• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb twp. board meeting

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Is anyone interested in attending the Macomb twp board meeting with me this Wednesday at 7pm? Here is the web site

http://www.macomb-mi.gov/Minutes%20and%20Agendas/TB%202010%20Agendas/04February242010.pdf

For those of you who do not remember we had an OC picnic in Macomb twp last year and we were told by the under sheriff that they were going to uphold their illegal ordinances banning firearms in parks. Aftrwards, they learned of preemption and the twp. supervisor went on record as saying they would have the ordinance repealed.

That was last August. To date, nothing has been done and after several emails I was told that it was "put on a tickler for March". I intend to see that it is followed through on.

These are the original articles written on the picnic.

Firearm fans plan picnic

Thursday, August 13, 2009
By Frank DeFrank, Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Picnic supply list: charcoal and lighter fluid, check.
burgers and 'dogs, check.
.45-caliber pistol and holster, check.

Firearms could be as plentiful as fixin's Saturday when Michigan Open Carry holds a picnic at Macomb Corners Park in Macomb Township. Michigan Open Carry is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the legal right to carry handguns. On its Web site, the organization outlines its objectives:

To educate and desensitize the public and members of the law enforcement community about the legality of the open carry of a handgun in public.

To exercise a natural right to self defense using the most efficient and common tool, a handgun.

To demonstrate to the public at large that gun owners are one of the most lawful segments of society and they have nothing to fear from the lawful carry of a firearm.

To protect our right to self-defense.

Periodically, the group holds events to draw attention to its efforts.

"Basically, the objective is to raise awareness … (and) to help educate the public and raise awareness regarding lawful open carry of a firearm in Michigan," said John Roshek, Southeast Regional Coordinator of Michigan Open Carry.

Under Michigan law, handgun owners can carry their weapons openly provided the guns are in plain view, properly holstered and the owners adhere to other restrictions. They are not required to secure permits.

That's exactly what many of those who will participate in Saturday's picnic intend to do. Roshek said the organization boasts about 520 members and he hopes a big chunk of the membership turns out Saturday.

But carrying a firearm is not a prerequisite to attending the picnic. In fact, Roshek said, organizers hope other unarmed folks stop by for a burger and conversation. That just might dispel some myths about firearm aficionados, he said. "There's never been anybody who ran away from us," he quipped. "Generally, it (opposition) is based on fear, it's not based on fact." Roshek acknowledged some might be a little intimidated to share the picnic grounds with a group whose members strap side arms on their hips.

On a few occasions, police have been summoned, including once when law enforcement authorities brought a special mobile command unit in response to a complaint. "I think they wasted a lot of taxpayers' dollars (to investigate) some guys with their wives and kids grilling some burgers," Roshek said.

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said the Michigan Open Carry members are within their rights to hold a picnic in a public park, even with handguns resting against their sides. "They're correct in their interpretation of the law," the sheriff said. "They pretty much know the rules." Hackel said his department has no reason to provide additional police presence.

The Michigan Open Carry picnic will be held beginning at noon at Macomb Corners Park, located on the north side of 25 Mile Road just west of Broughton Road, Macomb Township. For more information about the group, visit its Web site at [url]http://www.miopencarry.org[/url].

Law backs right of gun group to hold picnic

Friday, August 14, 2009
By Frank DeFrank, Macomb Daily Staff Writer

A Macomb Township ordinance that bans firearms in public parks caused a bit of a stir Thursday and briefly threatened a public picnic planned by a gun-rights group. But after consultations among a representative of Michigan Open Carry, township lawyers and officials and Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel, the picnic at Macomb Corners Park will proceed as planned Saturday.

"They're good to go," said Mark Grabow, Macomb Township supervisor.

The controversy centered on the township ordinance and a state law. Township officials initially cited their ordinance as the prevailing law, which likely would have resulted either in cancellation of the picnic or the specter of deputy sheriffs writing tickets to all who attended. But John Roshek, Southeast Regional Coordinator of Michigan Open Carry, brought to the attention of local officials a Michigan law that pre-empts local governments from imposing restrictions on firearm possession. The law is based on a 2003 case involving the city of Ferndale decided by the Michigan Court of Appeals.

After a flurry of telephone calls and discussions among the principals, Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel delivered the final verdict late Thursday afternoon. "They (Michigan Open Carry) are right," the sheriff said. "The group … can carry their guns."

Roshek was confident the state law would prevail, but he said he was pleased the confusion could be resolved in a civil manner. "We're a non-confrontational group," Roshek said. "We're not out to cause any problems." Roshek also said the uncertainty of public officials underscores the reason his group holds events like the picnic: to educate the public about Michigan gun laws.

"This is a perfect example," he said. Grabow said township officials will revisit the ordinance and make any changes necessary to comply with the law. "We'll rectify it so we're in compliance with the court of appeals ruling," Grabow said. Michigan Open Carry will begin its picnic at noon.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I thought the meeting went very well. There were a lot of attendees so many of the residents became aware of OC.

Thanks to sprinklerguy +1, scot623, mikestilly for coming out. Sprinklerguy, scot623 and I addressed the board and made our point. Mike videotaped the event and is working on getting it up on you tube. We will have this on MOC's homepage as well very soon.

On a side note, I was pulled out of the room by a Macomb county leo within 2 minutes of entering the meeting. I was lectured on how this wasn't a good idea and I should cover up, I politely declined. I was also told that I was probably in violation of the local ordinance, to which I replied that I know all about it and that is why I was there. I gave the officer the story as to what happened and excused myself to rejoin the meeting.

I head the voice news paper interviewed sprinklerguy. Also on my way out of the meeting some residents asked me for pamphlets as well as that LEO who originally declined it when I offered it to him in the beginning.

Thanks everyone! Tonight was a victory!

scot623

imported post

Being my second time addressing a city coucil/twp. board, I have to say I quite like it. I am looking forward to speaking again if need be and getting progressively better. Please keep searching your own cities ordinances so we can get out there to correct them when they are outdated.