones?

As far as elected officails; most of us at OCDO are quite politically active, trying to get the laws changed. If that doesn't work, we go through the courts.

Thanks to Oklahoma's Make my Dayand Stand Your Ground laws, there is nothing reventing you from keeping and bearing arms in your own home, or on your own property. I just don't see what the fuss is all about with requiring permits, unless you have a reason to think you wouldn't otherwise qualify. To also respond to Brass Magnet, there is nothing in the OklahomaStatutes that require you to have a permit to BUY a gun, provided you are not otherwise disqualified to do so.

Whether a permit is required (making it a privilege) or not. My greater point was addressing your previous post where you endorsed a permit system.

now, it's not only felons that do not qualify for conceal carry permits in Oklahoma, it also includes anyone under the age of 21; persons who are not United States citizens; anyone who has been adjudicated as incompetent; anyone undergoing treatment for mental illness, or having attempted suicide within the last 10 yrs; anyone convicted of the following misdemeanors: assault and battery, stalking, violation of protection order, any conviction relating to drug use or possession of drugs or domestic abuse. How do you propose to stop people falling into those groups from openly carrying? Is it right for the public to demand that those persons not be allowed to carry openly?

Why should someone have to wait for 21 to defend themselves? Why not 18? Why should the right be limited to U.S. citizens? Who says who's incompetent? What qualifies as a mental illness? What are the circumstances to the rest of the scenarios you wrote?

You've outlined perfectly whats wrong with the permit system. We shouldn't have to ask the states permission. If people get their gun rights disabled through specific due process, no problem, but if there is prior restraint, big problem.

You guys are not looking at the big picture here, relish the small victories first, then push for the bigger ones. Push to get the open carry with a permit first (if necessary), then push to remove the permit. I was absolutely shocked 15 yrs ago when this state allowed us to start carrying a concealed weapon in public (as long as they knew who you were via permits), now we're allowed to carry them into state parks. Hopefully, God willing, we'll soonbe allowed to carry openly. With or without a permit will be up to the lawmakers. I, for one, will be happyto jump through whatever hoops the state requires in order to legally carry my weapon in public, whether that be openly or concealed.

Would you allow your nail clippings to be put on file along with your fingerprints and full background? Would you tell them the serial number of every single firearm you own? Would you describe your past relationships to them? Would you allow them to implant an IF transmitter? Just how far would you go to beg the state to grant you that privilege?
We are looking at the big picture. Some of us disagree about how to get there in the end but we all want freedom to one extent or another. It has in fact worked in some places to start with stricter laws and get them slowly less strict. But changing the laws takes years, years that some people pay for with their lives. So others believe it's better to try to get it all ASAP.

The big picture as I see it, is to allow all the LAC (Law abiding citizens) to defend themselves without having to jump through hoops. The hoops that we don't have to jump through with our other rights.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sml wrote:

Look at all the other states that allow open carry without a permit. Do you hear of open carriers shooting people? Here in Arizona, thousands of people open carry. Never have I heard of even one person (muchless a number that would be statistically meaningful) accidentally shooting someone else. Doesn't that tell you something? Do you really think citizens of Oklahoma are less trustworthy or less intelligent than citizens of Arizona?

sml

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
sml wrote:

But what about those who don't qualify for the permit? Someone who smoked pot once 10 years ago or something? Do we have the right to tell them they can't protect their life and the life of their loved ones?

Yes, the requirements Oklahoma imposes on individuals seeking permits need to be loosened, I'm not denying that. Felon laws in general need to be changed.As I said previously, if my daughter ever has any reason to be questioned by police while she is in my companyor that of my husband and we have our weapon with us, she'll go to jail for violation of her probation. As her probation officer puts it, theoretically she could "overpower me and take control of my gun"-- I'd like to see her try to overpower her daddy....LOL

As far as elected officails; most of us at OCDO are quite politically active, trying to get the laws changed. If that doesn't work, we go through the courts.

And BRAVO to you and groups like yours. Without you guys we'd never be allowed to carry guns in the first place. I would become involved locally if I didn't already have my hands full with an unemployed husband, an adult daughter who was forced to move back home with her 3yr old and another baby due next month.

This information was taken, not necessarily verbatim, from the SDA Handbook, http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2009.pdfand no, I don't agree with all of it, but I also don't see the harm in some of it.

Why should someone have to wait for 21 to defend themselves? Why not 18? Yes, you ought to be able to protect yourself and your loved ones at the age of 18, if you can fight and die for this country at 18, you damn sure ought to be able to drink a beer in a bar or legally own and carry a firearm.

Why should the right be limited to U.S. citizens? Why shouldn't that right be limited to US citizens? If you are not of this country but are here legally, then yes, by all means, enjoy the rights and privileges of Americans, but if you're here illegally, then you are a criminal, plain and simple.

Who says who's incompetent? What qualifies as a mental illness? Both these questions would be up to a court to decide, obviously it would include people under guardianships since they have already been declared incompetent, but mental illness.

What are the circumstances to the rest of the scenarios you wrote?
The other scenarios should at least have time limits on it. If you haven't been in trouble for XX number of years, then your rights to carry a firearm are restored. Another scenario that I didn't outline above is anyone with a VPO against them are prohibited from lawfully carryinga concealed weapon, so long as the VPO is in effect. When that VPO expires, your rights to lawfully carry concealed are restored.

You've outlined perfectly whats wrong with the permit system. We shouldn't have to ask the states permission. If people get their gun rights disabled through specific due process, no problem, but if there is prior restraint, big problem.

I never said the system was perfect, it has huge gaping flaws in it and I'm not smart enough to have an answer to each and every scenario. I'm simply stating my opinion as a law abiding citizen, taxpayer, wife, mother and grandmother, looking only to keep her family safe to the extent that I am able and I just don't see how I can do that if everybody with mental instability issues orwithviolent criminal histories are able to openly carry a firearm wherever they choose.

Would you allow your nail clippings to be put on file along with your fingerprints and full background? Any person convicted of a felony in Oklahoma (I don't know about other states in the US) is required to have their DNA on file. If the State wants my DNA, they only have to go as far as my doctor's office. The State and the Feds already have my finger prints, first time was for my conceal carry permit, along with a background search, second time was when my husband adopted my daughter, he had to submit to fingerprinting again along with two separate extensive background searches, and the last time I renewed my driver's license, I had to give my thumb print, which is now on the back of my license. Any informationthe government wants to know about you, they already know......it's really scarey how much information the US Attorney's office and the federal probation office put in a pre-sentence investigation report---my office does some federal criminal defense work

Would you tell them the serial number of every single firearm you own? I thought they already had that through the gun store where you purchased the weapon, and after all the hell and sand I had to go through to get the serial number of the 40 cal Baretta that was stolen out of my car last year, all the serial numbers of the guns we own are posted on the inside of my gun safe, my palm pilot, and my computer.

Would you describe your past relationships to them? Would you allow them to implant an IF transmitter? Just how far would you go to beg the state to grant you that privilege? This is where you get into the realm of violation of civil rights. There are enough civil rights groups out there that this theory wouldn't even get a foothold. I know many people have a bad opinion of the ACLU, but they would be leading the movement against it.
We are looking at the big picture. Some of us disagree about how to get there in the end but we all want freedom to one extent or another. It has in fact worked in some places to start with stricter laws and get them slowly less strict. But changing the laws takes years, years that some people pay for with their lives. So others believe it's better to try to get it all ASAP.

The big picture as I see it, is to allow all the LAC (Law abiding citizens) to defend themselves without having to jump through hoops. The hoops that we don't have to jump through with our other rights.

I agree with you, butyou have contridicted youself right here. Allowing all LACs to defend themselves withoutjumping through hoops isperfect, wonderful, would be utopia if it worked, but who is a LAC?Someone without any black marks on their record? Or can some black marks exist, just not SOME black marks? Who gets to decide which black marks can exist and still be considered LAC? This is exactly why I think some controls need to be in place.

sml

imported post

Notso wrote:

Look at all the other states that allow open carry without a permit. Do you hear of open carriers shooting people? Here in Arizona, thousands of people open carry. Never have I heard of even one person (muchless a number that would be statistically meaningful) accidentally shooting someone else. Doesn't that tell you something? Do you really think citizens of Oklahoma are less trustworthy or less intelligent than citizens of Arizona?

No, actually, I haven't heard of any news stories, but then, you don't hear of our nightly shootings/robberies either. Unless an F-5 tornado cuts a mile and a half wide swath through the middle of a residential neighborhood, there is very little news coming out of Oklahoma that is worthy of national attention.

I'm not able to do much out of state traveling. The last time I drove through AZ was 2004 and I believe you had open carry back then. Any of the times we stopped to get gas or at a restaurant, I never noticed anyone openly carrying a weapon. Frankly, the fact that your state had open carry never occured to me.

And don't get me started on the intelligence (or lack thereof) of some Okies I know......LOL Let's just say, if breathing wasn't reflex, some of the people I deal with would be in trouble. But all kidding aside, I'm not suggesting the majority of those choosing to openly carry would be a problem. I'm concerned about that 1% or so that think they're Mr. Billy Bad-ass because they can walk down main street with a pair of six-shooters slung on his hips. You know, the kind of person that has no business breeding, much less handling a firearm. I know within reason that alot of the fears and concerns I have about not having any checks and balances for open carry come directly from my job. I have too much contact with thugs and criminals.

If it works for AZ and NM and any other open carry state, hopefully it will work for OK

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Open carry has been legal in Arizona since it's inception, 1915 I believe - it's very clear in the state constitution.

We have our nightly shootings and crime here also, lots of gang activity. But I can guarantee you if any of it had to do with normal law abiding citizens open carrying, we have plenty of anti-gun organizations that would make a big deal out of it and you would hear of it, especially considering the recent Starbucks/Brach bunch activity.

Bullbuster

imported post

Below is a link to the Travelers guide to firearms of the 50 states. If you have never seen it or had one its a must have.I have gotten one every year for the last 4 years. It tells you nearly everything you need to know about traveling through the states with your firearm. I have made coast to coast and border to border trips many times and its been helpful. You would be amazed at how laxed some states are to travelers compared to Oklahoma laws.

http://www.gunlawguide.com/

ocholik

imported post

If we do get the OC ..i think that there should be some sort of training needed....you should need a ccw to open carry..or else everyone who is not trained would carry... I am not against OC but...I know some people who shouldn't......

SEMPER FI...

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ocholik wrote:
If we do get the OC ..i think that there should be some sort of training needed....you should need a ccw to open carry..or else everyone who is not trained would carry... I am not against OC but...I know some people who shouldn't......

SEMPER FI...
As I've said before, here in AZ we have unlicensed open carry. There has never been a problem. There has never been a problem in any of the unlicensed open carry states or there would have been efforts to change it. You won't have a problem in OK with unlicensed open carry either. "shall not be infringed" is pretty clear.

ocholik

imported post

Even thou we have a lot of "people" who pretend to be gangsters......they will act big and bad just because they open carry...

okboomer

imported post

I agree that there needs to be some way that someone who only wants to OC could be verified as an LAC ... the old man and I have discussed this over the past couple of years and one way that I thought that might work and not cost the OCer would be for them to have the local sheriff run an NCIS background check, then provide a form that could be presented when renewing their DL at the Tag Agency. I would also think thatthe 8 hour concealedcarry licensing class would be a good requirement for the first endorsement, then each renewal have a certified range proficiency (our DL renews on a 4 year cycle.)This could be noted on the DL as an endorsement.

My desire would be for Oklahoma to also keepthe CCL ... and that one I have no problem with the process as it is today ... nationwide deep background check, county and police background check, fingerprinting, concealed carry licensing class and shooting proficiency ... if you are going to conceal a weapon, I believe you should demonstrate to the state and the people that you are trustworthy and proficient enough to do so.

The reason I would like to see the state keep the CCL as it is, is that I have seen several good points brought up concerning situations where OC is not easily achieved, i.e. winter time with a heavy overcoat, business attire, and then again, I would like to have the option as a CCL to OC, i.e. summer time, removing heavy winter coat inside buildings, etc.

Now, I also believe that any felon that has not had any more criminal incidents after5 years, I see no problem with them OC ... I am still ambivalent about them CC unless they get a governor's pardon, then let them have the CCL. I do know about the pardon process and believe it should be revised for non-violent felons. As it is, a felon must wait a certain amount of years past the end of any parole or probation and go through a 6 month investigation. That seems a little extreme for a non-violent offense.

For ex: sml's daughter ... just what in her crime or her background shows any reason to believe that she would suddenly grab a gun and harm someone? :banghead:This is definitely throwing the baby out with the bathwater and is a prime example of how lowering the bar on felony can make a felony out of misdemeanor crimes ... seems to me the state thinks it is in the business of making felons.

This is a sticky issue and there are a lot of sides to consider.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Once again... anyone.... show me where there has been a problem OC'ing in a state that allows unlicensed OC. Why in the world, if there is not problem, would you want to ask the government for permission or assume that you were solving a problem that does NOT exist? Not only can you not find any statistically meaningful number of problems, I'm not sure you can even find 5 or even 1.

Bullbuster

imported post

Allot of folks are on both sides of the fence for OC. Those for it is divided yet again for licensed and unlicensed OC. We all know this and have our reasons.

One thing no one has even mentioned yet is how many gun owners other than those with permits orthose active in the gun rights picture actually read up on the laws and regulations regularly. I'm willing to bet not many. So with that said I'm willing to bet that IF OC was allowed here in OK without a permit many people wouldn't even know it that are current gun owners much less non gun owners. I'm sure the same could be said for some permit holders. So to say if unlicensed OC was allowed that every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be walking the streets armed causing trouble is a bit far fetched. Your not going to have gang bangers walking around OC'ing as they could care less for gun laws in the first place but they aren't going to advertise they have a gun anyway. LEO's know who gang members are and how they dress. I'm sure if they say one walking the streets OC'ing dress in gang colors they would stop them question them. I don't see that happening to the man or woman walking down the street with spouse and kids in hand.

For those of you who have said you know gun owners or permit holders who you don't feel should be carrying in the first place why don't you take the time to teach them a few things. But if they meet the requirements according to the state then whats the problem other than your personal views of who should and shouldn't carry.