• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Lynnwood and introduction

Pdker

imported post

Hello all. Long time lurker here, just never had anything to report till now.

Decided to utilize the beautiful day to make my Pro- 2nd pilgrimage to Starbucks. Then of course I checked out the Asian grocery. I was in such a pleasant mood strolling down the 34th on my way back home when I heard a commotion to my rear. I then hear a squad door open and a dog going ballistic. I turn my head and see two police cars parked on the other side of the street and two officers looking for a gap in the traffic to cross the street to follow me. Assuming its for me I wait up for them. Officer 1 approaches me square on and from the middle of the street yells, "are you one of them carry activists?"

I respond, I'm not very active in general. He asked "you are then?" by this time reaching the sidewalk. He extends to shake my hand and I except, causing me to remove the grocery bag from my strong side. Then the pleasantries where over and came the litany of questions.

"are you OK?" - "I guess"

"whats your name?" - "Paul"

"where you from?" - "Lynnwood'

"where in Lynnwood?" - "huh? Just over there."

"Your from Lynnwood, you've lived here all your life?" - "Pretty much"

"Because where I am from it is common to see people with firearms, we know you know its not illegal but here it can only cause an unwarranted alarm, But that's what your after right?" - "No"

Then officer 2 who is to my right asked, "Do you always keep your hammer back like that?" - "yes"

"Why?" - (I don't recall my response)

"We don't keep our hammers back." with a smile - "OK" (I wasn't in the mood to tell him about how the 1911 works.)

Officer 1.
"Are you trained, in firearm safety?"
- I practice draw and fire exercises... "Because I'm a firearm safety instructor and I wouldn't." he then went on about how i was going to shoot myself in the leg and how unnecessary it was for me to carry at all where i live. Sensing a very long lecture, with the end being to talk down to me about how i was endangering the lives of others, I yawned and said, "alright then."

he then extended his hand again, I shook it and walked way.

I felt I acted civil. I wasn't in the mood to argue the merits of the stop with them.

I have really enjoyed this form and have learned enough to know i was with in my rights.

critics of my conduct are more then welcome in order for me to learn from this.

heresolong

imported post

I think you did excellently. You gave them enough information to keep them happy and make it a positive encounter, you kept your answers short enough that you didn't get into an argument or give them something to harass you with if that was their goal.

I would print out an article about the appropriate method of carrying a 1911 and have it delivered to the police department as a courtesy. They probably don't carry cocked and locked because they aren't carrying 1911s.

Well done and welcome to the forum.

DaemonForce

imported post

The 1911 is probably the only kind of firearm that creates alarm. It's that damn cocked and locked hammer. People recognize when a gun looks like it's cocked andthat's usually whenI ask open carriers if their sidearm is a 1911. Just because it's cocked doesn't make it any less safe but it's just an oddball safety design. Anyway good job. It sounds like someone went out of their way to try and provoke you. :?

While I've never seen a 1911 here, I'll admitthe first time I saw onecaused a bit of a fuss just from appearance alone. I don't understand the design and I don't really care to know.All I know isI've never heard of one accidentally discharging so I have an odd half-assed appreciation for them. :celebrate

midiwall

imported post

heresolong wrote:
They probably don't carry cocked and locked because they aren't carrying 1911s.
What's funny is that if they're carrying an XD or Glock, and they carry +1, then given those designs, they _are_ technically carrying cocked & locked. _and_ with less safeties between them and a live round than a 1911! :)

Pdker

imported post

Once they saw I was unsympathetic with their speech, and they wouldn't convince me to stop carrying, he shut down. I thought about going into the cocked and locked thing, but I figured it wouldn't do any good.

Batousaii

imported post

I think you did excellent, diffused the situation with as little confrontation as possible, and still were able to show that your going to keep practicing your rights.

- Welcome to the forum :)

:cool:Bat

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Pdker wrote:
Once they saw I was unsympathetic with their speech, and they wouldn't convince me to stop carrying, he shut down. I thought about going into the cocked and locked thing, but I figured it wouldn't do any good.
Out of sheer curiosity, could you tell what kind of duty weapons they were carrying? Easy to say that you "don't keep your hammer cocked" when you've got a GLOCK!

Pdker

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Pdker wrote:
Out of sheer curiosity, could you tell what kind of duty weapons they were carrying? Easy to say that you "don't keep your hammer cocked" when you've got a GLOCK!

I'm not sure, their comments would make me assume something Sig like.

Stretch

imported post

heresolong wrote:
They probably don't carry cocked and locked because they aren't carrying 1911s.
That's what I admired about, I believe his title is, the Grant County Under-sheriff. 1911 cocked and locked. Even at a funeral. ;)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Pdker wrote:

"Because where I am from it is common to see people with firearms, we know you know its not illegal but here it can only cause an unwarranted alarm, But that's what your after right?" - "No"

He was trying to bait you into an admission so he could sock you with a RCW 9.41.270 charge.

I actually live in Lynnwood and have dealt with this issue extensively with the higher ups within the PD. Pdker, can you private message me off list with exactly the same, place, and the officers names if you have them? It's still inappropriate behavior on their part and they need to stop trying to entrap people with questions.