• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where have you OC'd

KPatrick

imported post

I've been OC'ing for a couple of weeks. I've been using this website: http://friendorfoe.us to keep track of the places I've OC'd, or seen "No Weapons" signs. I'm in 26505, so you can see what it looks like. I think it's a great resource, and would really help the guys and gals who are new to OC.

There were no reviews for my location when I started, but I've been adding them as I can. I've gotten two other people to OC since I've started, and showing them this website, where they can check and see how it's been for other people in specific places in their community was a great selling point.

Enjoy.

http://friendorfoe.us

--- KPatrick (WV)

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks for adding to the site! I'm glad it is useful for you and helps get others out OCing. I've got several updates coming down the pipe that I hope will make it a bit more user friendly.

KPatrick

imported post

If I could make a suggestion? I don't know if this is possible, but some businesses aren't listed, or have moved and have new addresses. Might there be a way to add a new business to the map? It looks like googlemaps, so i'm not sure that you can alter that or not.

I really like the site, and it's brought a couple of people in my city to OC. There were no reviews for Morgantown when I first found it, and I think we're pushing 30 now.

Thanks!

---KP

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It does use google maps for the business search, so smaller ones may not show up. Also, it can be a little picky about the listing, so try zooming in pretty close to where it is and do a generic search like restaurant or hardware and you'll sometimes get the right place in the results.

I'm working on a way to add businesses that aren't listed in google's database, but don't have an ETA yet.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Google has a database of businesses, but users of the site enter the ratings.

There's a link to Add a New Business rating in the top right. That will get you a search page so you can find the business and rate it.

Duplicates are OK and more frequent visits, and thus more ratings, will give a business a higher (or lower) score.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

ncpatriot

Jobsite, Bad Neighborhood

In my state of NC, OC is somewhat risky if done out on the streets. Technically legal but one can be charged with "going armed to the terror of the public". This is a vague statute, allowing one to be charged if his being armed causes fright to others around him. Well, that's pretty subjective. I could carry around some people and have no question raised. Walk by some others around here, doing nothing wrong and they freak at the sight of a gun. That's all it takes. So i mostly do CC.

I have been OC at a jobsite, working on a house in a BAD neighborhood. I asked owner's permission to OC, don't go out in the street, stay in the house or on the lot. I can't be seen as a target. A neighbor came over and asked me about doing some work for him. We talked a while. He saw the gun, wasn't bothered by it. A couple of street guys came up, asking about jobs, 1 wanting cigarette money. His eyes got big for a second, but he relaxed. I was friendly and polite to everyone who came up. I don't know it as a fact, but I think I have a good defense with the permission and staying on property points. Passersby don't have to enter the lot or house. They do so of their free will.

I think the best situation in a given town would be that a crook comes to town, looking for easy targets. He sees a number of people OC which unnerves him. Then he wonders who is doing CC & decides it's too much risk for him.

Dreamer

In my state of NC, OC is somewhat risky if done out on the streets. Technically legal but one can be charged with "going armed to the terror of the public".

Don't get too wound up about a GAttTotP charge. It is used to bully people who OC by LEOs who don't like it, but even if they DO charge you, the DA will almost ALWAYS throw out the charge if there are no other extenuating circumstances.

The ONLY time this charge really gets used is when someone is doing something else illegal, like threatening someone, or violating a restraining order, or as part of an armed robbery or assault.

I don't know of any lawfull OCers who've ever actualy had this charge stick. And very few ever even get formally charged. CC instructors like to scare people with this law, because it's their job to push CC. If more people in NC knew the law about OC, the CC instructor industry would collapse!...

Carry, be polite, and keep your hands off your firearm when in public. You've got nothign to worry about.

Just stay away from Cary and Chapel Hill... ;)

Welcome, and good luck!

Dreamer

Then he wonders who is doing CC & decides it's too much risk for him.

Well where I live, in Beaufort County, I only know of ONE person who regularly OCs, and that's me.

According to the published statistics, there are about 800 CHP holders in this county. So if a BG sees ONE OCer in Beaufort County, he needs to figure that there are 800+ other law-abiding citizens who COULD BE carrying concealed as well.

And the numbers are much higher in the more urban areas...