• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALERT!!!!! KVI 4 O'CLOCK HOUR - RIGHT NOW

Dave Workman

imported post

Carlson is on with Ralph Fascitelli WA CeaseFire talking about guns in parks..

570 AM

Tawnos

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Carlson is on with Ralph Fascitelli WA CeaseFire talking about guns in parks..

570 AM
I didn't hear it, but let me guess:
OMG shootouts, wild west, children, public place, safer without, gun lobby, wharrrgarrbl!

DaemonForce

imported post

Okay I'll think of the kids then. Give them some new guns. Oh wait I'm sorry wrong forum, I thought this was Montana. Evergreen...Evergreen! This ain't no Blue Mountain.:p

Wow they're one of the safest states. Dare I say it? Safer than Washington. I wonder why. :?

amzbrady

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
I'd love it if some of our high schools had shooting teams. I'd get my daughter into that in a heartbeat.
A school teaching our kids real life lessons? If only. Our school taught bow and arrow for PE, Gun Safety would have been awesome. My sons scout troop shot 22 rifles and pistols when he was 11. They all followed the rules, learned gun safety, and had fun.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
"blah blah blah, panic panic blah, think of the children, blah!"

That about sums it up.
I found this one the web somewhere. I didn't write it and I haven't found the author to give credit for it.

What about the kids

For about 2 months now I have become quite active in the open carry movement. I was until then completely unaware of what was going on regarding this issue, especially in my own state until I happened upon opencarry.org. In this time I have read a tremendous amount of fact, laws and happenings in my state and others who do or do not support this.

For those of you who don’t know open carry is the ability to carry your pistol out in the open on your body without the need of a permit to conceal and carry. Indecently a right granted to us under the Constitution of the United States and a right that 6 states forbid you from exercising.

So that being said; how about the kids? What do kids have to do with this? Well recently this has come to light because a mother of 3 chose to exercise her right, chose to exercise her right to protect her family and she did it while watching her kids play soccer in a park. This has sparked all kinds of praise and hate towards her. Parents think that a park is no place for a gun, and that because they never have crime there that she doesn’t need to protect herself or family. As she says in the defense of her actions “When seconds count the police are minutes away”, “no expected the need to protect themselves at the Amish school” and “no one expected to need to protect themselves at Virginia Tech”. Just because a crime has never taken place in some particular spot don’t mean you shouldn’t expect it or that it will never happen.

A lot of the skeptics claim that the presence of an openly carried firearm scares the kids and gives them the wrong message (what ever that message is). Many parents say that it’s not needed and it’s unsafe for them to be around the kids.

The fact of the matter is that the kids directly react how they should solely due to how they are taught about things in the home by their parents. If a parent hates guns and continues to tell a child it’s a bad thing, then when that child sees it they will think that person who has it is bad. Another thing is parents say it causes too much curiosity in a child and draws them to it. How many times did mommy or daddy tell you not to touch something and you did it anyway? You did it because they said don’t and the allure of a forbidden thing draws you to it out of curiosity.

We are told that it is irresponsible for us to have weapons around kids. I think it’s irresponsible for us not to teach the kids about firearms. We teach them about everything else. We tell our kids to stay away from strangers, to not play with knifes, to not play with matches, not to smoke and definitely teach them the bad things that drugs and alcohol can do to them. Why not firearms? Isn’t drunk driving just as bad as teaching them about guns? There are more kids killed in drunk driving accidents than kids killed by guns.

Let’s use my son as an example. He is 8 years old and I and his mother both do everything we can to protect him from harm, we teach him about all the bad things out there like what I mentioned before. Why stop at a firearm? When my son was old enough to crawl and grab onto things I began making the firearm a familiar thing in the house, not something hidden and forbidden. I didn’t leave them lying around the house but I did wear mine all the time. When he was old enough to talk and asked me for the first time what that thing was on my hip I explained to him what it was. I explained to him and continue to explain to him that it is a tool. A tool to defend oneself from the bad people in life (sounds corny I know but effective). I took him out and taught him how to shoot, how to respect its power and what it can do.

Do I trust my son around guns? YES! I continue to test him to see if my teachings are still stuck in his little brain. I have an old Co2 pellet pistol that’s resembles a .357 revolver that no longer works, it can’t be loaded and all the seals have been removed so it can’t be pressurized. I will leave it sitting out so when my son comes home from school he will see it. He does exactly as he is taught to do. He comes to me and tells me “daddy, there is a gun sitting on the kitchen counter. You know you’re not supposed to leave that out.” I will ask him sometimes if he touched it to which he answers no (I know he didn’t because unbeknown to him I’m watching him and his reaction to it). Sometimes I will ask him to bring me the gun to which he replies “no, it’s loaded and I’m not supposed to play with loaded guns.”

Now if you were really reading this and paid attention you would notice that I stated the gun was unloaded and that my son told me that it WAS. Why is this? Why would my son lie to me? He lied because he has always been taught that no matter what he does, what he sees, what he thinks, the gun is always loaded and to never expect them to be otherwise. He knows never to pick up, touch, or play with a loaded firearm.

So is it that difficult to teach your kids about guns when you teach them about everything else that might accidentally kill them? I choose to protect my family. I choose not to be a victim. I most certainly choose for my son not to be a victim curiosity.

-Keebler

amzbrady

imported post

In my world, I call it racismwhen someone says a person with a gun is bad, we are no more a bad person than a person of a different color than that of ourselves.

Lante

imported post

My kids were 6 when they started range master duties....

Nothing like giving your kids a whistle to motivate them to learn the rules so they can ensure the grown ups are doing it right!

That plus the same style of Eddie Eagle rules "test" of a left out (non working) gun does wonders.

Even my special needs child understands Stop, Don't Touch, Get a grown up. - - (or in his case his twin brother!)

Machoduck

imported post

amzbrady, what you're referring to is bigotry and it's not limited to race prejudice. When certain characteristics attributed to a collective are ascribed to an individual who may or may not be a member of the collective in question, you have bigotry. It isn't limited to race or religion either. These pinheads who think that ''anybody with a gun is bad; you have a gun; therefore, you're bad'' may be a perfect syllogism but it's bigotry. Bigotry is the moral flaw of the bigot; we are under no duty to assuage his guilt by behaving differently ourselves.

MD

DaemonForce

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
amzbrady, what you're referring to is bigotry and it's not limited to race prejudice. When certain characteristics attributed to a collective are ascribed to an individual who may or may not be a member of the collective in question, you have bigotry. It isn't limited to race or religion either. These pinheads who think that ''anybody with a gun is bad; you have a gun; therefore, you're bad'' may be a perfect syllogism but it's bigotry. Bigotry is the moral flaw of the bigot
I can follow on that. I believe the idea is straight shot bigotry minus all of the details being worked out. Usually from old people that aren't quite in grandpa's range but older than 40. The ones that actually use their heads to determine this conclusion are probably around my age andcould bebrainwashed by ABC, the Brady bunch, Ceasefire...I'm assuming they thinksomethinglike this:

Wow a guy strapped to a gun...
I bet he carries because bad shit happens to him.
Wait if bad shit happens to him often enough for him to warrant carrying this thing, it must be a bad idea to be around him.
But I bet that's why he carries.
Should I ask him?
Just look at the way his gun is holstered.
He's probably an itchy finger, so best not provoke him.
Did he just look this way?
Run away! :uhoh:

It's a valid conclusion assuming nothing bad happens to you in the first place. So if you live in safe places, okay you have a point. Otherwise it falls flat when the truth hits you in the real and unsafe world. :cool:

Aryk45XD

imported post

awesome story. I've seen it too, though I can't recall. I have been reading and studying so much about WA laws and such since I realized this is an open carry state.

I missed the news. Damn that work place.

amzbrady

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
amzbrady, what you're referring to is bigotry and it's not limited to race prejudice. When certain characteristics attributed to a collective are ascribed to an individual who may or may not be a member of the collective in question, you have bigotry. It isn't limited to race or religion either. These pinheads who think that ''anybody with a gun is bad; you have a gun; therefore, you're bad'' may be a perfect syllogism but it's bigotry. Bigotry is the moral flaw of the bigot; we are under no duty to assuage his guilt by behaving differently ourselves.

MD
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e10_1202973842