• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Back from "Running THE Park" (fully armed)

MountainGator

imported post

Red Lodge is70 miles (or so) from the NE Entrance to Yellowstone (YNP or "THE" Park as some of the locals call it), however that road is closed in the winter (goes over two 11,000 ft passes) so the trip to Cooke City, MT is 230 miles one way.

On the road about 6:30 a.m., and we hit the North entrance @ Gardner, MT about 10:00. Had the Winchester hanging in the back window gun rack in the PU. Handed the Ranger my DL, Senior Pass and my MT CWP along with a big smile. Drove to the Park HQ @ Manmoth, then to Tower Junction, then up the Lamar Valley exiting the park at the NE Entrance @ Silvergate, and on to an early lunch in Cooke City. After lunch, back in @ Silvergate (same DL, Senior Pass and MT CWP) along with the smile. We stopped and Snowshoed at one of the trails on Soda Creek, and when we did, I strapped on the Blackhawk (loaded w/ BoffaloBore Heavy). About 3 miles out & back in one of the most beautiful places on the planet... all while exercising my first freedom... Our RKBA!

No encounters (other than the rangers @ the entrances) and oh yes, the No Weapons signs were gone.

Catherine

imported post

MountainGator wrote:
Red Lodge is70 miles (or so) from the NE Entrance to Yellowstone (YNP or "THE" Park as some of the locals call it), however that road is closed in the winter (goes over two 11,000 ft passes) so the trip to Cooke City, MT is 230 miles one way.

On the road about 6:30 a.m., and we hit the North entrance @ Gardner, MT about 10:00. Had the Winchester hanging in the back window gun rack in the PU. Handed the Ranger my DL, Senior Pass and my MT CWP along with a big smile. Drove to the Park HQ @ Manmoth, then to Tower Junction, then up the Lamar Valley exiting the park at the NE Entrance @ Silvergate, and on to an early lunch in Cooke City. After lunch, back in @ Silvergate (same DL, Senior Pass and MT CWP) along with the smile. We stopped and Snowshoed at one of the trails on Soda Creek, and when we did, I strapped on the Blackhawk (loaded w/ BoffaloBore Heavy). About 3 miles out & back in one of the most beautiful places on the planet... all while exercising my first freedom... Our RKBA!

No encounters (other than the rangers @ the entrances) and oh yes, the No Weapons signs were gone.

Great!

Catherine
Open Carry Advocate Using Any Type Of Firearm

MountainGator

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Why did you present your CWP at the gate?

Two reason actually...

1) While unlicensed CCW is legal outside of a city, or anytime in a carin Montana, that is not the case in Wyoming. In WY you must be licensed to CCW (WY recognizes both my MT & FL),AND it is generally accepted that for anyunlicensed vehicle carry inWY, the FA should be clearly visable. Since the laterdoesn't appy to licensed CCW carry, I was attempting to show the entrance rangers that I was completely legal in having (multiple) FA's in my vehicle EVEN IF THEY COULD NOT SEE IT!

2) It just so happens that I carry both my CWP(s) and DL/MT-ID card in a ID Case, and in addition to my "Senior Pass" I have to show ID to prove that it's really the guy who signed the pass, who istrying to use the pass. I wasn't going to take my CWP(s) out of the ID case to hide that fact that I was legally carrying.