• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Craziness at 7-11

dustin.vallee88

imported post

This took place Fri. night at the 7-11 in Lynnwood Wa. I was up there visiting some friends I know in the area and stopped in to grab a couple cigar's to share with a buddy. It was probably around 7:30PM when I arrived. I wasOCing with my Glock 23 strapped to my leg. So I go into the store and grab a small bag of chips and head to the counter to get my cigar's and make my purchase and there is a Large VERYDRUNK man near the counter. I walk up to the counter and point out the cigar's to the clerk. The drunk guy walks up to me and grabs my arm and says "I see you got a side arm there." So I yank my arm out of his hand and twist my hip around as so he can't reach for the glock (even though he can't just yank it out) and I say in a stern voice "Yes I Do" So we sit there for about 5-10 sec staring at each other and the clerk is staring at both of us and then the man walks out of the store. I pay for my stuff and the clerk appologizes to me(not that I know why he would appologize) and I walk outside. The man is out there and gets into someone elses car and yells at me while leaving. I'm not sure but I think he called me an "Iggnorant N****r" which Iwas a little confused by being that I am white (Not that anyone deserves to be called by that title). At first the situation made me feel like I would have been better off if I had just not been OCing in the first place but then after I started thinking about it I'm glad I had it ready and accesible just in case he wanted to do something really crazy. Any thoughts? I know I could have handled it alot better just being in the moment and all I was caught a little off guard.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
Maybe you should trade your Glock for an XD! :lol:

That would be a 'negative.'

You did everything fine as far as I can tell. May have been a bit of motivation for the drunk guy to move on...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
I know I could have handled it alot better just being in the moment and all I was caught a little off guard.

I think you performed admirably.

Primarily, because you did not escalate the situation. After he grabbed your arm and you released it....you just basically let it pass.

Smart. The guy was not a real threat. He was just a drunken fool.

n16ht5

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
Maybe you should trade your Glock for an XD! :lol:

now THEM's fighten words, boy! :lol:

I hope I would have done the same as you, I don't see anything wrong.

n16ht5

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
Probably should have watched him as he approached.  But it's not like we have eyes in the back of our heads...  It is something to think about...

sorry but we don't all have eight eyes :lol: :p

kenshin

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Wait, I don't see the part where you called the police after he assaulted you.
I agree, report it to the police at the least. Hopefully, they can get him off the street before he does something really stupid, like actually reach for the gun instead of your arm.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
This took place Fri. night at the 7-11 in Lynnwood Wa.  I was up there visiting some friends I know in the area and stopped in to grab a couple cigar's to share with a buddy.  It was probably around 7:30PM when I arrived.  I was OCing with my Glock 23 strapped to my leg.  So I go into the store and grab a small bag of chips and head to the counter to get my cigar's and make my purchase and there is a Large VERY DRUNK man near the counter.  I walk up to the counter and point out the cigar's to the clerk.  The drunk guy walks up to me and grabs my arm and says "I see you got a side arm there."  So I yank my arm out of his hand and twist my hip around as so he can't reach for the glock (even though he can't just yank it out) and I say in a stern voice "Yes I Do" So we sit there for about 5-10 sec staring at each other and the clerk is staring at both of us and then the man walks out of the store.  I pay for my stuff and the clerk appologizes to me(not that I know why he would appologize) and I walk outside.  The man is out there and gets into someone elses car and yells at me while leaving.  I'm not sure but I think he called me an "Iggnorant N****r" which I was a little confused by being that I am white (Not that anyone deserves to be called by that title).  At first the situation made me feel like I would have been better off if I had just not been OCing in the first place but then after I started thinking about it I'm glad I had it ready and accesible just in case he wanted to do something really crazy.  Any thoughts?  I know I could have handled it alot better just being in the moment and all I was caught a little off guard.

Which 7-11? Lynnwood is my territory and the folks at the local 7-11's know me by my open carry, heh.

Mainsail

imported post

kenshin wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Wait, I don't see the part where you called the police after he assaulted you.
I agree, report it to the police at the least. Hopefully, they can get him off the street before he does something really stupid, like actually reach for the gun instead of your arm.

I agree with both of us. He could easily have called the police on YOU and reported you for brandishing, assault, or a dozen other charges. Two hours after you get home the police show up and arrest you, and then the onus is on you to prove the charges are made-up. I wouldn’t stake my firearms rights and my freedom on the video surveillance system at the 7-11 either, they sometimes fail or a bad angle could leave it in doubt. I don’t understand the reluctance to call the police when something like this happens. That could have ended horribly on a number of different levels.

I'd still like to hear your reasoning for not calling the police.

dustin.vallee88

imported post

I have no specific reasoning for not calling the police really other than I didn't think it got far enough to involve them at the time. I mean I think I might feel a little wierd calling the police about an assault where nobody was kicked, punched, slapped, bruised or even minorly injured. Although I can see where you guys are coming from I think I would feel a little childish saying "Mr. officer, he touched my arm" Also I don't see how I could recieve a brandishing charge when I never even touched the firearm.

Mainsail

imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
The drunk guy walks up to me and grabs my arm and says...

So I yank my arm out of his hand ...

...and yells at me while leaving.

I'm not sure but I think he called me an "Iggnorant N****r"...

just in case he wanted to do something really crazy.
These quotes all seem to indicate that it was a hostile encounter. Did he grab your arm (which is an assault) or did he merely touch your arm?

IF he wanted to make your life difficult because he objects to OC, he can claim you pulled your gun on him for no reason. IOW, it'll be his word against yours. That's why YOU always want to be the first one to call the police.

To me that’s the most worrying thing about OC, the anti-gun weirdo making a false claim. If I encounter someone who is hostile and assaults me, I’m calling the police. You asked for a critique of your actions, that’s it.

dustin.vallee88

imported post

Yeah I can see where your coming from about false statements....I'll take that as food for thought for a next time(hopefully there isn't one). I'm looking at getting a good tape recorder in the next week or so but maybe I'll wait an extra couple weeks and get a video recorder instead.

midiwall

imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
Yeah I can see where your coming from about false statements....I'll take that as food for thought for a next time(hopefully there isn't one). I'm looking at getting a good tape recorder in the next week or so but maybe I'll wait an extra couple weeks and get a video recorder instead.
Hmmm...

Video & Voice:
http://www.amazon.com/Ninjas-Working-Pinhole-Recorder-Charger/dp/B001TMA8GY/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Voice only:
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/dp4802.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8VvwO7ZrI
(turn down the volume for watching this)

You'll wanna do more research, but something like that can keep down the deterrent of having a video camera mounted on your eye glasses, or a voice recorder that you have to pull out from somewhere to activate.