Thread: Sig P226 recoil

Post imported post

Hello, I recently purchased a Sig P226 in .40 S&W. I can shoot much more accurately with this than I can with my 9mm Ruger P95, but the recoil is almost unbearable. After about 3 magazines (36 rounds) my hand can't take it any more. I have shot a few 1911's and XD's in .45 ACP and haven't had any problem with the recoil.

A few months back I had surgery on my hand so I expect some discomfort but other firearms haven't been giving me much trouble. Why does my Sig seems so different? What have your experiences with this model or cartridge been?

Thanks,
    Geoff

Post imported post

I think it's just the caliber. My wife, and most women I've seen shoot, prefer either the 9mm or the .45

My wife likes the .45 the most.

9mm is snappy but light.
    .45 is a solid rear push.

To me the .40 is a solid snap.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

Post imported post

It's definitely the caliber. I've found that .45 tends to shove itself into your web while .40 tries to pop itself up out of your hands. Be thankful you have a heavy framed pistol as the lighter the frame is, the worse the recoil is. Try shooting an H&K in .40 and you'll see what I mean.

Post imported post

+1 for the caliber being the culprit.

I've found that .40 S&W is a notoriously "snappy" cartridge in every handgun I've ever fired that was chambered for it.

As others have said, the .45 ACP is more of a push and less snappy.

Post imported post

Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately, that is what I was thinking as well. I had never fired a .40 cal before, but I had seen enough good reviews about the 226 in 9mm that I figured it was worth a shot. Looks like I'll have to start pricing out a .45 for my next one.

Geoff

Post imported post

Geoff wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately, that is what I was thinking as well. I had never fired a .40 cal before, but I had seen enough good reviews about the 226 in 9mm that I figured it was worth a shot. Looks like I'll have to start pricing out a .45 for my next one.

Geoff

If you like the P226 platform, but not the .40, try looking for a P220 in .45, or even the P226 in 9mm. You shouldn't have any problem finding someone to swap you one of those for your .40. Good luck!

-G20

Post imported post

I know they make conversion barrels to go to .357 Sig with my slide, but I'm thinking that recoil would be even more harsh.

Geoff

Post imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    Geoff wrote:

Geoff

If you like the P226 platform, but not the .40, try looking for a P220 in .45, or even the P226 in 9mm. You shouldn't have any problem finding someone to swap you one of those for your .40. Good luck!

-G20
    This is very good advice.

Put me in the crowd that doesn't like .40S&W because of the snappy recoil when compared to the push of a .45 and the gentle crack of a 9mm. To each their own, I just don't like .40 short n weak.

Post imported post

Geoff wrote:
    I know they make conversion barrels to go to .357 Sig with my slide, but I'm thinking that recoil would be even more harsh.

Geoff
    It will be no improvement for you. The .357 Sig cartridge compared to the 40 will have roughly the same snap, it is just done a little quicker, with less muzzle-rise. A 9mm or .45 is what I would look for, were I you.